Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Portfolio Presentations  (Read 2621 times)

ergraig

Portfolio Presentations
« on: December 09, 2017, 05:40:42 pm »

In 2018 I expect to start bringing my work around to various galleries and possibly to portfolio reviews. I'm wondering what people are doing in terms of presentation. My images are printed on 13 x 19 paper though many will be trimmed to 13 x 14 or so. I may have a custom portfolio box built or I may build one myself, not sure yet. Specifically I was wondering about matting the images. Doing so is expensive, to my mind somewhat presumptuous and makes the portfolio quite heavy to carry or ship. On the other hand, matting does protect the prints. If I matte, what about backing? Interleaving?

You can research just about every topic under the sun in the interweb but I haven't seen anything at all about this. I'm wondering what others have done.

eric
http://eric-graig.squarespace.com/

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
Re: Portfolio Presentations
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 12:37:23 pm »

In 2018 I expect to start bringing my work around to various galleries and possibly to portfolio reviews. I'm wondering what people are doing in terms of presentation. My images are printed on 13 x 19 paper though many will be trimmed to 13 x 14 or so. I may have a custom portfolio box built or I may build one myself, not sure yet. Specifically I was wondering about matting the images. Doing so is expensive, to my mind somewhat presumptuous and makes the portfolio quite heavy to carry or ship. On the other hand, matting does protect the prints. If I matte, what about backing? Interleaving?

You can research just about every topic under the sun in the interweb but I haven't seen anything at all about this. I'm wondering what others have done.

eric
http://eric-graig.squarespace.com/

I was once told by J. Walter Thompson in London that my portfolio was the heaviest they'd ever encountered. I learned my lesson. Thankfully they forgave me and gave me lots of work.

Box Brownie

• Engram Photography
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 12:51:58 pm »

I do not have a printed portfolio but my thought on the matter would be like a job application i.e. present what the customer anticipates seeing!

By that I mean based on research of the potential outlet/customer/dealer show what fits that criteria e.g. if where you expect to sell only ever displays landscapes what is the point of having architectural images in the portfolio you show them.  Having said that if the brief they are setting has asked for a specific genre only show that even that even if all your research tells you otherwise, in that circumstance they I surmise would be venturing into new areas!

In other words do not muddy the waters and of course stating the obvious show only your very best................not the "well I thought I would try something new but please realise this is work in progress".  You might need multiple portfolios depending on the venue etc

HTH maybe ;)
A collection of mine here http://500px.c

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:07:04 pm »

I did a book this year with Mullenberg Design - mullenbergdesigns.com it's amazing, they did a great job.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW-W5SNA4_A/?taken-by=douglevy

-Doug

pearlstreet

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:11:02 pm »

I did a book this year with Mullenberg Design - mullenbergdesigns.com it's amazing, they did a great job.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BW-W5SNA4_A/?taken-by=douglevy

-Doug

That's gorgeous, Doug! What paper did you use? I love your work.

JoeKitchen

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2017, 09:37:44 am »

I think it is important to mention here that all industries have a preferred method of viewing work.  You want to make sure you show your work in that preferred way otherwise whomever is viewing your work will not think of you as actually being in that industry. 

For instance, in advertising, the preferred way to view printed work is in a bound book.  If you should up to an ad firm with loose prints, they would not take you seriously.

For the fine art genre, it may be totally different though.  Actually I think loose non-matted prints is the preferred way to view work.  I am not sure here though since I am an advertising photographer, not a fine art guy.  I would suggest reaching out to well known fine art photographers who show their work often and get their take on it. 
"Photography is one percent inspiration and ninety-nine percent

douglevy

• New England Wedding Photographer Doug Levy
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 08:48:20 pm »

Thanks Sharon! We printed on Moab Lasal Matte

Joe Towner

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 04:11:34 pm »

How have folks dealt with images that tend to be larger than standard sizes?  Has anyone worked with a printer that does a fold out page?
t: @PNWMF
Pages: [1]   Go Up