Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade to Eizo?  (Read 21601 times)

smthopr

• Bruce Alan Greene Cinematography
Re: Upgrade to Eizo?
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2018, 01:54:13 pm »

Just ignore mediafrost, they always put random specs ASAP just to be bookmarked.

I tested it thoroughly, and my findings are the results of measurements - here’s the copy-paste translation (sorry for autotranslation mistakes):

„During  the weekend I had a new, eagerly awaited successor to the excellent and proven PA272W. The monitor does not yet have support in the SpectraView II and MultiProfiler software, I'm not sure how much its firmwares were, so for now I share some preliminary insights.

PANEL

PA271Q has a 10-bit Panasonic IPS panel with W-LED PFS backlight and OCF, with native contrast 1500:1 and maximum luminance of 400cd / m². The use of red phosphor PFS allowed to obtain a slightly larger color gamut - virtually 100% of sRGB and aRGB, with a color space volume of 120% AdobeRGB (1.4 million ΔE³). OCF effectively eliminates the black leaking at higher viewing angle, with a slight violet tint visible under the extreme sharp angle (unnoticeable when working straight ahead), without affecting comfort and aesthetics.

The panel has very good native uniformity - peak luminance errors when the DUC is switched off, reach 10%, the chrominance error is unnoticeable (peak error below 2DE). The panel finish is typical for NEC, a supersatin diffuser that gives a clear, sharp image.

FUNCTIONALITY

Like its predecessors, PA271Q is equipped with a SpectraView Engine with an autocorrecting sensor that corrects the color and brightness of the backlight in real time. The x, y, Y co-ordinates measured by the sensor are displayed in the OSD menu of the monitor. The measurement deviation of the autorecutor senor in relation to the i1D3 measurement was 0.4ΔE, ie below the measurement error of this colorimeter. After connecting the i1D3 sensor to the USB port, it is possible to automatically recalibrate and validate the monitor. Linearity traditionally in the PA series is factory set to the point.
The monitor is equipped with a programmable 3DLUT, there are up to 10 programmable presets (in the menu you can choose the number of presets displayed in the range of 5-10). Factory presets have been supplemented with the latest implementations of HDR standards. The videographic functions have also been supplemented with the possibility of displaying a UHD / 4K signal scaled to 2.5K and displaying markers.

BUILD QUALITY

According to current trends, the monitor has a slimmer casing and tactile OSD menu support with convex selected fields. The monitor is, however, surprisingly heavy, solid, made of pleasantly matte finished high-quality material, mounted on a rotating foot with height adjustment, tilting and pivot function. The monitor has two USB3 inputs, three USB3 outputs, one USB service port for connecting the sensor and firmware update, USB-C, mDP, 2xDP, 2xHDMI, and LAN outputs. Contrary to the prevailing fashion, the monitor is solidly and meticulously packed in a right-sized box, no less than in the case of PA272W (most likely due to the large mass of the display).

SUMMARY

PA271Q with SpectraView II software and the i1D3 sensor is parametrically, qualitatively and functionally in every respect the equivalent of EIZO CG277+CG2730. In the context of the expected price of this model, and lowered price of new hood it will be a bargain ;)

I'm still not sure it will do 24fps like the Eizo though...  But that might not be critical if you can set your decklink card to 30fps or 60fps output.  After all you will be color correcting the movie, but not actually watching it for pleasure.
Bruce Alan Greene
www.brucealangreene.com

smahn

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 07:32:53 pm »

Thanks for the info, Czornyj.

Any idea if they have a 30" 16:10 (ideally) in mind?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2018, 09:34:08 am »

Thanks for the info, Czornyj.

Any idea if they have a 30" 16:10 (ideally) in mind?

They still offer PA302W, but I haven't heard if it will be repleaced by any new model. There's a small demand for 30" displays, and 30" 16:10 panels are expensive - that's the cause Eizo stopped offering 30" long time ago. The alternative is PA322UHD which is very good (I use it personally), with nice OCF, but only 1000:1 CR.
Marcin Kałuża | [URL=http://zarzadzaniebarwa

smahn

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2018, 09:48:38 am »

They still offer PA302W, but I haven't heard if it will be repleaced by any new model. There's a small demand for 30" displays, and 30" 16:10 panels are expensive - that's the cause Eizo stopped offering 30" long time ago. The alternative is PA322UHD which is very good (I use it personally), with nice OCF, but only 1000:1 CR.

Do you prefer the PA322UHD over the PA302W for reasons of the higher resolution, or something else?

I do like the 30" 16:10 form factor, but as you allude to, options are limited. Thinking about a PA302W, but I'm notorious for buying stuff just before it's lifecycle is about to expire, and not without regret.

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2018, 04:43:28 pm »

Do you prefer the PA322UHD over the PA302W for reasons of the higher resolution, or something else?

I do like the 30" 16:10 form factor, but as you allude to, options are limited. Thinking about a PA302W, but I'm notorious for buying stuff just before it's lifecycle is about to expire, and not without regret.

