Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Upgrade to Eizo?  (Read 341 times)

Nightjar

Upgrade to Eizo?
« on: January 01, 2018, 01:19:20 PM »

Hi there,

I have two projects in the pipeline which make me think about upgrading to a professional grade monitor. I own a uncalibrated Asus PA279Q which I'm ok happy with, but it hass problems with uniformity, backlight bleeding and the lack of hardware calibration or a proper hood.

To give more detail: I would manly get a reference monitor for two art projects (and hopefully I can make us of it for many more projects in the future): One is a fine art photography exhibition where I need prints and the other is for an experimental short film which need grading to be screened in a cinema. Now I looked at a bunch of the newer wide gamut monitors from Benq (e.g.= SW320 and the 4k Asus - but Eizo really seems to one step above those even though spec wise they're pretty much the same. I also looked on the NEC side which is a bit cheaper, but Eizo seems to be more fit on the video side. Plus I read some times that color navigator is easier to handle (and Eizo has included Calibrators and Hood).

So the ideal solution would be the 4K Eizo model (CG318), but I simply cannot afford this monitor or justify the price at the level I am right now.

The Benq SW320 seems to be really nice, but people have struggles with the hardware calibration app and you have to be quite lucky to get a model which doesn't have mediocre uniformity.

I guess it pretty much comes down to those monitors:

Eizo CG2730:
+Good contrast ratio of 1500:1
+DCI Color Space 98%
+True Black Panel
+Just in my price range

- It has an integrated calibrator but it doesn't seem to measure grayscale; is this a big deal?
- Not 3D LUTs: Also not sure, it's something I need
- Not many Presets in OSD; justr sRGB & RGB*
- Not many reviews online; does anybody have this monitor an can say something about it?

Eizo CG277
+True Black Panel
+2 x 3D Lut
+Many presets in OSD: DCI, REC709 etc.
+fully equipped built in calibrator

- Contras of 1000:1 --> not sure it's relevant for printing
- DCI Color Space of 93% --> at lift gamma gain, alot of people recommend grading in rec709 anyways; so maybe not really relevant(?)
-A bit outside my price range
-(release in 2014; something new coming soon for the same price?)

Eizo CG248

+pretty much the same as the CG277
+4K, opinion devide here: some say it's a huge step up, why others claim 4k on a 24'' is not necessary

-price
-24''; I would surely prefer a 27''
-Fans; some claim it's rather loud, while other don't bother

Eizo CG247X

+has all the features of the 277 and more for a reasonable price

-FullHD is a little below what I like to work in and in my opinion outdated
-24''

I would really like to hear from people who have used the above listed monitors, maybe even used several of them.

Thanks for the help and tipps.

Cheers

*How do I integrate other profiles like the missing DCI P3; is an ICC profile save in Colornavigator?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:47:25 PM by Nightjar »

Dan Wells

• http://
Re: Upgrade to Eizo?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 03:19:27 PM »

Eizo also has the CS2730, which is the same basic panel as the CG2730, but without the built-in calibrator (it still has the monitor-native calibration, but you plug an external calibrator into a USB port on the monitor). I have one, and it's a beautiful monitor that calibrates near-perfectly for around $1200 with 2.5K resolution and a 27" screen size. I'd go for a CS2730 over going down to 1920x1080 or a 24" side. If you don't already have one, a calibration puck adds about $150 (either an i1 Display  or a Spyder works just fine).
It's a HUGE cut above a 4 year old Dell "Adobe RGB" monitor from the high end of their UltraSharp series. I can't get the Dell neutral no matter what I try, while the Eizo was quite close out of the box, and is near-perfect after calibration.

Dan

ChrisMax

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2018, 08:29:44 AM »

Ditto on the CS2730 which I also own!  Link to review on PRAD:

https://www.prad.de/testberichte/test-monitor-eizo-cs2730/

Nightjar

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2018, 06:10:20 PM »

Thanks for your answer.

Though, the CS2730 has a different screen; it's not a true black panel as Eizo lables it and the contrast ratio is 1000:1 instead of 1500:1

Cheers
Pages: [1]   Go Up