Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: iPF5000 Question  (Read 13472 times)

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« on: September 21, 2006, 11:20:14 pm »

Michael,
I have just ordered a iPF5000 and can't wait to start using it. I enjoyed your review very much. I have a question about the "Media Configuration Tool". Have you had any more information or success with choosing other paper types and recording them? I have many sheets if ilford paper that I would like to use. Do you know if anyone has used classic pearl and smooth gloss with this printer?
Thanks
Dennis

marcmccalmont

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2006, 12:36:23 am »

I have used both and they work well. I would use a custom profile for best results. I select the photopaperplus and photoplussemigloss settings. My favorite paper is Fuji pro though, it is whiter, thicker and has more contrast and detail, to my eye it is better than either the Ilford or the Canon papers, by a small amount . You will love the printers output but will be frustrated with its user interface. For highest quality use the 16 bit plugin (under export) feed it a 16 bit tiff and upsize the image to your print size using 600ppi. I've fed it adobe rgb tiffs,  profoto rgb tiffs and 8 bit srgb jpegs (perceptual intent) and it seems to handle all just fine. Don’t forget to set the paper type, size etc on both the printer and your computer. You will have fun.

Marc

PS If you ordered the roll feed install it before loading the print driver so the software recognizes it.
Marc McCalmont

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 08:29:27 am »

Thanks Marc,
I will take a look at the Fuji pro paper. These kinds of tips are invaluable! I’ve been using Canon gear for a few years now and do wish they would hire a new front end programmer, that was a photographer, to do their cameras, software and printers. The 1ds manual is hopeless.
Dennis

marcmccalmont

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 11:05:08 pm »

Thanks Marc,
I will take a look at the Fuji pro paper. These kinds of tips are invaluable! I’ve been using Canon gear for a few years now and do wish they would hire a new front end programmer, that was a photographer, to do their cameras, software and printers. The 1ds manual is hopeless.
Dennis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77256\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The Fuji pro is available in Japan up to B+ but I have yet to find it in the states larger than letter size. If you find a source here, let me know. You will also find very little info on the iPF5000. Lots of comments and opinions on Epsons and printing in general but little specifics for the iPF5K so I've had to do a lot of experimenting. The 16 bit plugin is good but is the resizing as good as PS or genuine fractals? how about sharpening? is unidirectional better than bidirectional?
No one knows or is willing to share the info so I've printed a lot of tests. Here are my conclusions. some are small differences some are more apparent

Plugin is best
16 pass is best
600ppi is best
no difference in bi or unidirectional
upsizing in steps PS bicubic smoother is better than the plugins upsizing
PS smart sharpen or NIK sharpener is equivalent
or upsizing w/ genuine fractals and no sharpening is equivalent (less time and steps). (I process the raws with DXO optics and find they need little or no pre printing sharpening anyways)

perhaps other users will share their opinions specific to the iPF5000

You will love the prints people are always amazed at the results.
Marc
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:06:13 pm by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2006, 02:43:55 pm »

Hi Marc,
Thanks for the info! It will help me greatly when I get my printer this week. I also took your advice and ordered the roll feeder, so when I install drivers it will confuse things less. I started using Epson printers, like everyone else, and now have a 2200 and 7600 that I hardly use anymore. They 2200 is up for sale. This all started when I bought a Canon i9900 which proved superior to the Epson in most ways, especially with speed, resolution and color. The big drawback was the longevity of prints not under glass and always changing inks.  The iPF5000 solves all those issues and more.  I bought a role of Canon premium glossy and some sheets of satin paper to use as a baseline for testing other papers. It also lets me use the media configuration tool with less hassle while I get used to the printer.  Using your and Michael’s review info, I will do my own tests and will be happy to share my results. Have you tried Qimage with the 16 bit driver? I know use Quimage quite a bit and believe that it up sizes image to 600dpi also before output. I shoot with a 1DsMark2 and stitch many images to get 100mb pulse finals. I will start with the Canon papers and then test the Ilford paper I have. I have not seen any suppliers of Fuji paper and see that fuji is tightly aligned with Epson only offering Epson ICC’s.
Thanks
Dennis
« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 02:45:10 pm by Dennishh »

David White

• http://
iPF5000 Question
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2006, 04:50:09 pm »

Hi Marc,
Have you tried Qimage with the 16 bit driver? I know use Quimage quite a bit and believe that it up sizes image to 600dpi also before output.
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77415\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

The 16-bit driver is a plug-in for Photoshop and will not help you with QImage.
David White

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2006, 08:06:28 pm »

Thanks David, I’m sorry to hear that. Maybe Qimage can incorporate the plug-in. What I did do was to layout an image in Q-image and save it to a file. This took 50 seconds on a 200meg file with some white space around. I opened the file in Photoshop and was amazed to see the quality of the 600dpi , interpolated image.  It took longer to upsize, adjust levels and sharpen to get an equivalent file in Photoshop. I really won’t know more about how this works till I get the printer.
Dennis

RonBoyd

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2006, 08:34:42 pm »

What I did do was to layout an image in Q-image and save it to a file. This took 50 seconds on a 200meg file with some white space around. I opened the file in Photoshop and was amazed to see the quality of the 600dpi , interpolated image.  [a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77438\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Dennis,

How did you do this? I find a way to "Save" (the File/Save menu) in Qimage (v2007.108) but all it saves is the Settings that Qimage uses not an image file that can be opened in Photoshop. What am I doing wrong?