I swiched from 30” 3090WQXi that I loved and worked many years - but higher resolution and wider work space gave me much higher comfort and efficiency at work (graphic design, fine art printing and photography). Additionally OCF is also a nice aesthetic feature ;)

smahn

« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2018, 12:39:24 pm »

I swiched from 30” 3090WQXi that I loved and worked many years - but higher resolution and wider work space gave me much higher comfort and efficiency at work (graphic design, fine art printing and photography). Additionally OCF is also a nice aesthetic feature ;)

I have worked on site with an Eizo CG2430, and I own a NEC PA271W. I hook the Eizo to my laptop and have no custom profile for it, but it with it's self calibration is considerably more neutral and better contrast, than my i1 Display Pro / Spectraview II calibrated/profiled NEC. It gives me monitor envy.

If I want that Eizo visual quality from a new NEC, do you think the PA322UHD would get me there, or best to wait for the PA271Q?

Czornyj

• zarzadzaniebarwa.pl
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2018, 12:51:10 pm »

I have worked on site with an Eizo CG2430, and I own a NEC PA271W. I hook the Eizo to my laptop and have no custom profile for it, but it with it's self calibration is considerably more neutral and better contrast, than my i1 Display Pro / Spectraview II calibrated/profiled NEC. It gives me monitor envy.

If I want that Eizo visual quality from a new NEC, do you think the PA322UHD would get me there, or best to wait for the PA271Q?

Having PA271Q (1500:1) next to my PA322UHD (1000:1) I haven't seen a significant difference regarding neutrality and contrast. PA271W has heavy matted diffuser (that I personally hate), which introduces clouding/sparcling and is more prone to flare, that lowers apparent contrast, sharpness and clarity of the image. So I think that super-satin diffuser and OCF of PA322UHD should get you there in 90% of cases, only very dark scenes may look better on PA271Q. But frankly I’m a fan of larger UHD displays ;)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 12:57:40 pm by Czornyj »

smahn

« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2018, 12:55:43 pm »

Thanks Czornyj.

smahn

« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2018, 12:51:02 pm »

Czornyj, Any info on when the PA271Q might be available in the USA?

Klahne

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2018, 10:35:41 am »

Here's further information on the PA271Q, with (US pricing) from NEC:

https://www.necdisplay.com/p/PA271Q-bk-sv

smahn

« Reply #30 on: June 04, 2018, 12:07:16 pm »

Cool, thanks

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2018, 12:06:12 pm »

I see this listed as spectraview for 1550 us dollars. There is one listed at a reseller in France, where i live, it is 1200 euros, but does not say anything about spectra view ll or having a spectra view engine. Are there two models that NEC offers, one with and one without SV ll?

For the last 9 years I've been using a 2690wuxi and calibrating with spectraview ll software/xrite i0ne display puck. I don't think my current monitor is an SV model. It does seem to calibrate fine, luts and all.

thanks
M

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2018, 03:34:07 am »

Found answers on NEC France. They only list one model. They don't have with/without spectraview. It has what they describe as a spectraview engine. It is 3d lut programmable. It seems to say I don't need additional software, that it's built in. All I need is a puck. At least that's what it sounds like. Here is the french text off the site...

"Stimulez votre rendement créatif avec une reproduction exceptionnelle des couleurs : le panneau AH-IPS, la table de conversion 14 bits gamma 3D, le moteur SpectraView® et les options extraordinaires d'étalonnage s'allient pour que vous puissiez faire montre d'une créativité illimitée. Pour l'exactitude de l'étalonnage à long terme, l'écran propose un capteur intégré d'étalonnage et accepte même un capteur externe. Plus besoin d'application d'étalonnage d'hôte additionnelle - connectez simplement le capteur externe sur le port USB de l'écran et administrez votre cible d'étalonnage souhaitée sur le menu à l'écran. Faites le ménage sur votre bureau grâce à la connectivité USB Type C de l'écran pour gérer la vidéo, l'audio, l'alimentation et l'USB avec un câble unique."

"3D LUT programmable; Ajustement automatique de la lumiosité; Ajustement automatique du contraste; Ajustement automatique du niveau noir; Ajustement de DEL de puissance (couleur et luminosité); Auto-Luminosité; CableComp avec continuité de la détection de la syncho.; ColorComp; Compatible Windows 8; DDC-CI; Fonction d'auto-diagnostic; GammaComp (14-bit LUT avec 16-bit traitement); Hub USB intégré (3 up; 3 down); Luminosité et contraste; Mode incrustation d'image (PIP); Modes Eco; Overdrive; PiP/PbP; Poignée et pied "quick-release"; RapidMotion; Rétro-éclairage AH-IPS GB-R LED; Simulation DICOM; Technologie Rapid Response; TileComp; TileMatrix; ToroDesign."

Maybe this will help someone else in france or europe. I found two versions on the B&H site.

Here is the link to the monitor info on the french NEC site. I think this monitor would replace my old 2690 wuxi no problem. At least the specs seem to indicate that.

