Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Used Epson p800 in my area  (Read 3946 times)

Pete JF

Used Epson p800 in my area
« on: December 16, 2017, 08:49:08 pm »

hi all..

My old 7800 bit the dust pretty hard..and I'm back in the market..

I'd like a 24 inch printer again but a p800 appeared in my area and it should suit me for a while

The guy is asking 750 for it and says the log indicates 250 prints made on the machine,,sounds about right..right?

Should i try to offer a bit lower given I'll be replacing ink pretty soon? it's been listed for 30 days or so..

I have no idea if this printer comes with full sized ink carts when purchased new..no reference on those ink levels..

Also..

how are the canned Epson paper profiles for this machine?

Other paper companies making good profiles?

Any preferences on papers..I like the more subtle air dried gloss looks..

I dont use matte papers much but that's more of a function of the fact that the 7800 required an ink change..

Anyhow..any and all tips appreciated..thanks

pic of ink levels attached..ty

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 08:56:14 pm by Pete JF »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: Used Epson p800 in my area
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2017, 09:12:12 pm »

The new printers come with 64ml cartridges, rather than 80 ml for the replacement cartridges, so to interpret the ink remaining you need to find out which cartridges are from the initial set and which the seller replaced.

There is no user accessible print log in that machine. Ask him what he means by the "log".

Epson's canned profiles are pretty good.

Other paper companies do make good profiles too. Depends.

This printer also requires ink switching when moving between matte and gloss-type papers.

Do careful homework on the usage pattern of the printer and before you buy it make sure all the nozzles are firing and all the mechanicals are working properly. Ask whether it has been repaired or exchanged. Ask why he is selling it. The usual stuff.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

Pete JF

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2017, 09:21:45 pm »

Thanks, Mark,

Ugh..thought this machine had both black carts installed and ready to go..So it requires me to install the different black cart and bleed out the old black ink from lines?

Does this deplete the other inks as well?

Farmer

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2017, 10:11:39 pm »

No, both blacks are installed but share a single channel, so the printer switches between them as required.  The switch is close to the print head, so you're not bleeding an entire line but it does take a few ml of ink to do the change.  So don't print 5 matte and 5 gloss by alternating between them - do 5 of one and then 5 of the other where you can.  Compared to your overall costs (media, capital expenditure on the printer and camera gear, and time), the cost of ink and or ink changes is a relatively very small amount over the total prints you'll make.
Phil Brown

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2017, 12:02:38 am »

Phil answered your first question and by implication the second.

But for absolute clarity - the answer to your second question is also "No". The MK/PK exchange does not affect any other colours at all.

Pete JF

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 08:34:13 am »

thanks Frmer and Mark!

Great..at least I'm not swapping carts.

and after your post i did my diligence and went looking for all the tech info...as i should have..bad, lazy boy.

going to have a look later today..

Question..

Is there a resource around(like Eric Chan's old site) that has a good set of guidelines for settings in the newer /latest drivers?

I've been so comfortable using my 7800 for so long and i know for sure that the color management and 'print' setups have changed in all these years.

thanks!

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2017, 10:20:46 am »

You'll get a good start with the printer manual. The Camera to Print video tutorials on this website are also an excellent resource. Actually, the main choices that need to be made in the driver have not changed much despite changes in design and new printer features.

unesco

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2017, 01:09:07 pm »

Is there a resource around(like Eric Chan's old site) that has a good set of guidelines for settings in the newer /latest drivers?
I've been so comfortable using my 7800 for so long and i know for sure that the color management and 'print' setups have changed in all these years.
I haven't met P800 dedicated webs as interesting as for x800/x880 printers in older times.

HD inkset and new screening algorithms on SureColor behaves differently than K3, are more "agressive", whatever it means. Probably because new blacks, but LK and LLK are also different in density. So, you might face new experience after your 7800.

I do a lot of B&W and it is harder for me to design proper image rendering on paper with ICC's or RIP curves for P800 than for 3880 which I also use. There are still some renderings from 3880 I cannot repeat on P800 - I am going to keep my 3880 working as long as possible.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2017, 01:45:57 pm »

I haven't met P800 dedicated webs as interesting as for x800/x880 printers in older times.

HD inkset and new screening algorithms on SureColor behaves differently than K3, are more "agressive", whatever it means. Probably because new blacks, but LK and LLK are also different in density. So, you might face new experience after your 7800.

I do a lot of B&W and it is harder for me to design proper image rendering on paper with ICC's or RIP curves for P800 than for 3880 which I also use. There are still some renderings from 3880 I cannot repeat on P800 - I am going to keep my 3880 working as long as possible.

