Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mamiya: dead or alive?  (Read 8846 times)

Lepanto

Mamiya: dead or alive?
« on: September 21, 2006, 06:45:43 pm »

Does anyone know what is going on at Mamiya since it has been bought by Cosmo Digital in April? The last 5 months have been very quiet. Is this a good or a bad sign for a japanese company?

mcfoto

• http://montalbetticampbell.com
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 09:18:26 pm »

They will be at photokina 2006.

http://80.237.211.11/express/M.html
look at the list.
Denis Montalbetti
Montalbetti+Campbell [

free1000

• http://www.foliobook.mobi
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2006, 04:22:17 am »

If anyone goes to Kina with a Mamiya interest, please report back on what you find. I imagine that they are currently treading water so don't expect to see much new.
@foliobook
Foliobook professional photo

WillyV.

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2006, 08:16:06 am »

Hi all! As a Mamiya dealer I can inform you that Mamiya will show news at Photokina 2006.
Please be patience and see... Just a few days and you´ll know!

marcwilson

• http://www.marcwilson.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2006, 09:18:01 am »

Go on WillyV..tell us now!

Just kidding of course.

That is good to hear as Mamiya have two great digital products in the ZD and ZD back..they just need refining and bringing out!

With the Mamiya 7 (and 6) they had the market cornered (and rightly so) in the high image quality + portability field..perhaps they could do the same with an improved ZD.

Marc
www.marcwilson.co.uk [url=http://www.mar

sjprg

« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2006, 09:50:48 am »

Its 3 PM in Germany now. Whats the word from Mamiya? Where is the ZD?
Paul

WillyV.

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2006, 10:02:37 am »

Its 3 PM in Germany now. Whats the word from Mamiya? Where is the ZD?
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77798\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi! Mamiya is at there stand with the ZD camera, the ZD back, a new zoom lens 75-150mm and also a new 28mm...

marcwilson

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2006, 10:33:15 am »

Hi! Mamiya is at there stand with the ZD camera, the ZD back, a new zoom lens 75-150mm and also a new 28mm...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=77801\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

wow..everything we were asking for..tell us more...

narikin

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2006, 11:33:41 am »

and Phase One announced a tie up with Mamiya, so the future looks a lot brighter, no?

marcwilson

« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2006, 01:57:50 pm »

any more about mamiya's new products..we are waitng with baited breath!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2006, 01:58:08 pm by marcwilson »

RobertJ

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2006, 03:54:24 pm »

Sounds nice, but I thought Mamiya was kind of already partnered with LEAF, with the AFDII/Aptus package, but whatever...

I guess Phase One is actually going to be making backs for them?

sjprg

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2006, 05:18:36 pm »

Doesn't anyone have any info to post. Mamiya's web page doesen't even have a post about Photokina.
Paul

jmboss

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2006, 03:11:39 pm »

Anybody yet have any Photokina news from the Mamiya booth?

Seems like everybody has pretty much ignored the only non prototype, currently manufactured, on the retail shelves competitor to Hasselblad.

Any in depth report on the ZD back for the 645AFD/AFDII?

Same for the new 28mm lens? (is it full frame?)

Info on their new zoom lens?

Let's see some product photos, video?

Hello out there!!!

Joe Bossuyt

pss

• http://www.schefz.com
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2006, 06:35:34 pm »

it is kind of hard to take a company seriously whose 3 major products shown were announced 2-3 years ago..the 28mm has been promised for a loooong time, the ZD is already shipping in parts of the world and the ZD back is still under glass! that was supposed to ship a year ago and they still don't let it be handled!
the ZD just did not work out...people who need the quality fork over the extra cash, people who need speed get canon/nikon...i am sure it can make some people very happy, but in th ebig picture it won't make it...the ZD back is the same technology, phase dropped their price of the P20 to 8000, so that is what they are up against....16bit simply provides a much better file then 12bit...40% resolution (incl. crop) cannot make up the lost information...some people think 12-16 bit is maybe 25% more levels...it is expotential so we are talking 1000s of levels more....
the mamiya is a great system and we will see what their partnership with phase will bring, plus i am sure that the 645 will still accept all backs and will talk to all backs...lenses are great and cheap!
the Hy6 rollei/sinar/leaf looks great and the concept looks even better, but it will be a while before it ships and i am sure there will be some problems in the beginning...

