Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One Pro to Phocus  (Read 7770 times)

calindustries

• http://www.craiglacourt.com
Capture One Pro to Phocus
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:13:26 am »

I've never used Phocus. I've been a capture one user since version 3. I'm curious to hear feedback from people who have used Phocus AND recent Capture One extensively. I'd love to hear critical reviews of using Phocus on set with client etc. I use, and am completely happy with, Capture One work flow on set. The ability to quickly view/rough edit, arrange, process, have multiple client displays with preview windows, etc. I have plenty of experience with this pushing thousands of images a day during beauty, celebrity, shoots etc. How does Phocus stack up as far as robustness and speed for this type of environment?
At some point I'm going to have to move my back to cmos (currently running a ccd Credo on H4x platform) and I'm not in love with the Phase XF platform for people/movement shooting (the shutter delay KILLS me) so sticking to H platform for now (until a solid tether option (not lightroom) comes out for Fuji, then I may consider other options).
I'd love to stick with Phase backs/ but the price/new orange lens options/ etc of fully Hasselblad system has me wondering if that's not a better option then the proven phase/hassy hybrid that has been industry standard to this point.

kenkenman

• www.KenBrownArt.com
Re: Capture One Pro to Phocus
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 02:58:26 pm »

They don't really compare. Phocus gives you the most out of a Hasselblad file so I think it's better than using Lightroom for processing, even though I think LR is better for tethering than Phocus. And for tethering, Phocus is not that great. There are lots of quirks, the shortcut keys are different than most photo programs (which drives me mad at least), the layout is clunky, and to be completely honest: Phocus just sucks for on set workflow.

As for use on set with clients, I'm a DT, have an H back, have used Phocus for a few years, and I wouldn't recommend it. I bought a Phase back last year just because I prefer using C1. And if you do go with an H back and want to use Phocus, most DT's won't know how to use it.

If you're just shooting on your own time or are the kind of photographer who usually shoots to card/all you want to do is adjust a file and process it out, then Phocus will be fine. But for anything more than that, it's best to stick with C1, IMHO.

As for the shutter delay in the XF, try switching it to Focal Plane Shutter only if you haven't yet. The lag is much shorter than with LS.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 02:39:57 am »

After years of C1 Pro I sometimes use Phocus on my H6D-100c files and it delivers excellent image quality. The lenses profiles are great and it does LCC for tech camera lenses.

Overall I use LR more though since I find it faster and love some productivity tools such as the automated verticals correction.

Phocus is by no means a poor piece of software though, it is probably the best dedicated raw converter but falls short of generic tools.

Cheers,
Bernard

jvpictures

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 05:03:03 am »

I have and still do using C1 for probably over 10 years with various Nikon APS-C and FF cameras, but stopped upgrading after version 9. Current release is 11 today. After having invested -in addition to the Nikon- in Hasselblad gear a couple of years ago (and still do) I was also confronted with Phocus, and unsurprisingly it was not easy to get used to it after the long-lasting C1 experience. 3 years ago the older Phocus sw was much limited and rather quirky, no question. For a while I "transformed" the H files via DNG and some trickery in order to read these files into C1 (there are some ways to do that. If that is interesting for you make a search here or on getdpi. I'm sure Doug Peterson will now intervene here !  ;D). But I don't do that anymore, it was just adding another loop in the regular workflow.

Today i develop all H files into Phocus solely and the NEF files into C1. Phocus with version 3.x got much better and is very stable (running a powerful MBP on Sierra). It lacks some features versus C1 but also supersedes C1 in some other areas. Especially the lens corrections and color transition for H files are unbeatable when processing in Phocus. Some features like layers were added in Phocus 3, which were there already for years in C1. For example, the saturation slider using the color picker on a specific area in the image works in Phocus better than in C1 IMHO; it differentiates the saturation better just on the selected color and does less smudging on other colors as C1 sometimes does. Just an example from my findings (maybe others have controversy findings).

