Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Hasselblad firmware 1.20 for H6D and X1D  (Read 3108 times)

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
New Hasselblad firmware 1.20 for H6D and X1D
« on: December 19, 2017, 11:11:18 pm »

Courtesy of firmware 1.20 a miracle has happened... 18 months after the announcement of the H6D-100c, the camera is now able to write simultaneously to both cards in back up mode.

Hallelujah!

Now we just need auto-WB and auto-ISO.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

SrMi

Re: New Hasselblad firmware 1.20 for H6D and X1D
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 12:14:30 am »

Courtesy of firmware 1.20 a miracle has happened... 18 months after the announcement of the H6D-100c, the camera is now able to write simultaneously to both cards in back up mode.

Hallelujah!

Now we just need auto-WB and auto-ISO.  ;D

Cheers,
Bernard

X1D has Auto-WB and Auto-ISO. Still missing Auto-ISO in M mode.

andre_m

• andré muehling
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2017, 09:31:20 am »

They also announced an XPan Lens Adapter for the X System.

André

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
andremuehling.de

BAB

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2017, 06:50:20 pm »

Can you see the exposure scale in live view on you H6D-100c? The one in the lower left corner?
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

rem

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 04:23:10 am »

No, I can't. Maybe it's a picture from the X1D (because of the "Auto" left from the ISO's).
Rem

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 02:49:12 pm »

No, I can't. Maybe it's a picture from the X1D (because of the "Auto" left from the ISO's).
Rem

Neither can I.  Yep! I guess it is from the X1D.  No exposure scale or auto ISO on my H6D-100C.  Got all excited over nothing.
David Watson ARPS

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
X1D HC lens AF limitations?
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2017, 04:25:17 pm »

From the announcement: "Hasselblad is pleased to also announce contrast autofocus compatibility using the XH lens adapter with a select group of HC/HCD lenses."

" *works now with following lenses:
HCD 4/28mm
HC 3,5/35mm
HC 3,5/50 mm
HC 3,5/50 mm II
HC 2,8/80 mm
HC 2,2/100mm"

Is this the complete list of HC and HCD lenses that will be supported, or is this just a down payment on the AF abilities  that they talked about when they came out with the adapter?

Also from the announcement: "The lenses need to be upgraded to lens firmware version 19.0.2"

Are there any lenses on the list that, because of their age, cannot have their FW upgraded to 19.0.2?

If that's case, as I think it is, are people who own those lenses out in the cold forever, or just until a subsequent FW release?

I've asked Eric P. to weigh in at another forum, but haven't heard from him.

Thanks,

Jim
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 04:28:20 pm by Jim Kasson »

BAB

« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2017, 04:50:13 pm »

The exposure scale in the H6D-100c manual is a mistake for the moment it only appears on the X1D not sure if it will ever appear on the H6D.
And yes it would be great to get excited about a new feature!

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Chris Livsey

Re: X1D HC lens AF limitations?
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2017, 05:24:30 pm »

Also from the announcement: "The lenses need to be upgraded to lens firmware version 19.0.2"

Are there any lenses on the list that, because of their age, cannot have their FW upgraded to 19.0.2?

Thanks,

Jim

It is reported that the cut-off for lens firmware updates is 2013 manufacture onwards (I assume that may not be precise and is really on actual serial number as I hardly see production changing on the stroke of the year change but you never know) this is due to the earlier EPROM being reported as "not large enough" to support the firmware required. Whether retro fitting would ever be an option has not been AFAIK discussed openly.

So in your list the "earlier" lenses 50mm Mk1, 35mm, 100mm and 80mm will all have examples prior to that year, maybe more before than after.
The 50mm MkII was announced at Photokina 2010 and I think the HCD 28mm was launched with the H3D at Photokina 2006 so both again could be affected.
I think the answer to the question is yes all those lenses you list may be affected due to age unless an EPROM swop is envisaged, however given the obfuscation from Hasselblad over fitting the new shutter to old lenses I think breath holding is inadvisable.

Out of interest:  At launch, in late November 2002, there were four lenses:

HC 35mm f/3.5
HC 80mm f/2.8
HC150mm f/3.2
HC 50-110mm f/3.5-f/4.5 zoom
And 1.7X extender

In mid-2003 three more lenses:

HC 50mm f/3.5
HC 120mm f/4
HC 210mm f/4

I am not sure when the HC 100mm f/2.2 and HC 300mm f/3.5 were launched maybe 2004.
Then:

HCD 28 (2006)
HC 150-N (2007)
HCD 35-90 and HTS (2008)
HC 50-II and HC 120-II (2010)
HCD 24 (2012)

So for the earliest lenses 10-11 years worth of sales to 2013 and 4 years of sales since the upgrade cut-off, that's a lot of lenses "left out in the cold".

« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 05:34:14 pm by Chris Livsey »

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2017, 07:30:05 pm »

It is reported that the cut-off for lens firmware updates is 2013 manufacture onwards (I assume that may not be precise and is really on actual serial number as I hardly see production changing on the stroke of the year change but you never know) this is due to the earlier EPROM being reported as "not large enough" to support the firmware required. Whether retro fitting would ever be an option has not been AFAIK discussed openly.

