Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Please Miss, the puppy ate my.........  (Read 1880 times)

DickKenny

• Dick Kenny at The Chantry Studio
Please Miss, the puppy ate my.........
« on: January 08, 2018, 05:59:22 pm »

Not my homework; but the opaque diffuser on my i1 Display Pro device. With high hopes I contacted x-rite's European customer service seeking a repair, or at least spares dept., only to be dashed by their view this is only a 'consumer' unit, for which we "do not offer that level of support".

Somewhat galling that a +200 GBP unit faces the bin for the sake of a couple of penny's worth of plastic disc. Just because I'm a consumer.

So, the plea for help is to anyone with knowledge of either a source of service - or spares - for this unit, to which I can turn rather  than our weekly refuse truck. I should note that the damage was only to the tuppanyhapenny disc. The unit still works fine in calibrating mode - when the lens is flush with the display screen. Its only in Ambient mode that it depends on the diffuser disc. So the puppy lives to chew another day.....

Very happy to swallow overseas postage etc., to get this working again; so any thoughts - however financially disproportionate - gratefully received. Thanks

TonyW

Re: Please Miss, the puppy ate my.........
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2018, 06:25:54 pm »

What a shame to get such a response.  I wonder if you could find some transmissive media that would be a close match to the original and attempt DIY repair.  Not near my own so not sure how feasible this would be.

You may want to ask one of the pro companies that market X Rite products if they have any ideas that can help your situation.  You may well find them to be more focussed and customer oriented?  Two that I have used and found to be excellent Good luck

https://gb.colorconfidence.com/x-rite-i1display-pro-offer.html
And
https://nativedigital.co.uk/site/

Doug Gray

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 07:31:36 pm »

There are workarounds. I don't trust the diffusers and use an unprinted, high L* matte w/o OBAs and just point the spectro / colorimeter at it and read it like you were reading a monitor patch. Read the paper white at an angle off to the side so you minimize interfering with the ambient light hitting it. A good matte* is a better diffusing reflector than their diffuser which attenuates more of the light hitting at an angle.

* I use Canson Rag Photo. It's near neutral, high L* white, and a better matte diffuser (Lambertian surface) than the patches on a ColorChecker. Multiply by 3.3 to get the Lux.

DickKenny

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2018, 06:10:49 am »

There are workarounds. I don't trust the diffusers and use an unprinted, high L* matte w/o OBAs and just point the spectro / colorimeter at it and read it like you were reading a monitor patch.

Thanks very much for you reply. May I please ask you to expand a little on the above. Until now, I have opted for the auto option for ambient light adjustment, and consequently am not familiar with the procedure you outline above. The only option I can find for taking a manual reading appears to involve re-running the whole calibration to achieve an adjusted result. Is that right; or is there something I'm missing? Again, thanks for your time and interest.

Cordially,

dk

Doug Gray

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2018, 10:55:36 am »

Thanks very much for you reply. May I please ask you to expand a little on the above. Until now, I have opted for the auto option for ambient light adjustment, and consequently am not familiar with the procedure you outline above. The only option I can find for taking a manual reading appears to involve re-running the whole calibration to achieve an adjusted result. Is that right; or is there something I'm missing? Again, thanks for your time and interest.

Cordially,

dk

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were using the display pro to take readings of ambient Lux levels. If you just intend using it to "automatically" adjust for room light levels then just don't. Most professionals do not use it. Personally, I view it as a marketing gimmick.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/x-rite-i1display-pro-review/

TonyW

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2018, 12:31:08 pm »

Sorry, I misunderstood and thought you were using the display pro to take readings of ambient Lux levels. If you just intend using it to "automatically" adjust for room light levels then just don't. Most professionals do not use it. Personally, I view it as a marketing gimmick.

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/x-rite-i1display-pro-review/
I did not think you could actually use the i1Display Pro to automatically adjust a display for ambient light levels. 

I think the OP may be referring to Ambient Light Smart Control which measures the ambient lighting and then adjusts contrast, tone response and saturation of the display based on the ambient light measured at the time of profile creation.  AFAIK this is a one off that creates a profile based on its assesment of the readings from the calibrator at that particular time only therefore any changes to ambient conditions would require a new profile.

As X Rite say "Compensating for ambient light is never as good as controlling the ambient light.  Leave it unchecked

IMHO it is a feature that is not paramount and really does not make the i1Display useless.  Worst case if you do need to know the actual ambient light conditions and put a number on it it can be accomplished with a normal light meter and a little conversion maths.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2018, 12:35:09 pm by TonyW »

DickKenny

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2018, 01:45:45 pm »

Doug Gray & TonyW

Gentlemen:

Thanks for your time, interest and advice. I think I've got it. The Ambient Light Monitoring mode is now Off; and the unit will in future be disconnected and stored in a 'relatively' dust free drawer between measurements. Incidentally, it was the flashing light on the active unit which probably drew the attention of the puppy in the first place. Again, I'm glad I posted on this very civilised forum.

Cordially,

dk

saiguy

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2018, 06:11:39 pm »

DickKenny, I was just preparing my ColorMunki Display devise for the electronics recycle bin. Noticed that the diffuser was a pop out thing. That devise quit and I got the i1 Display Pro as a replacement. They seem to be the same size/aperature. I have not tried to match them up or switch out the doggie chew. But will be happy to mail it to you if you are within reasonable reach.

You can email me at saiguy@earthlink.net with a mailing address. Please put LuLa doggie chew in the subject line as I do NOT open mail from unrecogiznable sources.

Might work,

Wayne Fox

• waynefox.com
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 07:13:50 pm »

Not my homework; but the opaque diffuser on my i1 Display Pro device. With high hopes I contacted x-rite's European customer service seeking a repair, or at least spares dept., only to be dashed by their view this is only a 'consumer' unit, for which we "do not offer that level of support".

so the i1 Display Pro is considered a "consumer unit". sounds like they should rename it.

Hopefully you can find a work around.
Pages: [1]   Go Up