Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: HP Z3200 Gloss Optimizer  (Read 1558 times)

Peter McLennan

HP Z3200 Gloss Optimizer
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:02:31 pm »

I can't see any way to turn GE off or on in the HP part of the printer drivers. So far, all my prints on sheet media seem to have the Gloss Optimizer on.  Am I missing something? 
Or is this selected on or off during media profiling and isn't switchable later?

Ernst Dinkla

Re: HP Z3200 Gloss Optimizer
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 06:01:50 am »

In the Windows drivers I have the GE choice at the right bottom side of the print quality menu. GE ON/OFF/Economy mode.

Economy mode will print GE on the image itself but not the RGB 255/255/255 spots so not on white margins/borders added in PS for example. Gives an extra gloss derived separation between images and margins on some papers, say a mild spot varnish in graphic art terms. However it will not print GE on RGB 255/255/255 spots in the image itself either. Raising them slightly by making them 255/254/254 in PS is enough to overcome that, margins still 3x255. In Qimage I have a print filter for that and it just brings one channel to 254.  White margins are added on the fly in Qimage and they are not affected by the print filter.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 11:03:51 am by Ernst Dinkla »

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 08:23:25 am »

On a mac the print dialog looks like this in photoshop CS6 OSX10.9

sorry it is in dutch...

Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Peter McLennan

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 11:42:33 am »

In the Windows drivers I have the GE choice at the right bottom side of the print quality menu. GE ON/OFF/Economy mode.

Thanks, Ernst.  It was in the HP portion of the driver, buried three levels deep under "Custom Options/Settings/Gloss Enhancer"

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2018, 11:16:30 am »

Another GE question for the HP Gurus:  Can I use GE on canvas? 

I had the bright idea that I might avoid the coating process by invoking GE on a canvas print, but as far as I can see, it didn't print any GE anywhere on the image.  Were my observations correct? Is there a workaround if this is true?

John Nollendorfs

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 11:47:45 am »

Peter:
Gloss optimizer is not a substitute for spraying canvas prints. Using a vinyl acrylic top coat, protects against mild abrasions and water spills, but most of all, seals the microporous receptor coat against atmospheric contaminants such as ozone, which can degrade pigment inks.

I've been using Rosco's Clear Acrylic Gloss transparent Glaze #5580 diluted 1:1 with water, and sprayed using an HVLP spray gun. Been using this product for 15 years with excellent results.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2018, 02:18:08 pm »

Thanks, John.  I appreciate that GE doesn't replace sprayed coatings, but I thought it might be a partial substitute. I just want to know if the printer will do this or not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up