So in your list the "earlier" lenses 50mm Mk1, 35mm, 100mm and 80mm will all have examples prior to that year, maybe more before than after.
The 50mm MkII was announced at Photokina 2010 and I think the HCD 28mm was launched with the H3D at Photokina 2006 so both again could be affected.
I think the answer to the question is yes all those lenses you list may be affected due to age unless an EPROM swop is envisaged, however given the obfuscation from Hasselblad over fitting the new shutter to old lenses I think breath holding is inadvisable.

Out of interest:  At launch, in late November 2002, there were four lenses:

HC 35mm f/3.5
HC 80mm f/2.8
HC150mm f/3.2
HC 50-110mm f/3.5-f/4.5 zoom
And 1.7X extender

In mid-2003 three more lenses:

HC 50mm f/3.5
HC 120mm f/4
HC 210mm f/4

I am not sure when the HC 100mm f/2.2 and HC 300mm f/3.5 were launched maybe 2004.
Then:

HCD 28 (2006)
HC 150-N (2007)
HCD 35-90 and HTS (2008)
HC 50-II and HC 120-II (2010)
HCD 24 (2012)

So for the earliest lenses 10-11 years worth of sales to 2013 and 4 years of sales since the upgrade cut-off, that's a lot of lenses "left out in the cold".

If that's the way it's going to be going forward, I can see quite a few upset people. I debated between the X1D and the GFX before deciding on the GFX. One of the things that made the X1D a contender in my mind was AF on HS lenses, since I had a whole bunch of them. I am now even gladder I went with the GFX. If the decision had gone the other way, I might be seeing red. OTOH, my HC lenses didn't do well on the 33x44 mm sensor, and I sold them all rather than try to use them on the GFX.

Did Hasselblad write up the ins and outs of this somewhere?

Jim

Chris Livsey

« Reply #10 on: December 22, 2017, 04:06:41 am »

Did Hasselblad write up the ins and outs of this somewhere?

Jim

The new version of the X1-D handbook expands a little and I can, from that, clarify the cut off date of 2013 which as I suspected was a broad brush, they now state:

Currently the X1D Camera supports the XH Lens Adapter with
Auto Focus for the following lenses:
HCD28, HC35, HC50, HC50-II, HC80 and HC100 mm.
● AF with the lenses above, requires lens firmware 19.0.2
or later.
Only HC/HCD lenses with firmware 18.0.0 or later can be
updated for AF functionality.

● AF support for additional lenses (with other focal lengths)
is planned for a future firmware release.
● AF is not possible when using Converter and Extension
Tubes.
Which is odd as they do enable AF on the H series and have therefore full electric contact.

There is also this:MACRO CONVERTER H
(3023720)
The Macro Converter H is mounted between the XH Lens
Adapter and the HC Lens and is designed to improve the
close range performance of wide angle H system lenses. It is
primarily intended for use with the HC 50-II lens for optimum
performance. The range produced is similar to the use of a 6.6
mm extension tube but the performance is noticeably improved.

Which should probably be a flag for HC performance on the X1-D

hubell

« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2017, 10:27:39 am »

I was well aware of the fact that the 8 HC lenses I own would NOT provide AF with my X1D, because all of my HC lenses were too old (with the possible exception of my HC 50mm-II). I can't recall exactly where and when I learned of this limitation, but I surely knew by the time I purchased the XH Adapter in July. I don't think this information was ever clearly and widely communicated by Hasselblad. As an actual owner of an X1D (as opposed to someone who just loves a good rant about anything negative about the X1D, and for that purpose, I highly recommend DP Review), I can't say I am upset by my inability to AF with my HC lenses. The optical quality of the XCD lenses is so good and the form factor so appropriate for the X1D body that I would never turn to an HC lens in my collection except as a stopgap measure to fill in a focal length, which is why I only use the HC 210mm and the HC 300mm lenses with the X1D. I wouldn't use AF with those lenses in any event. However, I sure can understand how an X1D owner would be quite upset if he had gone out and purchased an HC lens in the expectation that it would AF with the firmware update.

Jim Kasson

• The Last Word
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 11:42:46 am »

The new version of the X1-D handbook expands a little and I can, from that, clarify the cut off date of 2013 which as I suspected was a broad brush, they now state:

Currently the X1D Camera supports the XH Lens Adapter with
Auto Focus for the following lenses:
HCD28, HC35, HC50, HC50-II, HC80 and HC100 mm.
● AF with the lenses above, requires lens firmware 19.0.2
or later.
Only HC/HCD lenses with firmware 18.0.0 or later can be
updated for AF functionality.

● AF support for additional lenses (with other focal lengths)
is planned for a future firmware release.
● AF is not possible when using Converter and Extension
Tubes.
Which is odd as they do enable AF on the H series and have therefore full electric contact.

Thanks, Chris. Here's the link if people want to see the whole manual:

https://cdn.hasselblad.com/manuals/x1d/current/en.pdf

It looks like they are leaving the possibility that there will be more lenses supported (and maybe older versions of the same lenses) in the future.

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up