Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Miami, 6:34 AM  (Read 2367 times)

Slobodan Blagojevic

• When everyone thinks the same, nobody thinks
    • My website
Miami, 6:34 AM
« on: January 12, 2018, 01:06:06 pm »

A view from the port, mid-December:

Miami, Early Winter Morning
by Slobodan Blagojevic, on Flickr
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 09:24:05 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
Re: Miami, 6:34 AM
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 01:51:35 pm »

A splendid shot, Slobodan! Bravo.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

32BT

• Pictures
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 06:57:13 pm »

Ah, yes, finally a recognisable Slobodan-image again. Excessive noise though, even at this size...
Regards,
~ O ~
If you can stomach it: pictures

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 07:19:20 pm »

... Excessive noise though, even at this size...

I envy your eyesight ;)

The shot was taken at 200mm, 1/80s, f/4.0, handheld from a ship, at 6400 ISO, so couldn't do much about it. I tried some noise-reduction software (outside LR) but came to the conclusion that I prefer the original noise, which looks like fine grains of salt, than the smudged one that looks like a can of worms (at close inspection) that a stand-alone noise-reduction software typically delivers.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 10:57:54 pm by Slobodan Blagojevic »

David Eckels

• It's just a camera.
    • Website
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 08:36:22 pm »

Urban landscape! Very nice, no noise, bad eyesight! Still, I like.

BobDavid

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2018, 09:02:09 pm »

Great shot of a weird city. My only nit is that the green highway signs at the bottom of the frame are too bright relative to the overall scene.

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2018, 08:55:24 am »

I envy your eyesight ;)

The shot was taken at 200mm, 1/80s, f/4.0, handheld from a ship, at 6400 ISO, so couldn't do much about it. I tried some noise-reduction software (outside LR) but came to the conclusion that I prefer the original noise, which looks like fine grains of salt, than the smudged one that looks like a can of worms (at close inspection) that a stand-alone noise-reduction software typically delivers.

Slobodan, You might want to try DxO's PhotoLab Elite. Its noise reduction is in a class by itself in comparison with the other stuff I've tried over the years. There are two versions of noise reduction in PL. One is called "HQ (fast)," and the other is called PRIME. If you select PRIME, you then must export the picture to disk, during which action the noise reduction works. The export and noise reduction takes quite a while, but it's the best I've seen.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

BobDavid

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2018, 04:21:20 pm »

The noise in the sky doesn't bother me. However, if you decide to make a big print...

I've had to come up with some unique recipes for dealing with nighttime scenes shot with my Olympus 43 cameras. I've tried Topaz Denoise 5, and I think the results I get  in PS are far better. And, I've found that there is a fine line between too much noise reduction and not enough.

For example, to mitigate the noise in the sky, I'd flatten the file so it's only one layer. Then duplicate it and convert it to a "smart layer," Add gaussian blur to the bottom layer--not much, maybe  a pixel or two or three. Then add noise (color gaussian) 1% to 2% usually works. And finally, apply .5-1.0 gaussian blur.

Now go back to the top layer, create a mask, select the sky  fill black (or any neutral shade) and see how it looks.

I like leaving the bottom layer a "smart layer" so that it can be re-edited to accommodate a range of print sizes or web resolution.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2018, 04:25:12 pm by BobDavid »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2018, 06:27:53 pm »

However, if you decide to make a big print...
How the times have changed.
For me, for many years, a "regular" size print was 8x10", and a "big print" was 11x14" (but I did make one 16x20" print once, even without trays big enough).

Now, for me, a "big print" is 13x19" and a "huge print" is 17x22" (of which I've only made about a half dozen).

:-\
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

BobDavid

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 03:02:29 am »

How the times have changed.
For me, for many years, a "regular" size print was 8x10", and a "big print" was 11x14" (but I did make one 16x20" print once, even without trays big enough).

Now, for me, a "big print" is 13x19" and a "huge print" is 17x22" (of which I've only made about a half dozen).

:-\

16 X 20 Agfa Brovira: Fond  memories.

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 10:46:54 am »

16 X 20 Agfa Brovira: Fond  memories.
Agfa Brovira was my main paper for a number of years. Here's my Brovira memory:

The only wedding I ever photographed was for a friend while we were both in college. I was using a strobe that took forever to recharge after each shot, and, being impatient (and ignorant) I didn't wait long enough, so most of the negs were grossly underexposed. That was the one time I really needed Agfa Brovira #6 to get a few barely usable prints.

My friend was very forgiving. He is still a good friend, although long since devorced. 

:'(
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2018, 12:22:47 am »

Nice shot, I didn't notice the noise because of the dust on my laptop screen, long story…

The tallest building, is that the Southeast Financial Center? I have no idea about the Miami skyline since Miami Vice was on TV. It looks a little bit "wonky" but images of the building online give a whole heap of options to what the building looks like. Is it one of those things where the architects were messing with our minds?

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2018, 12:29:32 am »

... is that the Southeast Financial Center? ... It looks a little bit "wonky" but images of the building online give a whole heap of options to what the building looks like. Is it one of those things where the architects were messing with our minds?

This explains why it looks "wonky" from the angle I took it:

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2018, 12:57:15 am »

Thanks for the quick reply. Damn you architects for spoiling the straight lines of a city skyline.  :)

Cheers,
Tom Brown

Rajan Parrikar

• Rajan Parrikar
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2018, 09:58:31 am »

I envy your eyesight ;)

The noise reduction should apply only on the blue sky (which is where the noise is most visible). A mask made through colour selection will take care of that.

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2018, 10:47:51 am »

The noise reduction should apply only on the blue sky (which is where the noise is most visible). A mask made through colour selection will take care of that.

Creating such a mask is quite a challenge, however. It would have to be a very precise mask, as the sky touches a lot of intricate details on rooftops and sides, not visible at 800px.

William Walker

• William Walker Landscapes
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2018, 09:14:03 am »

Hey Slobodan

I was bragging about you the other day. A lawyer from Chicago came into the gallery the other day and I told him about your beautiful cityscapes...

I hope you are well?

William
"What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence." Christopher Hitchens

Slobodan Blagojevic

• My website
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2018, 10:17:43 am »

Hey Slobodan

I was bragging about you the other day. A lawyer from Chicago came into the gallery the other day and I told him about your beautiful cityscapes...

I hope you are well?

William

Hey, William, thanks for thinking of me. You were instrumental in my first mega-sale, so perhaps that lawyer needs some Chicago-themed prints for his office ;). Otherwise, things are o.k., thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up