Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: neutralize gray setting in i1 pro profile creation settings  (Read 2337 times)

deanwork

neutralize gray setting in i1 pro profile creation settings
« on: December 08, 2017, 12:34:08 pm »

Does anyone know the function of this neutralize gray slider in the x-rite i1 pro2 dialogue box?

It seems to have something to do with paper white? I couldn't find a clear answer.

Also I am looking for a large extended gray target to experiment with monochrome output on my Z printers while printing with X-Rite profiles.

Does anyone have one that I can try or know how that would be accomplished ?   I want to have a lot of subtle neutral gradations but also low gamut color patches in which to make  warm neutral and slightly toned prints as well .  I have no idea how many patches would be optimal.

john

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 12:37:19 pm by deanwork »

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
Re: neutralize gray setting in i1 pro profile creation settings
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 01:15:53 pm »

It's supposed to account for papers that appear 'yellowish' and thus, supposedly adjusts neutrals to appear neutral. Whether it works and how well is up to some debate. Some of the sliders in the product don't make much difference when set on either end of the slider scale. You just have to build a few profiles with differing settings and make prints.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

datro

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 01:28:32 pm »

Does anyone know the function of this neutralize gray slider in the x-rite i1 pro2 dialogue box?

John,

Checkout this thread from a few months back.

In it, Ethan Hansen made the following statement:

Neutralize gray: As Doug mentions this affects midtone through highlight neutrals. The magnitude of the effects are minimal. The only reason I can think of to place the slider at 0 is if you are profiling a strongly tinted paper and you want the highlights to be closer to neutral. Doing so, however, creates an abrupt and visually ugly transition between paper white and extreme highlights. It works for images where you are out for a very specific look but not for general purpose profiles. Leave the slider at 50.

One interesting thing I've noticed in i1Profiler is that the Neutralize Gray slider initially is set to "0" when you first enter the "Profile Settings" dialog window.  But as far as I can tell, "50" is actually the correct "default" value.  It would be nice if xRite would fix this little GUI glitch, but I guess there are bigger problems that need attention as well.

Dave

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 02:23:02 pm »

............., but I guess there are bigger problems that need attention as well.

Dave

You can say that again.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

deanwork

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 02:23:22 pm »

Thanks guys. Glad to hear that clarified. X-Rite's youtube videos are pretty much useless for advanced printing unless you are doing cymk.

Yes it would be nice if X-Rite would let you know that their default setting for the neutral slider is wrong.

F. All these years I have had it at 0 not 50.  I guess it also might depend on which printer and ink combination you are using and how "neutral" your grays are. Canon and HP pretty neutral, Epson yellowish-brown and not at all neutral.

It  would also be nice if you could do the linearization procedure  with RGB workflow ! It is only available as cmyk, and I don't really believe in the way the Canon and Epson printers linearize for the whole printer and their media settings and not each specific ( 3rd party ) media ( as HP does ), but that totally different issue.

John

John,

Checkout this thread from a few months back.

In it, Ethan Hansen made the following statement:

Neutralize gray: As Doug mentions this affects midtone through highlight neutrals. The magnitude of the effects are minimal. The only reason I can think of to place the slider at 0 is if you are profiling a strongly tinted paper and you want the highlights to be closer to neutral. Doing so, however, creates an abrupt and visually ugly transition between paper white and extreme highlights. It works for images where you are out for a very specific look but not for general purpose profiles. Leave the slider at 50.

One interesting thing I've noticed in i1Profiler is that the Neutralize Gray slider initially is set to "0" when you first enter the "Profile Settings" dialog window.  But as far as I can tell, "50" is actually the correct "default" value.  It would be nice if xRite would fix this little GUI glitch, but I guess there are bigger problems that need attention as well.

Dave

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2017, 10:12:55 am »

Many of these sliders ONLY affect the Perceptual table.....
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

Doug Gray

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2017, 02:51:47 pm »

Many of these sliders ONLY affect the Perceptual table.....

All of them under the posted "Perceptual" dialog box only affect Perceptual tables. The boxes below that (not shown) affect all tables.
Pages: [1]   Go Up