I must also mention that I do only basic adjustments in Phocus (exposure, curves, saturation, sharpening, cropping, etc.the usual stuff...) but seldom using layers or brushes or dodging&burning etc in a raw converter. I do these advanced techniques on the exported 16 bit TIFF files in PS CC. I know there seems to be a trend to do all that within the raw converter and this is a clear strategy for C1 I think but less for Phocus I would say.

Unlike the other gentlemen here I find tethering with Phocus smooth and practical, it works like a charm. But I am referring here to the latest version of Phocus and also the latest firm- and hardware for the H6D-100c, which comes with power over USB 3.0 from Mac. I would agree that the firewire 800 connection for tethering in previous H models was not optimal. I do a lot of tethering in studio environment for product shots, fine art reproduction work and portrait sessions. I do not tether during an outdoor session. 

Overall i would say Phocus today is pretty capable piece of software and for me a necessity if working with H files (I never went the route with Lightroom). But to be honest, without the H files I would have never ever even touched Phocus. The greatest pain is probably to run 2 similar softwares (Phocus for Hasselblad and C1 for my Nikons), but one get used to that. I do use the library function of C1 with all references in one file but the actual NEF's are stored externally on my various drives on the Mac (opposite to work in "Sessions"). Thus i am able to use C1 also as a library tool for all my Nikon files. Obviously this is not possible for the H-files and that I regret to a certain extent forcing me to run 2 different set of databases.

A good point for Phocus: it is free of charge and getting updated continuously. A new version will come up soon which will bring back the camera profiling and other enhancements I was told. On the other hand -as you probably are well aware off- C1 almost each year in December comes out with a new payable release (and sometimes with only minor enhancements...)

Hope this helps a little.

Christopher

• http://www.hauser-photoart.com
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 10:40:48 am »

Just as a reference point. C1 pro is as free as Phocus is for phase one backs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Christopher Hauser
[email=chris@hauser-p

kenkenman

• www.KenBrownArt.com
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 11:06:29 am »

Unlike the other gentlemen here I find tethering with Phocus smooth and practical, it works like a charm. But I am referring here to the latest version of Phocus and also the latest firm- and hardware for the H6D-100c, which comes with power over USB 3.0 from Mac. I would agree that the firewire 800 connection for tethering in previous H models was not optimal. I do a lot of tethering in studio environment for product shots, fine art reproduction work and portrait sessions. I do not tether during an outdoor session.

I guess I mis-wrote or didn't explain fully. Actual tethering is good with Phocus. I have just as many connection drops with Phase as I do Hasselblad. But I was referring to the capabilities of it as capture software in the grander scheme. It connects just fine to a camera, downloads the images, and lets you make some adjustments and process them out. But on the sets I work on there are other requirements and the OP might be in that situation. Phocus will not have some features that C1 does and people have come to expect. So if you're trying to keep things good for your clients, I think you should keep that in mind.

calindustries

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 11:14:09 am »

These are all excellent write ups. Thank you. Like Ken, I work as a DT as well. That's the main reason I was wondering about Phocus. I can teach myself to get used to other software should I need to but I don't work nearly as fast for myself as I do for others on set. That's where the stability of C1 shines.

Interesting point to switch the XF to focal plane only. I never thought of that, although it kills any faster synch options  obviously (no biggie in studio but on location it's an issue). On paper the XF seems like it could be an almost perfect camera for a majority of my needs (and it feels lightyears beyond the rebadged Mamiya they were pushing out until then) but it doesn't feel as good in the hand (weight and balance) as an H body. I've only teched or worked with an XF 3-4 times and none of the times did people like it better than an H, but it had been an option they had been sort of stuck with (again these are subjective opinions I'm collecting, but we aren't completely objectives engineers here either).

If Phocus is worse than Lightroom than it's a definite no go. I wouldn't touch lightroom for on set tethering with a 10 foot pole. Not when there are 15 people over my shoulder wanting to see things NOW. Although from what I'm reading here from JV and a few other places it seems that people are liking new new Phocus better than previous versions?

