Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can you edit the list of lens presets in LR?  (Read 1462 times)

Peter McLennan

Can you edit the list of lens presets in LR?
« on: January 07, 2018, 07:30:19 pm »

The list of lens presets in Lightroom is long, many of the names are truncated and access to the list (scrolling) is cumbersome. 

Is it possible to delete the unused lenses?

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
Re: Can you edit the list of lens presets in LR?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:29:55 pm »

I suppose you are referring to "Lens Profiles"

The lens profiles in LR are located in the "Resources" folder underneath the location where LR is installed. For instance, in Windows 7/10 is:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe Lightroom Classic CC\Resources\LensProfiles

Inside there you have a folder '1.0' (current version) and inside it there is a sub-folder for every brand/manufacturer. Each folder contains files for every lens profile (there might be 2 files for each lens, one for RAW and one for JPEG).

Go to the desired folder and move or delete the files you don't need/want (I suggest to move them to another location, just in case)

It is very likely that you'll have to repeat the procedure every time you update the software.

Note: ACR has the files in a different location

trshaner

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2018, 09:05:25 am »

That shouldn't be necessary. Just select 'Auto' next to 'Setup' in the Lens Corrections panel and the correct profile (if available) should appear. You can then create a Develop Preset with just 'Lens Profile Corrections' checked or simply change your 'Default Develop setting' to include the 'Auto' setting (default is unchecked).

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/2016/02/customizing-the-default-setting-for-acr-and-lightroom.html

fdisilvestro

• Frank Disilvestro
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 08:25:57 pm »

That shouldn't be necessary. Just select 'Auto' next to 'Setup' in the Lens Corrections panel and the correct profile (if available) should appear.

That works if the lens information is registered in the EXIF. There are combination of cameras and lenses for which profiles exists but you have to assign them manually in LR/ACR.

Example: Using a non-CPU 50mm f1.4 Nikkor AIS manual lens on a Nikon body, the camera will record at the most focal lenght and aperture (if you configured the non-CPU lens) but LR will be unable to determine which lens was used. If you want to apply the lens correction for it (supplied by Adobe) you have to scrool through the long list of profiles available.

You can also create your own custom profiles using the Adobe Lens Profile Creator Tool

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 10:28:10 pm »

Excellent, FranciscoDisilvestro.  That's exactly the issue I'm having.  I use a few legacy lenses on my D800 and I have to search for an approximate match each time I use them.
Also, thanks for your explicit instructions on where to find the data.  :)

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 10:43:35 pm by Peter McLennan »

trshaner

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 12:21:29 pm »

You can also create a Develop Preset for each of the lenses without EXIF ID. Select an image shot with the lens, select the desired lens profile, and then go to Develop> New Preset and check just 'Lens Profile Corrections. Create a preset for each legacy lens and apply on import or in the Develop module.

You may also want to use the Lens Profile downloader to see if someone has created a lens profile for your specific legacy lens. Just be aware that JPEG and raw files require different lens profiles and they are also Crop Factor specific. You can use a full-frame (Crop Factor 1) lens profile with crop cameras (Crop Factor 1.6, 1.5, etc.), but not a >1 Crop Factor lens profile on a full frame camera. LR automatically determines the crop area and applies just that area of the lens profile to the image.

https://blogs.adobe.com/labs/archives/tag/adobe-lens-profile-downloader

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 03:29:36 pm »

Thanks, trshaner.  Good strategy. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up