NEC france

Frodo

« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2018, 07:07:27 pm »

Hi Morris

I had some misleading info regarding the PA242W that I just bought, including from the retailer who ordered it.
The Spectraview II software is not built in to my screen and this is different to the "Spectraview engine".  My screen came with some (in my opinion) fairly useless software, but not Spectraview.  There was confusion because in some markets you can buy just the screen and in others you can buy the screen plus Spectraview plus the puck, and in some places you have the choice.
NEC saw me right and supplied Spectraview plus the puck (relabelled X-Rite puck).
While the screen was very well calibrated from new, when you're paying that sort of money you want the last few % of accuracy, its worth ensuring you get Spectraview II plus a compatible puck.  Hence, you need to confirm that it comes with the "Spectraview II software".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #34 on: August 16, 2018, 07:13:02 pm »

Hi Morris

I had some misleading info regarding the PA242W that I just bought, including from the retailer who ordered it.
The Spectraview II software is not built in to my screen and this is different to the "Spectraview engine".  My screen came with some (in my opinion) fairly useless software, but not Spectraview.  There was confusion because in some markets you can buy just the screen and in others you can buy the screen plus Spectraview plus the puck, and in some places you have the choice.
NEC saw me right and supplied Spectraview plus the puck (relabelled X-Rite puck).
While the screen was very well calibrated from new, when you're paying that sort of money you want the last few % of accuracy, its worth ensuring you get Spectraview II plus a compatible puck.  Hence, you need to confirm that it comes with the "Spectraview II software".
There's no SpectraView software built into the screen. It's a separate software product you download after purchase. It can be bundled with the display with an instrument. Or it may not be as you've seen and reported.
As for the SpectraView engine, what is it, what does it do? In short:

1. Uniformity correction
2. Aging compensation
3. Temperature compensation
4. Orientation compensation
5. 3x 1D LUTs
6. 3D LUTs
7. Color gamut mapping
8. Gamma correction
9. Black level correction
10. Ambient light measurement and compensation
11. Backlight luminance measurement and stabilization
12. Picture-in-Picture / Picture-by-Picture
13. Color blindness simulation
14. Metamerism correction
15. Hue/Saturation/Offset adjustment
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

DougDolde

• Images of the American West

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2018, 07:56:03 pm »

Hi Frodo. Thank you for the info. I do have spectra view ll software on my computer and own the i1 display I think it's called. It's how I've been calibrating my old nec 2690 all these years.

Andrew, thanks for this explanation on the spectraview engine. Wasn't sure what that meant.

I do have a question. The connectivity specs for the PA 271Q are as follows :

1 x DisplayPort; 1 x DisplayPort out; 1 x Mini DisplayPort; 1 x USB Type C; 2 x HDMI; USB ver. 3.1 (3 down / 2 up)

I am currently using a 2015 macbook pro that has two thunderbolt 2 ports. I use one of those for an external akitio enclosure. I have a second enclosure daisy chained to the akitio. All my storage and backup.

I wonder, can I hook the pa271q to the other thunderbolt 2 port and then connect my old nec 2690 to the 'display port out' of the new monitor? I'm interested in using the old monitor, which still works, for photoshop palettes and lightroom library and the new one for color and b&w work.

There's also an hdmi port on the macbook pro but always thought it might not display highest quality that way. I'm only doing still photography. No video. I might not understand the limitations of hdmi.

oh, my computer is a mid 2015 macbook pro with amd radeon R9 M370x 2048 mb + intel iris pro 1536 mb video stuff...

Based on how Czornyj detailed the monitor I think it would be a good solution for me quality wise and budget too.

thanks
M

Klahne

« Reply #37 on: August 23, 2018, 09:56:49 am »

The new NEC PA271Q is now shipping from B&H.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #38 on: August 23, 2018, 12:11:23 pm »

I wonder, can I hook the pa271q to the other thunderbolt 2 port and then connect my old nec 2690 to the 'display port out' of the new monitor?
I can't see why that would not work (or if not out of the new display, the MacBook itself) and if memory serves me, that MBP has sufficient horse power to drive those two plus it's display.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Morris Taub

• morristaubphotography
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2018, 12:40:24 pm »

I can't see why that would not work (or if not out of the new display, the MacBook itself) and if memory serves me, that MBP has sufficient horse power to drive those two plus it's display.

Hi Andrew. Thanks for reply. I guess I'm just not sure about that display port out behind the pa 271q and how that would connect to my old 2690. Use a cable for display port out and find an adapter to hook up to the dvi-i port of the old 2690? Slowly, this is starting to make sense to me.

Right now my 2690 is hooked up that way. Dvi-i cable to one of apple's dvi to thunderbolt 2 adapters. And yes, with the dual cards my macbook pro is supposed to have the horse power to drive it all.

Another way? I might be able to use a dvi to hdmi connector if one exists and plug my old monitor in that way. My macbook pro does have an hdmi port. Not sure how usability would be that way. I like, right now, how my macbook pro monitor and the nec are independent and how i can drag things, windows, files, all over the place. I assume that would continue.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2018, 12:46:20 pm by Morris Taub »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up