Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 Print-Head Alignment - Help Needed  (Read 3755 times)

maxs

HP Z3200 Print-Head Alignment - Help Needed
« on: January 06, 2018, 10:43:27 pm »

I am a beginner to this...so if I am asking the obvious I apologize ahead of time.

I did a print-head alignment on a new printer. I selected Photo Paper->Baryta Photo Paper (I am using Canson Baryta Photographique paper) and I did not see this listed in the Paper Type, so I selected what I thought was the closest.)

When the alignment finished I got the following pattern (see below). My question is how can I tell if this was successful? The pattern printed at the top is showing some horizontal black lines, and to the bottom side of the print I am seeing the colors fading in the middle vertically.

I guess I have nothing to compare against.

Finally those familiar with the Z3200, what is the next step? Color calibration? If so is this step straight forward?

Thx

and the below 2 are closeups...

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:10:27 am by maxshafiq »

Ernst Dinkla

Re: HP Z3200 Print-Head Alignment - Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 05:48:03 am »

Trust the printer hardware and firmware. If it did not give an error in the process of aligning or at the end of it, then your printer got the best alignment given the conditions. I have one reservation on this; the printer replaces blocked nozzles with nozzles kept in reserve when new. Too many nozzle replacements in one color ink path = half a head, and the printer still giving okay's is too much compromise for me. I tend to clean > exchange a head then. Happens seldom I have to admit. There is a head check print choice in the printer panel menu. Pay some attention to the GE head part too. I had a completely failing GE head part not so long ago and the printer die not mention it but the small glossy rectangle within the grey patch was absent and no GE in glossy prints visible.

Calibration is preferably done; before creating a profile, new paper roll batches are bought and repeated after some months. In that order. With a new printer at the beginning too of course.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

maxs

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 07:53:35 am »

Ernst

Do you happen to have a sample of a good calibration output you could share a picture of here so I know in future what to look for please?

Should I/Could I take the GE head out and wipe it?

I have read somewhere there is another test (print diagnostic chart). Should I try printing that and compare? I guess I am trying to understand if the output from print alignment is questionable should I be even looking at doing another test?

Max

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 09:14:54 am »

As Ernst said,
don't bother to check the print head alignment on print;
the Z does that...

more important:
Print a diagnostic image( onder quality on the printer) and see if all the nozzles are working.
see example..  I am on a z3100 so colors are different...

as you can see the E-rectangular shows a smaller rectangular inside- that is the GE ( that was what Ernst was referring to)
you can also see that all ink-squares do not show any banding- that is good
the nozzles are printed and if some are missing that is no problem..
in this case the G-rectangular has some nozzles missing but is still OK.
this is a NEW printhead...
some printheads last for ever, some one month ( but there is a one year replacement guarantee)

if you use a new paper:
i would suggest:
1 make sure your printheads are working fine - as above
2 paper advance calibration ( on printer/image quality maintenance)
2 do the printhead alignment ( if not done already)
3 make a color calibration
4 make an ICC profile..

my z is 10 years old now and still working fine - Knock Knock
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 09:18:10 am by kers »
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

maxs

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 09:42:28 am »

Thanks Kers for the explanation.

So I ran the print diagnostic and got the following image. I think based on your comments, it looks good! see below

Assuming all is good, then I have a question on your recommended steps.

What does advance calibration do/help?
What does color calibration do/help?
Is making the ICC profile step the same as creating a New Preset? (I had read somewhere this is the combination of profile and paper information)

Thx

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 10:10:52 am »

Is making the ICC profile step the same as creating a New Preset? (I had read somewhere this is the combination of profile and paper information)

Thx

1 because all paper has a different thickness i aligns the proper speed  to move forward and the position of the heads versus the paper.
you need to do that once on paper unknown to the printer.

2 as i understand...
it measures the ink squares of every printhead to ensure differences in the quantity of ink on the paper (new inks etc) are ruled out and the icc profile stays correct.

concerning presets;
you do that in the utility
A
you can start blank with a new paper - then you start with a preset of a known paper as a starting pont.
for instance matt paper and give you  it   the name of you new paper.
This means you take over the amount of ink and paper type  from that paper
the z will then generate a basic icc profile.
You can make then your own measured one to replace it.

B
 you can sometimes download an .OMS file for a paper.
in it all the presets necessary- you just need to install it.

good luck

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2018, 10:56:46 am »

Thanks Kers for the explanation.

So I ran the print diagnostic and got the following image. I think based on your comments, it looks good! see below

Assuming all is good, then I have a question on your recommended steps.

Thx

Well Pieter gave you some answers already. Calibration brings the printer output base for the used paper + media preset to manufacturer's specification. (which does not have to be a linear output but could be linear output BTW)  That is a good base to build a custom profile on as you can calibrate the same paper + media preset again from time to time to bring the same conditions back and keep the already created profile relevant. The same for existing HP and OEM paper profiles you may have installed, the calibration will assure that the base is the same as when the profiles were created.

The Media Preset is describing for that type of paper; the inks used, the amount of ink used per channel, the drying time, whether the cutter should act or not (canvas never) and probably some things are in the black box we have no knowledge of, like in what order the different color inks are applied in the mix, not to mention the way the droplets are placed. HP Printer Utility allows copying a Media Preset to create a custom one for a new paper and some alterations on for example the ink amount laid down then (more likely just a gamma function).  This is even more basic than the calibration is, the calibration prints with this mixing recipe and measures the effect on the calibration print and sets the printers parameters accordingly to bring back the manufacturer's specs. There is an HP document describing which inks are used etc per media preset, at least it exists for the Z3100.

