Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Self portrait 1973  (Read 3717 times)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Self portrait 1973
« Reply #20 on: December 24, 2017, 04:49:59 pm »

I always liked a lot of space around me in the dark, where I knew exactly where I'd put everything .

Rob

It was Darkroom work that enabled me to loose my fear of the dark...I was afflicted with that issue since I was a young child.The Darkroom came along when I reached the age of 11. Now I don't fear the dark, only the things that can easily go bad at night.

Peter

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #21 on: December 24, 2017, 04:54:03 pm »

I agree, Peter. I remember the first time I saw that magical print come up in the developer. It always was magic, partly because the print was like a birth. It presented itself a bit at a time. With digital the print is full-born at first sight. I can live with that, but some of the magic is gone.

Russ,
That's the magic I miss... the faint image slowly evolving into a dream fulfilled picture.

Peter

Rob C

« Reply #22 on: December 24, 2017, 05:14:03 pm »

It was Darkroom work that enabled me to loose my fear of the dark...I was afflicted with that issue since I was a young child.The Darkroom came along when I reached the age of 11. Now I don't fear the dark, only the things that can easily go bad at night.

Peter

The things that can go bad at night are legion!

I don't think I've ever had a seriously developed fear of the dark, only of the crimes that can be done under cover of the night. What I do have, and hadn't realised it until driving through France once and stopping off to pee in a forest out in the middle of nowhere, was that I hate forests. The car and wife were what - forty feet away at the roadside? - yet the absolute silence, the impossibility of seeing more than another thirty feet ahead was awful. I knew that if I turned around and forgot my bearings, I'd never get out of that damned place sane, or perhaps at all.

I don't remember now if I had or had not already seen the Blair Witch Project. Probably not. If I had, I'd probably have hung on up to the next little town and bar!

Rob
« Last Edit: December 25, 2017, 06:48:32 am by Rob C »

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #23 on: December 24, 2017, 05:36:00 pm »

I remember the first time I saw that magical print come up in the developer. It always was magic, partly because the print was like a birth. It presented itself a bit at a time. With digital the print is full-born at first sight. I can live with that, but some of the magic is gone.
I have sometimes wished for a button in the Lightroom Develop Module which, when pressed, would show a blank white screen, and then gradually fade in the image over a period of at least two minutes, just to get the sense of magic back. Alas!

Yes, printing was magic. Developing film was just boring.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #24 on: December 25, 2017, 06:53:04 am »

I have sometimes wished for a button in the Lightroom Develop Module which, when pressed, would show a blank white screen, and then gradually fade in the image over a period of at least two minutes, just to get the sense of magic back. Alas!

Yes, printing was magic. Developing film was just boring.

Eric

Think of the panic and frustration if there's no Stop! button when it looks just right! Not that I've "had" one - in any sense of that word - but this concept reminds me of inflatable dolls. Big ones.

Don't invest. In the tech thing, I mean.

Rob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up