Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Honest Opinion  (Read 2101 times)

stevieisballer

Honest Opinion
« on: December 10, 2017, 08:54:10 am »

Hello everyone,
I would like to hear y’alls honest opinion on my photo below?  It snowed in Georgia so I took advantage of it to practice shooting in the snow since I am going out west for Christmas.  Feel free to say anything if you think it is terrible.

tom b

• http://tombrown.id.au
Re: Honest Opinion
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 09:11:32 am »

The red leaves are the centre of attraction in the image and yet they are out of focus. Sadly you missed the selling point of your image.

A learning lesson,
Tom Brown

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 10:33:39 am »

Thats a very hard scene to photograph, since there are so many things it's hard to organize them visually. The bare trees in the background are very, very uneven, hard to show anything against this background. I, too, don't know really, what is the "main subject", if there's any. What was it what your attention was drawn to when you photographed this? The path? The tilted tree? The light on the right side? The colored leaves? Or something else?

stevieisballer

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 10:47:16 am »

Thats a very hard scene to photograph, since there are so many things it's hard to organize them visually. The bare trees in the background are very, very uneven, hard to show anything against this background. I, too, don't know really, what is the "main subject", if there's any. What was it what your attention was drawn to when you photographed this? The path? The tilted tree? The light on the right side? The colored leaves? Or something else?

When I walked up to this scene I immediately noticed the 4 curving trees that kind of roll over the path.  It is a hard scene to capture because it is so busy.  I think it may have created a better composition if I focused in on one of the trees.  Thank you for your insight.

Alskoj

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 10:54:24 am »

Just the fact that there's snow in the south is pretty cool!  Where are you going out west?

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 10:56:23 am »

When I walked up to this scene I immediately noticed the 4 curving trees that kind of roll over the path.  It is a hard scene to capture because it is so busy.  I think it may have created a better composition if I focused in on one of the trees.  Thank you for your insight.

These kind of scenes are best observed in less than normal daylight. While snowing, fog and rain etc... creates a natural veil of diffusion
to enhance depth by eliminating much of the over crowded scene. Don't give up on the subject. Look for various conditions to sculpt the scene.

Peter

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 11:15:37 am »

I see. As Peter said, in fog or when it snows this might work pretty good. I know it's a very different thing, but also it might be a subject one can try at night and lightpaint what's important. Sure very different, but such things re fun, too. (Doing it to seldom, myself ...)

stevieisballer

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2017, 01:44:57 pm »

Just the fact that there's snow in the south is pretty cool!  Where are you going out west?

Park’s City, Utah

stevieisballer

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2017, 01:45:44 pm »

Thank you everyone for your insight!

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2017, 04:43:51 pm »

Without specular highlights and/or shadows from directional lighting, snow can be fickle.

Remember, snow is about 2 stops brighter than neutral grey, yet your light meter will always try to render the scene as neutral grey, dropping the values for snow. Thus, the need for Exposure Compensation in the +1½ to 2 stop range. But check your histogram to ensure highlights aren’t being blown out.

In the image you’ve shown, an Exposure increase by that much will block up what appears to be an overcast sky, which is, perhaps, the most difficult lighting under which to shoot scenes with snow. You want to raise the snow values, but the relatively bright sky prevents it.

That’s where post-capture processing comes to the rescue. In LR, nail down the White point using Auto-White point: Shift+double-click on the word Whites and LR will simply find the brightest pixel and register it as 100%. Then, use a combination of Exposure and Highlights to raise the snow values.

It’s a fine balance. Hopefully you will get lots of sunny days in Utah where you’ll be working to prevent highlight clipping, but will have great shadows to create depth and tonal variations.

Good luck!
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

GrahamBy

• Some of my photos
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2017, 04:19:26 am »

So here's thing: I don't think there is any problem with the lighting. It reminds me of a winter MTB ride, the atmosphere is exactly right. I much prefer it to the over-saturated landscapes some people produce. It's not spectacular, but in an age when everyone seems to want to shout, that can be a good thing.

I do notice the extreme perspective from the wide lens, which makes me feel a little sea-sick, and that nothing is really either tack-sharp or clearly out of focus. The dominant element seems to be the foreground tree trunk with the snow-free leaves under it. Is that enough to make the image what you want it to be?