The P800 has superior Maximum Black compared with the previous models, and in principle I would think you should be able to achieve excellent tonal control with the P800 using custom profiles, or canned profiles for this printer and of course careful luminance editing. I'm surprised you would be less satisfied with the P800 given the improved dynamic range and the remaining possibility to exercise good control over shadow detail, etc. Of course much depends on the details of what you mean by "proper image rendering".

unesco

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2017, 02:41:14 pm »

The P800 has superior Maximum Black compared with the previous models, and in principle I would think you should be able to achieve excellent tonal control with the P800 using custom profiles, or canned profiles for this printer and of course careful luminance editing. I'm surprised you would be less satisfied with the P800 given the improved dynamic range and the remaining possibility to exercise good control over shadow detail, etc. Of course much depends on the details of what you mean by "proper image rendering".

well, I am very satisfied with my P800, just wanted to say, that it is different than K3 printers, behaves differently, sometimes better, sometimes worse than 3880

I really like MK density, now with simple matt papers we can achieve black densities reserved earlier only for Epson Hot/Cold Press papers on K3.

I like PK density, but not its look - it looks like oily tar when light is reflected where pure PK ink is used with evident border from lighter tones, it spoils some prints on barytas. Although, K3 PK is not that dark, I often prefer it with my 3880 over P800.

MK behaves better on "waxed" fine art, like HM PR Satin or Solution Bright White Satin, it does not smudge under your ones finger as happens with K3 MK even after several days

however, MK behaves differently in max density area. For K3 or K7 (Piezography), curves for L close to 0 area could consist of several ink tones with different proportions (mostly MK, but also LK or even some LLK). It is not recommended with P800 MK HD, since black density goes down when black ink is mixed with some lighter tones. etc etc just different printers.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2017, 03:21:40 pm »

Interesting, not doubting what you observe, but speaking personally I've never observed an oily tar look in any B&W work I've done with the P800, nor have I noticed discontinuities in the deep quarter tones. I'm wondering whether you are having profile/Media Type issues. Sounds like too much ink laydown in the deepest quartertones.

Pete JF

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2017, 06:14:04 am »

I went and tested the printer and chatted the seller up..bought it,.. all good. Original carts in place, plenty of ink onboard. Got him down to 700 and felt very good about the deal..

Printer's great, very quiet..prints made so far look great..Thanks for all the help.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2017, 07:55:38 am »

I went and tested the printer and chatted the seller up..bought it,.. all good. Original carts in place, plenty of ink onboard. Got him down to 700 and felt very good about the deal..

Printer's great, very quiet..prints made so far look great..Thanks for all the help.

You are welcome. Glad it worked out for you.

Pete JF

« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2017, 06:55:26 pm »

Quick observation: The Fine art feed system on this printer feels very kludgy..

I'm finding that whole process feels like clumsy steps..and that the paper doesn't always go in easily..im finding that I have to sorta fish it around to get it in far enough..

Maybe I'm jumping a step? I've made 5 or 6 prints in this mode and i haven't gotten a feel for this..which is unusual

and then i have to remember to 're-close' the feeder tray in the front after loading..

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 20, 2017, 07:13:54 pm »

You're right - it can be "kludgy" - but there is a very simple workaround: load the paper from the rear roll feeder inlet rather than the Front Fine Art. Except for loading from the back, it's the same paper path, and same procedure. Keep the paper face-up.

pamelavlcek

« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2017, 04:52:54 pm »

You're right - it can be "kludgy" - but there is a very simple workaround: load the paper from the rear roll feeder inlet rather than the Front Fine Art. Except for loading from the back, it's the same paper path, and same procedure. Keep the paper face-up.
Hmmm I have been avoiding buying the p800 because of my struggles with the p600 and the front loading...in your opinion do you think the p800 is better on art paper than the Canon pro-1000 I'm also looking at?

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 06:39:04 pm »

Hmmm I have been avoiding buying the p800 because of my struggles with the p600 and the front loading...in your opinion do you think the p800 is better on art paper than the Canon pro-1000 I'm also looking at?

My views on both printers are in my reviews on this website. I would also encourage you to read Keith Cooper's reviews on his website "Northlight Images" as we each emphasize different aspects, so between the two you get a well-rounded overview of each printer. Both printers make excellent prints, but there are differences in the feature sets and some technical variables, discoverable by reading the reviews.

pamelavlcek

« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2017, 06:46:01 pm »

My views on both printers are in my reviews on this website. I would also encourage you to read Keith Cooper's reviews on his website "Northlight Images" as we each emphasize different aspects, so between the two you get a well-rounded overview of each printer. Both printers make excellent prints, but there are differences in the feature sets and some technical variables, discoverable by reading the reviews.

Thanks so much...your tip about feeding via the roll feeder lets me consider Epson again...never used anything but until the front feeder hassle...will check out your reviews...Northlight Images is why I bought the pro-1 to begin with...however I see they have added to the review stating that it's blacks on art paper aren't the best...too late for me...once again thanks....

ChrisMax

« Reply #18 on: December 24, 2017, 08:38:14 pm »

Got my P800 refurbished from Epson for $750 with a full warranty and 80ml ink cartridges

pamelavlcek

« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2017, 09:11:26 pm »

Got my P800 refurbished from Epson for $750 with a full warranty and 80ml ink cartridges

It's out of stock at the moment
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up