Again, thanks again for the feedback. I didn't want this to get into a discussion about the cameras alone (in fact I've done more camera talk here than even I intended) and it hasn't.

calindustries

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 12:10:53 pm »

I guess I mis-wrote or didn't explain fully. Actual tethering is good with Phocus. I have just as many connection drops with Phase as I do Hasselblad. But I was referring to the capabilities of it as capture software in the grander scheme. It connects just fine to a camera, downloads the images, and lets you make some adjustments and process them out. But on the sets I work on there are other requirements and the OP might be in that situation. Phocus will not have some features that C1 does and people have come to expect. So if you're trying to keep things good for your clients, I think you should keep that in mind.

Thanks you! Also looking at your site I see you work with Anton Watts. I don't know him but my wife has hired him for a long job last year and says he's a really nice guy!

jvpictures

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 12:19:22 pm »

Just as a reference point. C1 pro is as free as Phocus is for phase one backs.

yes, absolutely correct. forgot about that since I never owned a Phase. But as Nikon shooter always had to pay (no biggy but...)

jvpictures

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 12:34:44 pm »

Don't want to start is discussion about pros and cons of Phocus vs Capture One's capabilities for tethering, but what might these "other requirement and features" be on a set? i did tethered shooting into C1 with my D2x..D3...D4s but didn't notice any big differences from tethering with Phocus, except that i couldn't get the damn images stable displayed on the screen when shooting straight downwards for repro work (but that was more of a Nikon problem...I think that gyro sensor was not properly recognized by C1). Can u enlighten us a bit, might be interesting to know what else is out there...? Thanks

kenkenman

• www.KenBrownArt.com
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2017, 12:58:06 pm »

Thanks you! Also looking at your site I see you work with Anton Watts. I don't know him but my wife has hired him for a long job last year and says he's a really nice guy!

Yup, he's super nice! That was before I started working with him a bunch but I think I know the job you're referring to.

I like the XF. But cameras are subjective. I've had people tell me H bodies hurt their fingers and they prefer the XF...Whatever that means!

They added some new things in Phocus 3. It's nicer. I had high hopes for it but once I started using it, I think it still falls very short of what I'm used to with C1.

kenkenman

• www.KenBrownArt.com
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 01:58:30 pm »

Don't want to start is discussion about pros and cons of Phocus vs Capture One's capabilities for tethering, but what might these "other requirement and features" be on a set? i did tethered shooting into C1 with my D2x..D3...D4s but didn't notice any big differences from tethering with Phocus, except that i couldn't get the damn images stable displayed on the screen when shooting straight downwards for repro work (but that was more of a Nikon problem...I think that gyro sensor was not properly recognized by C1). Can u enlighten us a bit, might be interesting to know what else is out there...? Thanks

The layout, I feel, is much cleaner, more customizable, and tools/menus are faster to cycle/switch through. There are numerous keyboard shortcuts in C1 and this really makes a big difference on a fast paced set. Where there are separate panels for information in C1, there's a drop down menu or file menu in Phocus that takes up the screen or prevents you from doing anything. When a photographer is shooting fashion and images are constantly streaming in, it helps the tech to be able to see stuff in a side menu vs a drop down.

Also, things like the color editor, scripts, processing options and most importantly, how the two programs differ with file management. Phocus gives you some very basic options for name presets and folder organization. C1 is incredible and vast with the ways you can organize, search, filter, rate, name, and manage files and folders.

For instance, when I'm working on a job that spans 10-20 days with several shots per day and, quite literally, thousands and thousands (or gigs/tb's) of images, then the organizational abilities offered in C1 become important. And the differences between Phocus and C1 start making themselves apparent.

So a big part for me is that using C1 is smoother and quicker. It lets me do my job without the issues Phocus has displayed to me in the past.

I do want to say that I really wanted Phocus to be great. And version 3 is much better than 2. C1 has a bunch of features and shortcuts that are also available in Phocus but they're just implemented better in C1.