Rob C

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2017, 11:09:36 am »

For a start, keep the image much smaller. 10" x 10" is good enough for Michael Kenna; for the web, why go bigger than 800 pixels or so? That way nobody will have a complaint about being or not being sharp. Which really doesn't matter, anyway, because what matters is concept.

I've been running early Sopranos videos these evenings and I love the title sequences for that first series - yet to see any of the later ones so no idea if they ever changed. Nothing looks very sharp there, what with motion etc, but the thing is, it tells a story about location.

I've said this before, and I still believe it: cinematographers appear (to me) to have a far better sense of what makes a place or an atmosphere definitive. I'm not sure why this might be the case other than perhaps continuity helping them out. Or, it may be their high-level commercial needs make them work harder.

It was one of the dictums of stock photograhy: try for the definitive shot.

Rob
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 11:13:01 am by Rob C »

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2017, 01:44:44 pm »

The elements of the composition are very interesting...the shapes of the tree in foreground and the smaller wavy trees in the middle ground - and the areas of color intermixed with the stark "light and darks" of the trees and snow. Leaving a number of technical issues aside -  these elements together make for a compelling view. That said, I probably would have got a little more of the foreground toward bottom of frame) where the brownish line of leaves follows under the tree closest to viewer - a bit more of the ground.  Don't know what this file is and how much work could be done on it - but I would look at it with the contrast brought way down, and shadows brought a considerable amount up for starters. Possibly increasing saturation to bring out the "colored" elements. I think this file would require a good deal of work in post - trial and error - it's just way to harsh/choppy as it is at least in the JPEG.

Question? In the lower left quadrant there appears to be a blurred area - is this from moisture/water/snow on lens? Little bit of a problem with that I think
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 01:55:19 pm by brandtb »
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

stevieisballer

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2017, 06:15:08 pm »

Without specular highlights and/or shadows from directional lighting, snow can be fickle.

Remember, snow is about 2 stops brighter than neutral grey, yet your light meter will always try to render the scene as neutral grey, dropping the values for snow. Thus, the need for Exposure Compensation in the +1½ to 2 stop range. But check your histogram to ensure highlights aren’t being blown out.

In the image you’ve shown, an Exposure increase by that much will block up what appears to be an overcast sky, which is, perhaps, the most difficult lighting under which to shoot scenes with snow. You want to raise the snow values, but the relatively bright sky prevents it.

That’s where post-capture processing comes to the rescue. In LR, nail down the White point using Auto-White point: Shift+double-click on the word Whites and LR will simply find the brightest pixel and register it as 100%. Then, use a combination of Exposure and Highlights to raise the snow values.

It’s a fine balance. Hopefully you will get lots of sunny days in Utah where you’ll be working to prevent highlight clipping, but will have great shadows to create depth and tonal variations.

Good luck!

Thanks so much!

DougDolde

• Images of the American West
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 06:32:55 pm »

I don't find the composition interesting. It's just a jumbled mess

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 04:21:38 am »

I don't find the composition interesting. It's just a jumbled mess

Like all my own landscape attempts - long abandoned as a fight unwinnable - this shot provides a location for something else: the action between the missing people. Murder most foul comes to mind for this place, indicating to me that, as with shop windows, it's not usually what's there but that which might be... there's the perfect stage but it's empty of characters at this point.

It's always like that. Almost always. That's why there are paintings: they can be focussed by the mind of the artist.

Rob

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 09:06:57 am »

Murder most foul comes to mind for this place..
Rob

Now Rob,

Spoken like a true Mediterranean...

Peter

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 09:35:35 am »

That's why there are paintings: they can be focussed by the mind of the artist.

Rob

I agree with you, Rob. But I'd add: so can photographs be focussed by the mind of the photographer (artist), though it's obvious that that rarely happens.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 02:43:27 pm »

Now Rob,

Spoken like a true Mediterranean...

Peter

A little bit of Italy hits above its weight!

It's why I despair about the UK attitude to the European Question: they didn't have to leave, burn their boats at all - just play the game pragmatically, like all the others: agree with everything but just do what you intended to do all along. Works for the rest.

Rob
Pages: [1]   Go Up