Ron

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2006, 09:27:44 pm »

Hi Ron
I am using 2007.131. Go to File/Print to/ File and make selections. Then choose file/print, a dialogue box opens for you to pick file type and destination.
Dennis

marcmccalmont

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2006, 10:51:45 pm »

The answer I got from Qimage is it uses the 8 bit windows driver so until windows prints 16 bit tiffs (the next version) Qimage is 8 bit only, Ron what agreat idea I will compare Genuine Fractals to Qimage to PS bicubic smoother and see which one looks better, I never would have thought of that.
Marc
Marc McCalmont

David White

• http://
iPF5000 Question
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2006, 02:42:51 am »

Michael,
 I have a question about the "Media Configuration Tool". Have you had any more information or success with choosing other paper types and recording them? I have many sheets if ilford paper that I would like to use. Do you know if anyone has used classic pearl and smooth gloss with this printer?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Back to the original question.  The media configuration tool basically does nothing except allow you to add new paper types from a Media Information File supplied by Canon and upload them to the printer.  You can't add your own paper types.

You will want custom profiles for your papers unless you can find generic profiles supplied by the paper manufacturer for the IPF5000.  Usually for luster type papers, the Canon Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss seems to be the preferred setting.  I have also used the  Heavyweight SemiGlos Photo Paper setting when feeding Hahnemuhle FineArt Pearl from the roll feeder because it won't allow selecting Photo Paper Plus Semi-Gloss from the roll feeder because apparently it isn't available in rolls, only sheets.
David White

martinmitch

• http://www.crispynails.co.uk/
iPF5000 Question
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2006, 04:59:09 am »

Hello

Follow this link where you will find a lot of inforemation posted by users of Canon iPF5000,There are 16 pages but you will eventually read the inforemation you are asking for.

http://luminous-landscape.com/forum/index....showtopic=10914

Bye
martinmitch
Crispy Nails Animation Studio.

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2006, 11:18:39 am »

Thanks for the link! Good info.
Dennis

marcmccalmont

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2006, 01:45:11 am »

Keep this list near your printer for the first few weeks!!! [attachment=977:attachment]

ISO A2+          17.00 X 24.00
ISO A2          16.54 X 23.39
ISO A3+          12.95 X 19.02
ISO A3          11.69 X 16.54
ISO A3 (L)          16.54 X 11.69
ISO A4          08.27 X 11.69
ISO A4 (L)          11.69 X 08.27
ISO B3          13.90 X 19.69
ISO B4          09.84 X 13.90
ISO B4 (L)          13.90 X 09.84
JIS B3          14.33 X 20.28
JIS B4          10.12 X 14.33
JIS B4 (L)          14.33 X 10.12
ANSI B Super   13.00 X 19.00
ANSI B           11.00 X 17.00
ANSI B (L)          17.00 X 13.00
ANSI Letter      08.50 X 11.00
ANSI Legal       08.50 X 14.00
ANSI Legal (L)  14.00 X 08.50
ARCH B          12.00 X 18.00
ARCH A          09.00 X 12.00
ARCH A (L)       12.00 X 09.00
DIN C3          12.76 X18.03
DIN C4          09.02 X 12.76
DIN C4 (L)          12.76 X 09.02
14 X 17          14.00 X 17.00
14 X 17 (L)       17.00 X 14.00
12 X 16          12.00 X 16.00
12 X 16 (L)       16.00 X 12.00
10 X 12          10.00 X 12.00
10 X 12 (L)       12.00 X 10.00
10 X 15          10.00 X 15.00
10 X 15 (L)       15.00 X 10.00
8 X 10          08.00 X 10.00
8 X 10 (L)          10.00 X 08.00
USPhoto 16x20 16.00 X 20.00
Poster300X900 11.81 X 35.43
13 X 22          12.95 X 21.97

I printed a 16 bit profoto 600 ppi tiff 11"x 17" on B+ size paper
1. Genuine fractals
2. Qimage (vector, smart sharpen)
3. PSCS2 bicubic smoother x 2 + smart sharpen

They all looked the same, I might try Qimage pyramid just for grins

Marc
« Last Edit: September 25, 2006, 03:11:28 am by marcmccalmont »
Marc McCalmont

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2006, 08:55:00 am »

Hi Marc,
I have put the list up on the wall where the printer will be. I have been reading all the posts about the first printers out and have a few questions. Did you get the printer stand that goes with the iPF5000? Have you turned of the warning messages on the controller panel?  How well are the first set of inks holding up and which inks did you order first? How do the profiles work for Canon paper that came with the printer?  Does the driver remember the settings you last used, like Premium glossy in the roll feeder and letter Satin in the cassette?  Did you run a head alignment when you got your printer? This is just a start. It seems that when working with 16 bit files the best way to res up to 600dpi is with Photoshop, do you agree? Hopefully Canon would have made some changes to the printer software by now.
Thanks for the help!
Dennis

marcmccalmont

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2006, 12:32:58 pm »

Dennis,

1. Did you get the printer stand that goes with the iPF5000?

No I bought a $99 24" tool box w/4 drawers from Lowes then I used a bead of RTV to  prevent it from sliding off. I also bought a $12 thick grill cover (matching grey!!!) to keep it covered.

