Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Replacement for Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone?  (Read 2772 times)

loganross

Replacement for Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone?
« on: January 04, 2018, 05:47:10 pm »

Hi,
I am very sad to know that Hahnemhule will is no longer producing this paper.  Has anyone found found a like replacement?  Thanks in advance.

deanwork

Re: Replacement for Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone?
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 06:48:36 pm »

The only truly warm paper left on the market that I am aware of is the Inkpress Warmtone but it is a matte rag paper. It does have exceptional longevity according to Wilhelm but has not been tested by Aardenburg.

I did a lot of work on the old Harmon Warmtone gloss with neutral bw inks over the years and I loved the dimensional split. You still get that with the inkpress warmtone matte. Freestyle bought up the last of the Harmon . They might still have some left.

But my problem with the Harmon was the curling and scratching even with the sheets that would never stay flat. Rolls were impossible.  I have to say that the only two papers in my flat files that really could pass for gelatin silver though  were the Harmon Gloss and the Platine which I now use. I saw some Epson prints today done on the Ilford and it still has that obvious  bronzing, though fine behind glass.

Hi,
I am very sad to know that Hahnemhule will is no longer producing this paper.  Has anyone found found a like replacement?  Thanks in advance.

loganross

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 06:58:35 pm »

Thanks. Which ilford we're you referring to? For matte, I have been really happy with Moab Somerset museum rag. There a lot of bright white glossies that I like including pictorico high glass white film. The ilford warmtone has both a great color and a great surface. I will check out freestyle paper.

The only truly warm paper left on the market that I am aware of is the Inkpress Warmtone but it is a matte rag paper. It does have exceptional longevity according to Wilhelm but has not been tested by Aardenburg.

I did a lot of work on the old Harmon Warmtone gloss with neutral bw inks over the years and I loved the dimensional split. You still get that with the inkpress warmtone matte. Freestyle bought up the last of the Harmon . They might still have some left.

But my problem with the Harmon was the curling and scratching even with the sheets that would never stay flat. Rolls were impossible.  I have to say that the only two papers in my flat files that really could pass for gelatin silver though  were the Harmon Gloss and the Platine which I now use. I saw some Epson prints today done on the Ilford and it still has that obvious  bronzing, though fine behind glass.

pearlstreet

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2018, 12:47:38 am »

Hi,
That's bad news. I love that paper.

Panagiotis

• Fine Art Print
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2018, 01:42:34 am »

For a PK warm tone paper take a look at Innova Exhibition Photo Gloss 335 (IFA-45).
https://www.innovaart.com/innova-art-products/exhibition-cotton-gloss-335gsm/

I.T. Supplies

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2018, 04:50:02 pm »

The Harman Gloss Baryta replacement from Hahnemuhle is their Hahnemuhle Photo Gloss Baryta 320gsm.  Hahnemuhle may try to create a replacement in their Hahnemuhle line if they stop a Harman paper that is doing very well.  Unfortunately, other Harman papers weren't doing as well and there is no direct replacement from them.  However, a few other brands may have a similar one in their own version; but it's something per user preference.

Innova makes pretty reliable papers and their comparable one to Harman is Innova FibaPrint Warmtone Gloss 300gsm IFA-19.

I would also mention the Epson Legacy Baryta, but it may not be as glossy as Hahnemuhle or Innova's option.

loganross

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2018, 07:39:10 pm »

Thanks for all the info. I will try the Innova. In the mean time, my local store had a bunch of 13*19 warmtone, so I bought it :)

Rand47

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2018, 07:43:53 pm »

I would also mention the Epson Legacy Baryta, but it may not be as glossy as Hahnemuhle or Innova's option.

And certainly much less warm!

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

loganross

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2018, 12:00:07 am »

Hi.
I am going to check out the inkpress. Thank you for the recommendation. I may stay away from the Epson if it is too bright. Since I like the texture of the Harman warmtone, the brighter version lives on as Hahnemhule Photo Gloss Barta 320.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2018, 05:07:57 am »

Hi.
I am going to check out the inkpress. Thank you for the recommendation. I may stay away from the Epson if it is too bright. Since I like the texture of the Harman warmtone, the brighter version lives on as Hahnemhule Photo Gloss Barta 320.

There are more warm papers gloss/satin in the Alpha Cellulose quality. See the SpectrumViz spectral plots image attached. That does not indicate what their surface looks like and how they act on the printer.

I doubt there will ever be an exact clone of the Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone, the paper base used is a direct descendent of the analogue B&W paper base as used in Ilford Multigrade Warmtone qualities, still Harman technology products. BTW, it was not free of OBA content in the paper base and the spectral plot is quite irregular

There are more warm papers gloss/satin in the Cotton quality too. See the SpectrumViz spectral plots image attached. That does not indicate what their surface looks like and how they act on the printer.

I roughly selected them on their Lab b 2 to 3 value. There are warmer and more neutral qualities as well.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

loganross

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2018, 12:15:21 pm »

Hi,
The information you provided and the links you provided were great.  I very much like how the surface works with the ink for my images.  Perhaps after I run out of the warmtone, I will switch to the standard version, now sold as Hahnemule Photo Gloss Baryta.  I will also experiment with some other papers as well :)

There are more warm papers gloss/satin in the Alpha Cellulose quality. See the SpectrumViz spectral plots image attached. That does not indicate what their surface looks like and how they act on the printer.

I doubt there will ever be an exact clone of the Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone, the paper base used is a direct descendent of the analogue B&W paper base as used in Ilford Multigrade Warmtone qualities, still Harman technology products. BTW, it was not free of OBA content in the paper base and the spectral plot is quite irregular

There are more warm papers gloss/satin in the Cotton quality too. See the SpectrumViz spectral plots image attached. That does not indicate what their surface looks like and how they act on the printer.

I roughly selected them on their Lab b 2 to 3 value. There are warmer and more neutral qualities as well.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
July 2016 update, 700+ inkjet media white spectral plots

mearussi

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2018, 08:07:55 am »

Another vote for Innova Art IFA-45 Warm tone paper. Excellent colors, lightly textured surface cuts down on both reflections and fingerprints.

https://www.innovaart.com/innova-art-products/exhibition-cotton-gloss-335gsm/

https://www.itsupplies.com/Innova-IFA-45-FibaPrint-Warm-Cotton-Gloss-335gsm

Two other papers to consider, though more neutral than warm:
1. Canson Platine
2. Canson Baryta Prestige (my new favorite)
Pages: [1]   Go Up