Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange metal piece found in Epson P800 unpacking  (Read 3147 times)

Schmoe

Strange metal piece found in Epson P800 unpacking
« on: January 14, 2018, 12:58:25 pm »

Hi, in unpacking my P800 (and removing gobs of blue tape), I found this piece of metal (see attachment) on top of the manual feed tray.  I didn't see any mention in the setup guide to pieces of metal that are loose and should be removed.  I'm worried that it's a real piece of the printer that should not have come loose, but I can't tell if it belongs somewhere.  The printer seems to be functioning fine.  I'm wondering if any folks here know if it's just random packing junk or something else.  Anyone else have this experience?  Thanks.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Strange metal piece found in Epson P800 unpacking
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 01:13:11 pm »

Never seen anything like that. I recommend you call Epson and arrange to send them the photo for a look-see.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Rand47

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 02:00:21 pm »

When you figure out what it is, let the rest of us know.  Inquiring minds and all that . . .    ;D

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Schmoe

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 02:03:31 pm »

When you figure out what it is, let the rest of us know.  Inquiring minds and all that . . .    ;D

Rand

Your timing is uncanny, as not but two minutes before you posted this, I got a reply from Epson essentially saying "we don't know what it is either, so let's play it safe and arrange an exchange".

So.... can anyone tell me how much hassle I'm signing up for in this "exchange"?  The thought of having to repack this printer the way it came overwhelms me a bit...

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2018, 02:09:47 pm »

The important thing first: Did you clarify that they are exchanging it for a similarly new one and not a refurb?

As for the packing - not to worry about it. I've sent printers back to Epson. They aren't too fussy about the details. They provide instructions concerning what to do with the ink (if I remember correctly they tell you to remove it and keep it, but not 100% certain.). Just put some masking tape on parts that can open - i.e. the trays. Then put the printer back into those Styrofoam holders they ship it in, put it in the box and affix their RMA label. If you don't have the Styrofoam any longer, use a thick wrapping of bubble wrap.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2018, 02:11:47 pm »

Don't worry about repacking (and tape), if you haven't placed the cart's in yet, great. If so, not a massive big deal. Just send it off. Epson will likely not be doing much if anything with that unit when received.
I was going to ping the product manager about that piece directly but since you're getting a new unit, not sure it's worth bugging him.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 02:15:59 pm »

As I said, check Epson's instructions about the ink. You may end up better off that way. What you need to do may depend on whether you had already installed it.

Schmoe

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 02:16:42 pm »

The important thing first: Did you clarify that they are exchanging it for a similarly new one and not a refurb?

Goodness, thank you for this tip!  I will make sure to clarify.  So far the communication has just been one email I sent explaining the issue, and their one reply saying I should call some number to arrange the exchange.

My other concern is about my rebate submission.  I was about to mail it in... but now not sure if I should wait for the new unit... as the submission is tied to the serial number... and it has to be postmarked within 30 days of purchase (purchased 1/6).

Schmoe

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 02:18:32 pm »

As I said, check Epson's instructions about the ink. You may end up better off that way. What you need to do may depend on whether you had already installed it.

There's no way I could let my new toy just sit there and not get used... :D

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2018, 02:20:32 pm »

OK, if the ink has already been loaded they may well tell you to remove it and keep it, so DO ASK THEM when you call that number. In any case I think this is defined in their RMA instruction sheet.

If you move quickly enough you should still be in time for claiming your rebate. Mention this to them as well and get a commitment that they will honour it.

markgunion

« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2018, 03:35:43 pm »

Schmoe,
  A few months ago I received a P800 with a dead nozzle and did a printer exchange with Epson.    As I understood it, their policy is to exchange for a new machine if the problem occurs, and they are notified, within the first 30 days; after 30 days, the exchange will be for a refurb or a new printer, at Epson's discretion.    So I would not delay getting the exchange set up.   They will send you shipping labels and instructions on packing, and they will tell you what to do with the inks.    I submitted the rebates (new purchase rebate, loyalty rebate) on the exchanged machine, not the originally purchased one; I managed to cram the original and exchange serial numbers, and the exchange number, onto the rebate forms and received the checks for both within the time window Epson specified.   
Good luck,
Mark Gunion

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2018, 03:41:46 pm »

All sounds right. That's my understanding of the exchange policy also - within 30 days a new printer, beyond that a refurb at their discretion, but best to get it confirmed at the time you do the transaction over the phone with them.

Schmoe

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2018, 03:51:31 pm »

Update: so after calling and waiting on hold while they had customer service department look at my photo and compare it to the physical printer, they decided the piece actually isn't from the printer.  They of course can't explain where it came from, but they are assuming it's some by-product of the production process that accidentally was left inside.  They do NOT want to take it in for exchange, but they gave me a bunch of assurances that all the notes are in the system and they'll replace it for free should something arise.  I pushed back on this a bit, in particular on the possibility that there may be some slow degradation that won't result in failure until after my warranty period, but he wouldn't budge.  He assured me it would get replaced, and also tried to convince me that if the piece is really from the printer then the printer will fail sooner rather than later.

This outcome is *probably* OK, though I have no experience with Epson customer service and whether they are likely to err on the side of customer happiness should my unit go south.

I was going to ping the product manager about that piece directly but since you're getting a new unit, not sure it's worth bugging him.

Andrew, if you're still up to this, I would appreciate a second opinion for some peace of mind.  Thanks.

Farmer

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 04:26:22 pm »

That part isn't in the exploded diagrams for the printer, and it doesn't look like anything that would be in it either.  I'd agree that it's just something that found its way into that box and doesn't indicate any issue with your machine.  If you have a case number and agreement to replace in the event there is a failure, that's ideal - you can't lose.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 04:37:35 pm »

The difference between this conversation with Epson and the previous one is that in the second conversation you got confirmation that the component does not belong to the printer, which Phil just confirmed. In the first conversation they had no idea what it was or wasn't so offered the exchange for assurance. I would take the results of the second call as the more determinative, keep a record of the conversation in a "note to file" along with the name of the agent you spoke with, and rest comfortably with Phil's view that you are ideally positioned. Things should be OK, and no hassle.

Schmoe

« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2018, 05:02:35 pm »

Sounds reasonable.  Thanks, everyone, for the advice.

Schmoe

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 11:48:02 am »

Just for completeness of records on this forum, I’ll mention that I just hit a fatal error code (011A) which I talk about in this post: http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=122772

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

texshooter

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 11:13:29 pm »

When I first opened the front bay tray of my Epson 3800, I heard a snap and this thing flew out from the left side. So far nothing fatal. Hope yours doesn't turn out fatal.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 11:18:57 pm by texshooter »

Schmoe

« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 11:15:11 pm »

When I first opened the front bay tray of my Epson 3800, I heard a snap and this thing flew out. So far nothing fatal. Good Luck.

Haha. Thanks. So far so good.............

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pages: [1]   Go Up