Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article Posted - Phase One TriChromatic Sensor Explained  (Read 1201 times)

Kevin Raber

• Kevin Raber
    • Kevin Raber
New Article Posted - Phase One TriChromatic Sensor Explained
« on: January 02, 2018, 11:10:43 am »

A lot of talk and confusion about the Phase One TriChromatic sensor has been swirling for quite a while.  Doug Peterson did a fine job explaining in detail the TriChromatic in an article last year.  On a recent trip to Europe I took a detour and visited Copenhagen and Phase One's headquarters.  There I sat with Niels Knudsen and Lau Norgaard to learn more about the TriChromatic sensor.  I have just published an article the TriChromatic Sensor Explained.  There are two rather lengthy but detailed videos explaining the TriChroamtic both in its design and what it means for color accuracy.
Kevin Raber
kwr@rabereyes.com
kevin@photopxl.com
rockhopperworkshops.com
photopxl.com

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: New Article Posted - Phase One TriChromatic Sensor Explained
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 01:06:11 pm »

Didn't see this in the video on the new sensor, or the PDF from Phase: Does the new sensor that meets the Luther-Ives condition?
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

John Camp

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 02:08:15 pm »

I play a little guitar, and there is a continuing argument on guitar forums about "tone" and the contribution that the various woods of various guitars make to the instruments' various tones. So you have a solid-body electric guitar -- essentially a plank with a number of magnetic pickups on it -- and some people claim that they can hear differences depending on what kind of wood the plank is made of, even after the sound is run through sound-modifying pedals, amps, etc. Many are somewhat skeptical of these claims. I have to say that sometimes claims of color accuracy strike me as coming from the same realm. Do viewers really see any color inconsistencies in mainstream, high-end sensors from Sony, Canon or Nikon? How would they know, without the actual photographed object sitting next to the photo? I mean, a flower could reflect any number of shades of red, and really how critical is it that exactly the same shade be represented in the photo as in the flower...and is that even *really* possible, as the shade of red in the flower may fluctuate depending on all kinds  of environmental conditions, including conditions internal to the flower (depending on things like moisture uptake.) And doesn't the color in a print depend more on the printer and the manipulation of the software than on the digital uptake by the camera sensor?

I really have no problem with engineers trying to achieve better color accuracy in their sensors, but given the current options, I might not be willing to pay much to get that last .001%.

Photog-x

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 08:52:24 pm »

Regarding Capture One, I'm really surprised how good the raw files look with just a small amount of adjustments and the color overall seems better to my eyes when compared to my edits in Lightroom.  I was also surprised how well Capture One does with the Fuji X-T2 x-trans files, which Adobe has trouble with in Lightroom (the fine detail).  I compared the output from both and Capture One wins that battle (x-trans raw file conversions).
Pages: [1]   Go Up