Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing half the image  (Read 5250 times)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Printing half the image
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2018, 03:16:15 pm »

OK, I see where the rub is: one always needs to insert the paper in portrait orientation for what I do to always yield correct results, whether the result is to be a photo/sheet in portrait or landscape orientation.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

slhartsf

« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2018, 05:55:01 pm »

To clear things up a bit more here, I insert the paper vertically (always) and the paper guides are always snug to the paper.  In my latest instance of this problem, I tried printing a landscape image in landscape orientation (page setup) on 13x19 (sheet) template.  With 0.75" margins, it printed the photo half height (this has happened many times before) and the image did not print on half the vertical height of the paper, just the bottom half printed.  On my next try after that failure, I chose 13x19 maximum and it printed perfectly with those margins and landscape orientation with the same photo which is a landscape oriented photo.  I just now successfully printed a portrait oriented image on 11x17 (sheet) paper in portrait orientation and it worked as it should.  Sometimes this problem just appears out of the blue randomly.  I am going to print some more and will post screen shots etc. when it or me screws up again.  It is like the paper width sensor on the printer is malfunctioning or something but I don't know where it is to see if maybe it is partially blocked from its detection of paper width.

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2018, 05:56:43 pm »

Thanks Bob - we could have an interesting discussion about what constitutes "expertise", but that would take us "OT". Actually, it would be a pretty damning statement on the printing industry if one needed a heap of expertise to assure that the whole photo will emerge from the printer.
Wholeheartedly agree, but ... in the third millennium software should be smart enough to know if you are making a basic mistake and tell you. In most cases it doesn't and lets you print half an image.
A lot of these problem are in basic terms. Width for example to most people is how wide the image is across. However to the printer it is always measured across the platten, regardless of the orientation. Length is always the feed.
The manufacturers don't help. They will tell you the it is a 432mm wide printer, but if you set it to 432mm it crashes, because it is actually a 431.8mm printer, or 17". You sort of wonder if real people design this stuff. (:-)
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

slhartsf

« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2018, 05:58:49 pm »

I have never tried putting the paper in horizontally, since the orientation in the page setup window still shows the paper vertical but the image is laid out horizontal.

slhartsf

« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2018, 06:20:32 pm »

this is how my page setup looks, see how the paper is always vertical and just the image changes depending on the orientation.  That's why I always load my paper vertically.
 . I have a screen shot, but cannot determine if it attached, hopefully it did.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2018, 06:28:46 pm »

Probably better to use "Sheet Borders Maximum" in the Paper Size menu, but if what you have works reliably, keep using it.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up