Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Adobe LR help is a bad joke.  (Read 3987 times)

PeterAit

• Peter Aitken Photographs
Adobe LR help is a bad joke.
« on: December 29, 2017, 10:38:56 am »

I am using Lightroom CC Classic. I am for the first time using the slideshow module and need some help. So I call up the online help and am offered a video tutorial. I click on that and what do I get? A tutorial on creating slideshows in Lightroom version 3!!! Unbelievable.

Kevin Gallagher

Re: Adobe LR help is a bad joke.
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2017, 12:00:39 pm »

Hi Peter, awhile back someone on LULA recommended to me Adobe Lightroom The Missing FAQ by Victoria Bampton. FWIW I found it to be very helpful.

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2017, 12:44:56 pm »

Well, it may not be unbelievable. If nothing fundamental about the Slide Show module has changed since version 3, maybe that Help resource remains useful - I don't know. That said, software developers are not always the best place to find comprehensive technical guidance on how to use their products. I agree Victoria Bampton's Lightroom FAQ is very good. Also Martin Evening's Lightroom CC/Lightroom 6 books is very comprehensive and also up to date.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

davidedric

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2017, 01:03:20 pm »

Victoria's Lightroom Classic version of her book hasn't arrived yet, but if you purchase an electronic copy of her Lightroom 6 book, you'll get a free copy of Classic when it is published.

Dave

pflower

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:11:25 am »

I have had two major problems with LR - one being the slideshow module not working at all (turned out to be a problem with the disk permissions).  I found that the telephone support provided by Adobe was first class and resolved both problems immediately.  I agree the online help is not of great help outside of really obvious things, but I would recommend you finding the relevant telephone support number and try that.

I am using Lightroom CC Classic. I am for the first time using the slideshow module and need some help. So I call up the online help and am offered a video tutorial. I click on that and what do I get? A tutorial on creating slideshows in Lightroom version 3!!! Unbelievable.

brianrybolt

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 06:33:52 am »

I have had two major problems with LR - one being the slideshow module not working at all (turned out to be a problem with the disk permissions).  I found that the telephone support provided by Adobe was first class and resolved both problems immediately.  I agree the online help is not of great help outside of really obvious things, but I would recommend you finding the relevant telephone support number and try that.
I agree - I have always found them very helpful and they don't rush you through whatever process you need help with.  I'm based in the UK and other areas might be different.

rdonson

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2017, 08:06:20 am »

There are a ton of resources available online from Adobe for Lightroom if you look for them. Not to mention on YouTube. 

http://blogs.adobe.com/jkost/lightroom-training-videos
Regards,
Ron

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2017, 04:47:40 pm »

There are a ton of resources available online from Adobe for Lightroom if you look for them. Not to mention on YouTube.

Yes, indeed.  I think Kost's 2015 slideshow tutorial is a good introduction.  It's presented in her breezy, businesslike "I-know-you're-in-a-hurry" style, but still manages to offer a comprehensive overview of the module's features.  It would make sense, I think, for Adobe to assemble and maintain a usable index of the latest text and video resources describing Lightroom's functionality that it has produced.  While they may all be searchable online, if you don't frame your query carefully you can wind up with an out-of-date explanation even though a newer one is available.

As a general aside, I personally have never found dedicated books on how to use a specific program to be very useful.  If I want to quickly answer a focused question about a particular feature, they typically provide too much information to wade through in order to find just what I need to know, and present it too slowly and methodically.  If I want to improve my craft, I find I'm better off with a book that emphasizes technique rather than the use of a single program's feature set, such as Jeff Schewe's The Digital Negative.

pearlstreet

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 05:45:35 pm »

Peter, I'm with you. I think there should be a searchable help that downloads with the program like they used to do. I don't want to take the time to call or search through videos or forum responses. They should allow you to search through the program.

Onslow

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2017, 06:08:35 pm »

I wish I could say the same. I was unable to get a phone contact number through the adobe site. Only option provided to me was the adobe help forums. After a 2 week wait with no reply I found the @AdobeCare twitter handle. I contacted them and it took about 4-5 weeks to eventually resolve the issue through Twitter. The references they were repeatedly providing me were for MacOS (I am on Win10 64). That was wasting heaps of time.
Eventually the issue with the cache location and size was resolved but my impressions of Adobe support for LR is very poor. I had no option for phone support or the Adobe Chat agents on their site.
Cheers

Onslow

CeeVee

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2018, 03:33:28 pm »

I don't recall ever (for any software) seeing what I'd call decent help files. Usually it seems to take 2 - 3 generations of "help" before I've seen a useful one.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Pelzmann

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 06:30:45 pm »

I wish I could say the same. I was unable to get a phone contact number through the adobe site. Only option provided to me was the adobe help forums. .....

This has been my experience in trying to find a phone contact number. I'd certainly appreciate advice on exactly where I should be looking.

Chris Kern

• Chris Kern's Eponymous Website
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 07:22:13 pm »

I wish I could say the same. I was unable to get a phone contact number through the adobe site

This has been my experience in trying to find a phone contact number. I'd certainly appreciate advice on exactly where I should be looking.

Neither of you have currently set a location in your LuLa profile.  Are you are aware you can do that?  If for some reason you don't want to identify the city where you typically post from, it would be helpful for those who want to assist you at least to identify the country.

It's difficult to offer advice, especially regarding specific vendors, if forum posters don't identify their locations.

(Obviously you should ignore this suggestion if you're in the United States witness protection program.)

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 07:58:50 pm »

In the USA and Canada the Adobe Support Phone Number is 1-800-833-6687.

I found this after a lot of fishing around on their website, I tested it and it is valid.

Now that I have made it so transparent they will probably change it. But try it while it's good! :-)

saiguy

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 11:20:10 pm »

When I first got LR4 in April 2013 the Adobe Support phone number was the same as Mark has stated.

Onslow

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 02:34:15 am »

Neither of you have currently set a location in your LuLa profile.  Are you are aware you can do that?  If for some reason you don't want to identify the city where you typically post from, it would be helpful for those who want to assist you at least to identify the country.

It's difficult to offer advice, especially regarding specific vendors, if forum posters don't identify their locations.

(Obviously you should ignore this suggestion if you're in the United States witness protection program.)
Cheers for that Chris. I have rectified that that now. I live in Australia. I used to be able to contact Adobe through the live support options on their site. It seems though to have disappeared. Whether this is a difference in support that Adobe offer different countries I have no idea.
I do know there was no phone support option available..
Cheers

Onslow

BrianWJH

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 04:11:50 am »

Onslow try 0297784100.

Brian.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2018, 09:39:46 am »

............... I live in Australia. I used to be able to contact Adobe through the live support options on their site. It seems though to have disappeared. Whether this is a difference in support that Adobe offer different countries I have no idea.
I do know there was no phone support option available..

Same story in North America. At least with the Adobe site if you are prepared to spend enough time fishing around you can still find the number, as I reported above. Actually Amazon.com has done a better job of wiping support numbers off of ALL areas of their website; I found it necessary to do an Internet search and came up with the number. They are even cheeky enough to sell a poorly rated booklet telling you how to contact Amazon by phone. These companies reach a certain level of wealth and indispensability that they try to get away with lessening costly support options. Each call to a company call center is actually quite costly (staff time and support infrastructure), so the more they can tamp down on these costs the better it is for the bottom line.
Pages: [1]   Go Up