2. Have you turned of the warning messages on the controller panel?

No

3. How well are the first set of inks holding up and which inks did you order first?

Very well I have printed a lot and am now 3 months later just starting to replace the inks. PM, PGY and GY were the first to go then Y and BK now C, M, R, G & B are low. IT supplies had them for $63 but now they are $71 I was thinking of buying an entire set but then thought of the expense and figured why inventory the inks?

4. How do the profiles work for Canon paper that came with the printer?

Good I have not had any of the Canon papers profiled so I cannot compare Canon profiles to custom, but the custom profiles ($40 Cathys Profiles)  do seem to not only improve color accuracy but improve print quality also. Remember to print targets from the 16 bit driver not the 8 bit windows print with preview. The 16 bit plugin requires its own unique profile.

5. Does the driver remember the settings you last used, like Premium glossy in the roll feeder and letter Satin in the cassette?

I'm not sure. I have yet to experiment with the roll feed because I had missing parts (Canon was quick to replace w/o charge) and the lower cassette would feed heavy papers unreliably (even with fanning) so all I have mastered is the sheet feed (top tray) Some of the menues and sub menues have memory and some do not so I always review all 4 tabs of the plugin prior to pressing print (I have a trash can of wasted paper)

6. Did you run a head alignment when you got your printer?

Yes this is essential and the mistake many have made claimng the printer is not continuous tone. It is relatively quick and automatic. You do not have to be present to read the boxes of lines.

7. It seems that when working with 16 bit files the best way to res up to 600dpi is with Photoshop, do you agree?

Yes always feed it 600ppi files and res up to the final print size for best results. I see no difference in the output with PS bicubic smoother + smart sharpen, Genuine Fractals or Qimage (print to file) for the print sizes this printer can produce.

8. Hopefully Canon would have made some changes to the printer software by now.

The biggest issue is support for 3rd party papers, it has been months since its release, so I'm not holding my breath for any software upgrades.

Marc
Marc McCalmont

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2006, 02:18:13 pm »

Marc,
Do you know is Canon supply 16 bit profiles for their papers? UPS just called to deliver the printer in about an hour.  I will now be taking all this great information and putting it to use.  I will look into Cathy’s profiles today. I will also e-mail Ilford and see if they are going to do 16bit profiles.
Thanks
Dennis

marcmccalmont

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2006, 03:47:17 pm »

Dennis
I’m sure the printer and the paper companies profiles are generic for either the 16 bit plugin or the 8 bit windows driver. My point was for best results have your favorite papers custom profiled for your 16 bit plugin, i.e. print the targets through the plugin. This is not the same as a 16 bit or a 8 bit profile. I’m assuming Cathy’s Profiles are 8 bit not 16 bit but they work fine (a significant and noticeable improvement). Perhaps someone like DigitalDog who knows more about this and can explain the intricacies to you. His profiles are $100 and I have yet to try them because of the cost. Since I love the Fuji Pro I might see if his are better (more samples, 16 bit?)
Marc
Marc McCalmont

Dennishh

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #18 on: September 29, 2006, 08:42:57 pm »

My first few days with the iPF5000 are now done, this printer is a keeper! The first prints on Ilford Smooth glossy and pearl were astonishing. All I can say is they remind me of Cibachrome prints from the old day’s. There was an instant WOW factor with Cibachrome and the Canon matches this look.  I have ordered some Fuji material to test and will need to send out for profiles, so I can see how it stacks up. All the other comments about the paper configurations and software glitches are correct. I have found that these are fairly easy to overcome by reading this forum to get the tips you need. Speed, performance, low ink usage and quality, all make up for the software shortcomings. The media configuration tool is a disaster, but I have heard that a new MED file will soon be available with most problems fixed. I also received a roll paper unit that hade some damaged parts. Canon has sent a repair tech to fix it. Canon was very responsive to my need for speed.  I would recommend buying the roll feeder from a local supplier so it can be taken back easily if damaged.  
Dennis

getforth

iPF5000 Question
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006, 12:01:41 pm »

Michael,
I have just ordered a iPF5000 and can't wait to start using it. I enjoyed your review very much. I have a question about the "Media Configuration Tool". Have you had any more information or success with choosing other paper types and recording them? I have many sheets if ilford paper that I would like to use. Do you know if anyone has used classic pearl and smooth gloss with this printer?
Thanks
Dennis
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77213\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I just ordered the iPF 5000 and am looking for info on the roll feed.
  Do you need both the feed RU01 and the hoder RH-2-11?  Or will just the holder work?

Thanks
Ron
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up