Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Canon PRO-1 printer and Matte paper...  (Read 1121 times)

AS1

Canon PRO-1 printer and Matte paper...
« on: December 17, 2017, 04:30:45 pm »

Hi,
I have a Canon Pro-1 printer and (as you know if familiar with this printer) when printing on "Fine Art" type matte papers (Rag, Premium Fine Art Smooth etc) Canon imposes either 30 or 35mm borders, and I can't find a way to set my own borders and paper size.
My question is, how will it affect the printing if I instead, select "Matt Photo Paper" from the Photo Paper menu (instead of Fine Art Paper menu)?
Thanks for any input!

Alan.

Pete Berry

Re: Canon PRO-1 printer and Matte paper...
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2017, 12:10:53 am »

An old Canon media problem - same in my iPF5100. I used "Premium Matte Paper" media type, which worked with cassette, top single feed, and roll. I doubt if you will see any significant difference in output using this or your "Matte Photo Paper" setting or the above.

Pete

pikeys

• My Pics
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2017, 10:06:22 am »

An old Canon media problem - same in my iPF5100. I used "Premium Matte Paper" media type, which worked with cassette, top single feed, and roll. I doubt if you will see any significant difference in output using this or your "Matte Photo Paper" setting or the above.

Pete

+1 ,I use the exact same setting,most of my smaller prints are 8X10 ,so this makes live a little easier.
If you using a thick fine art matte paper,you can lightly roll it up the night before so,you will not get any head strikes
Also,in your driver,there is a setting in the maintenance tab .."prevent paper abrasion",just put a check mark in there.

Mike

AS1

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 11:53:39 pm »

OK, thanks for the info.
I have to say I didn't notice much difference between the "Fine Art" and "Photo Paper Matte" setting. Do you think it's possible the printer lays down less ink when it's not an "Art" paper (in theory a heavier paper...?). I'll do more testing and see if the blacks look denser in "Art" paper mode.

Alan.

Simon J.A. Simpson

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2017, 04:25:51 pm »

I have found that the 'Fine Art' setting gives slightly denser blacks and improved image contrast over the matte paper setting.

There is a cheat you can use, and that is to select a gloss or lustre paper and print using this.  I successfully used this on a Canon Pro9000 but I have yet to test it on my PRO-1.

But this 'workaround' comes with a warning.  I understand that Canon set this margin as they are concerned that lading an 'art' paper with a lot of ink close to the edges of the paper entering and leaving the printer may cause curl resulting in head strikes.  Also the 'Fine Art' setting allows paper to be inserted into the printer manually permitting heavier weight papers.

Doug Gray

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2017, 08:55:32 pm »

I have found that the 'Fine Art' setting gives slightly denser blacks and improved image contrast over the matte paper setting.

There is a cheat you can use, and that is to select a gloss or lustre paper and print using this.  I successfully used this on a Canon Pro9000 but I have yet to test it on my PRO-1.

But this 'workaround' comes with a warning.  I understand that Canon set this margin as they are concerned that lading an 'art' paper with a lot of ink close to the edges of the paper entering and leaving the printer may cause curl resulting in head strikes.  Also the 'Fine Art' setting allows paper to be inserted into the printer manually permitting heavier weight papers.

I've found this to be true as well on my 9800 with Canson rag photographique. It also produces a more smooth gradient over neutrals and the profiles are better with fewer patches.
Pages: [1]   Go Up