Quentin

• Quentin on Facebook
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2006, 06:59:17 am »

Mamiya have recently been a marketing disaster, making even Kodak look slick in comparison    However with new owners of the digital division, we might see improvements there, and the ZD back could be a great success if they can launch it by Spring on the US market, just as the ZD in my opinion is in Europe(14 bit capture, incidentally, compressed to 12 bits - more than enough)

Quentin

it is kind of hard to take a company seriously whose 3 major products shown were announced 2-3 years ago..the 28mm has been promised for a loooong time, the ZD is already shipping in parts of the world and the ZD back is still under glass! that was supposed to ship a year ago and they still don't let it be handled!
the ZD just did not work out...people who need the quality fork over the extra cash, people who need speed get canon/nikon...i am sure it can make some people very happy, but in th ebig picture it won't make it...the ZD back is the same technology, phase dropped their price of the P20 to 8000, so that is what they are up against....16bit simply provides a much better file then 12bit...40% resolution (incl. crop) cannot make up the lost information...some people think 12-16 bit is maybe 25% more levels...it is expotential so we are talking 1000s of levels more....
the mamiya is a great system and we will see what their partnership with phase will bring, plus i am sure that the 645 will still accept all backs and will talk to all backs...lenses are great and cheap!
the Hy6 rollei/sinar/leaf looks great and the concept looks even better, but it will be a while before it ships and i am sure there will be some problems in the beginning...
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]
Quentin Bargate, ARPS, Author, Arbitrato

aaron

• http://
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2006, 09:04:24 am »

Mamiya need a kick up the arse, we will have to hope that their new owners are planning on delivering it.  They needed the ZD back available for Photokina but it seems that its still not finished.
However, I don't see what the all the fuss is about over the development announcement of the  'Hy6 rollei' is about, you would think that there was no other option available! TODAY you can go and buy a Mamiya 645AFDII with a complete range of lenses and put any of the MFD backs on it, so whats the big deal. Roelli are introducing a new body, a competitor for the 645AFDII. not a competitor for the ZD or ZD back.
Personally, I am about to invest in MFD system, most likely the ZD, you just cant ignore the quality coming from it at the price its offered at.
After using Roelli 6008 myself for several years, i will be approaching their new offering with interest but extreme caution. After three 6008s failed on me due to electronic issues over a period of 2 years (don't bring a 6008 outside), i 'upgraded' to the Mamiya 645 which juat wont die no matter what i put it through! I may have to bury it alive. And as for the mamiya lenses, in my experience theres no competition, period. I have always believed that if Mamiya charged twice as much for their lenses then photographers would 'realise' just how good they are!!!

awofinden

« Reply #16 on: September 29, 2006, 09:27:22 am »

I totally agree with you, as an assistant I assisted a guy with Rollei 6008's and he needed 3 of them to have one working all the time, they were a bit of a joke, though they were beautifull. I never saw a mamiya break down, plasticy, a bit ugly maybe but they work, carry on working and work well. And those lenses are pretty much the best, if they had a few german words on the side and looked like they were made out of metal you'd never hear the end of how great they are. There sharp and have great contrast charecteristics. I too don't know why people are raving about the new rollei, they are just making a camera that mamiya has had on the market for i don't know how many years. Also with the mamiya you know your getting a camera thats been through quite a few iterations to perfect it. I'm certainly not staking my job on a camera that hasn't been out for at least a year to get the problems ironed out. If you don't need fast synch then the mamiya is the obvious choice. Now the marketing of the company, thats a different story.

heinrichvoelkel

« Reply #17 on: September 29, 2006, 09:35:38 pm »

I dont understand what you guys talk about.

I use my 6008 almost daily on assignments outside the studio for feature, editorial and photojournalistic work. It never failed on me. Not even in 25 °Celcius below zero.

The Mamiya RZ broke down every now and then, but usually in the mid of an assignement.

JBM

• http://
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2006, 08:08:04 pm »

I admire Mamiya for its initiative. They risked alot in order to launch the ZD & dback and from reading the meager accounts the product seems to have some traction. I sent a letter to the MAC group president asking for some information about the US launch and have been doing some research into Cosmos in Japan. What I'm hoping to find is some indication that this isn't going to end with a whimper. I wish the trade press in NA was a little more proactive. We could sure use some critical light on this matter. I'm getting pretty tired of the speculation, rumour and innuendo. Nevertheless, I've read CIPA's 2007 forecast for M & LF export shipments and am amazed that the ZD even made it past the "proof of concept" stage. I firmly believe that higher ZD sales would do wonders to recruit more eyeballs for the MF market.  

JBM

WillyV.

« Reply #19 on: October 01, 2006, 02:35:53 pm »

[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=78205\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

Hi, Mamiya has been speaking about a 26mm at last PhotoKina but now they´re bringing out a 28mm. It will be availeble 1Q 2007 and the same with the new zoom.
Pages: [1]   Go Up