And of course, I'm writing from the perspective of a digitech. If you don't see any differences between the two programs in your workflow, no real need to switch.

As for the top down stuff, that's always been a finicky thing in C1 with 35mm since, as they say, they're making the software for Phase products and just adding support for smaller systems as a nice "feature." But they dealt with it much better now than it's been in previous versions if you haven't tried C1 10 yet.

jvpictures

« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 03:04:00 pm »

thank you for your information.
i do not shoot *thousands of pictures in a day" but would agree to that for such cases C1 might have an edge in terms of speed and data file management.
But the drop down menu system is not (anymore) in Phocus 3. Similar to C1 they have panels like Capture, Information, Adjustments and Export on the right of the image display combined with the file browser on the left. And each of these panels can be customized to one's liking, similar than in C1. But here is no keyboard customization as in C1.
To understand me right, for me such IMO "minor" aspects are not decisive for or against using a specific software. For me, the decisive factor is the quality of handling the files from raw into workable exports, and since I work with .fff files Phocus is the best solution. If I was shooting with a XF Phase I would for sure work only with C1 and thus avoiding to run 2 systems (as I have other files to work with in C1).
So, I think the software will follow the hardware choices due to lack of opportunities (never used and never will use Lightroom; too bad that C1 does not support native H files, but I can understand this strategy).

kenkenman

• www.KenBrownArt.com
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 03:28:43 pm »

But the drop down menu system is not (anymore) in Phocus 3. Similar to C1 they have panels like Capture, Information, Adjustments and Export on the right of the image display combined with the file browser on the left.

I did a really bad job of explaining that. For instance, I mean I can't adjust export settings in a separate panel like you can in C1 while the viewer is still fully visible. Phocus pops up a window right in the middle. Little things like that bug me since I'm often working while the client is hovering over my shoulder looking at the images come in, even though I have another monitor set up for them to look at...

calindustries

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 03:57:08 pm »

I did a really bad job of explaining that. For instance, I mean I can't adjust export settings in a separate panel like you can in C1 while the viewer is still fully visible. Phocus pops up a window right in the middle. Little things like that bug me since I'm often working while the client is hovering over my shoulder looking at the images come in, even though I have another monitor set up for them to look at...

This is the sort of info I’m looking for. For the exact same reason (my gear works with my DT service as much as I can get it to). Does Phocus have a separate viewer window you can have on 2nd/3rd displays like C1 does?

jvpictures

« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 04:49:31 pm »

not really. see this:

after changing the export settings, if necessary at all- then just hit the export button and choose storing location if not yet done already and be done with this. the status of the exported files shows at button Mac apps line. No interference with the viewer in the meantime....

kenkenman

• www.KenBrownArt.com
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 04:51:55 pm »

This is the sort of info I’m looking for. For the exact same reason (my gear works with my DT service as much as I can get it to). Does Phocus have a separate viewer window you can have on 2nd/3rd displays like C1 does?

It does. I'd sign up for a free Hassy account if you don't have one and download it just to mess around with the menu options. With all my poo pooing on it, it might be totally fine for what you're looking for. Just don't use it expecting much more than the basics ;D .

jvpictures

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 04:53:25 pm »

yeas. see this:
http://jvpictures.com/share/phocus1.png

jvpictures

« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 04:55:36 pm »

It does. I'd sign up for a free Hassy account if you don't have one and download it just to mess around with the menu options. With all my poo pooing on it, it might be totally fine for what you're looking for. Just don't use it expecting much more than the basics ;D .
that certainly will help more than this forum discussions...

kenkenman

• www.KenBrownArt.com
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 05:20:36 pm »

not really. see this:

after changing the export settings, if necessary at all- then just hit the export button and choose storing location if not yet done already and be done with this. the status of the exported files shows at button Mac apps line. No interference with the viewer in the meantime....

How did you get the main dialog screen to go away? Or how did you get the Output Preset window to show up on it's own? The only way I seem to be able to access it is by going through the main dialog window after clicking export like in the photo attached.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up