So there is a Media Preset, on top the Calibration and on top of that the ICC Printer Profile. The last in fact only describes the color gamut shape and size made by the media preset + calibration + paper combination, so in color management the conversion of an image with assigned color space to that printer/print gamut can be done according the rendering choices (Perceptual, Relatve Colormetric etc). So the ICC Printer Profile is not the same as the Media Preset.

For the Z3200 the downloads with the extension OMS contain both media preset and OEM printer profile. They are installed on the printer harddisk itself so computer systems on the network have all access to them after Printer Utility synchronizes installed media presets. Calibration data will probably be kept in or near that OMS file too after the calibration process.

« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:00:50 am by Ernst Dinkla »

maxs

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 11:18:52 am »

Thanks Ernst and Kers :-)

One more question. I am using Canon Baryta Photographique paper. I initially when calibrating selected Photo Paper as the type of paper.

However when I am searching on google it seems Baryta type of papers are regarded as Fine Art papers. Should this be the option I should be selecting when doing print head alignment or does it not matter.

I guess I am going to face the same choice when trying to color calibrate and creating an ICC profile. What should I be selecting as paper type and any sub options I am presented with?

Thanks in advance.

Max

sportmaster

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2018, 07:06:54 pm »

Additional questions concerning HP Z3200 diagnostic pattern.  The small glossy rectangle within the grey patch (GE) is missing on my test prints.   I have no error messages.  Do I have a clogged gloss optimizer head?  I have tried two cleaning.  Suggestions please.[/size]

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 03:11:53 am »

Additional questions concerning HP Z3200 diagnostic pattern.  The small glossy rectangle within the grey patch (GE) is missing on my test prints.   I have no error messages.  Do I have a clogged gloss optimizer head?  I have tried two cleaning.  Suggestions please.[/size]

You checked that on a glossy paper test print? It will be hardly visible on a matte paper. If done on a glossy paper and still not visible then print an image on a glossy paper sheet (can be small) with the GE choice set on ON (so full print page) and examine the reflection on the edges of that sheet, 5mm at the edges will be without GE, the rest should have the GE applied.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2018, 03:41:08 am »

Thanks Ernst and Kers :-)

One more question. I am using Canon Baryta Photographique paper. I initially when calibrating selected Photo Paper as the type of paper.

However when I am searching on google it seems Baryta type of papers are regarded as Fine Art papers. Should this be the option I should be selecting when doing print head alignment or does it not matter.

I guess I am going to face the same choice when trying to color calibrate and creating an ICC profile. What should I be selecting as paper type and any sub options I am presented with?

Thanks in advance.

Max

My W7 Z3200 driver still has the HP Baryte Photo Paper media preset choice. Paper is no longer in production though and suffered of a haze issue anyway. I wonder whether that Media Preset disappeared in the Z3200 B version still sold. Anyway there are several paper manufacturers/suppliers that have Z3200 OMS files for Fibre/Baryta papers that will have a good media preset encapsulated and possibly a good profile too but you can override the printer profile anyway with a custom profile made on the Z3200.  Check the Canson, Hahnemühle, Innova profile download archives. Do not download the Z3100 ones they will not load and are not suited for your printer.

The first version of that paper on the market was the Ilford Gold Fibre Silk aka IGFS, after some Ilford bankrupties called Ilford Galerie Prestige Gold Fibre Silk :-) and no longer produced by what is just an Ilford labeled company these days  but by Felix Schoeller that sells that quality to a lot more companies. See the SpectrumViz spectral plots screengrab. The Innova IFA69 was an early bird too on the market and may come from another production plant, I tend to think it isn't but maybe ......

sportmaster

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2018, 09:35:33 pm »

Ernst,  thank your for advice.  I followed your directions exactly("You checked that on a glossy paper test print? It will be hardly visible on a matte paper. If done on a glossy paper and still not visible then print an image on a glossy paper sheet (can be small) with the GE choice set on ON (so full print page) and examine the reflection on the edges of that sheet, 5mm at the edges will be without GE, the rest should have the GE applied."), but still no indication of gloss.  Any further suggestions to get gloss working?[/font][/size]

Thank you.Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2018, 03:17:04 am »

Ernst,  thank your for advice.  I followed your directions exactly("You checked that on a glossy paper test print? It will be hardly visible on a matte paper. If done on a glossy paper and still not visible then print an image on a glossy paper sheet (can be small) with the GE choice set on ON (so full print page) and examine the reflection on the edges of that sheet, 5mm at the edges will be without GE, the rest should have the GE applied."), but still no indication of gloss.  Any further suggestions to get gloss working?[/font][/size]

Thank you.Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

In a similar case I had there was no other choice than replacing the GE head and after that the glossy layer appeared again. As a last check on the driver software functions, is the driver still showing that GE is ON?  The driver is not always that stable and can fall back to the default settings which might not have GE on ON.

sportmaster

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2018, 08:34:52 pm »

E.D., per your advice, installed new gloss print-head and now have perfect test pattern.  Thanks
Pages: [1]   Go Up