Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Editing in C1 from LR Classic CC  (Read 1393 times)

John McDermott

Editing in C1 from LR Classic CC
« on: December 07, 2017, 12:49:17 pm »

I am using LR Classic CC on Windows 10. I am evaluating C1 11. How can I round trip an image from LR, adjust it in C1, and return it to LR with adjustments intact?
John E. McDermott

IanSeward

Re: Editing in C1 from LR Classic CC
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 01:08:11 pm »

I am using LR Classic CC on Windows 10. I am evaluating C1 11. How can I round trip an image from LR, adjust it in C1, and return it to LR with adjustments intact?

I think you can use the edit in (can't remember the menu terms now - sad after using LR since V1 - sigh) but choose to export the original file.  You will get a rendered file as is usual if you use a LR plugin.  Couple of points to consider:

C1 is more like PS in the way it works. I like the colours of C1pro but it is the ease and speed with which I can get an image edited to my liking coupled with the customisable interface which allows me to optimise my workflow that made me switch from LR to C1.  It did take me some time for me to fully appreciate what having a customisable interface means as coming from nearly 10 years of PS/LR the concept was simply alien to me.  So, you can customise the UI?  What do you change? 

The difficulty is that you need to be fully familiar with the controls in C1 in order to be able to decide what controls to place where and why.  There are many controls that are simply not in LR or work in different ways.  levels, curves (luma and RGB), clarity (different types), structure, layers, very extensive colour controls, a dedicated skin tools tab, masks from colour selections etc.  However, although these extensive controls initially make it difficult to get to grips with C1 they also are the reason you can get the results you want quickly.

Ian
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 01:11:56 pm by IanSeward »

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 10:43:13 pm »

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but...  I'm thinking you may want to at least do some basic exposure settings in LR first, if doing this.  I just double-checked with a DNG and LR won't allow 'edit in' to send along a copy of the original raw via that method.  (An issue of contention from another thread.)  So doing some basic exposure edits in LR may ensure that the most useful data is incorporated into the psd/tiff that LR sends along to C1.  Say, for instance, you sent along a copy where the sky was a bit blown due to ETTR..  If you sent that straight into C1, the tiff/psd may not contain all the info you'd prefer for C1 to be able to adjust.
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

myotis

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 04:44:20 am »

I don't do it like this anymore, some of the details may be not be exactly correct, but...

You need to use a session based workflow in Capture One.  If you create a dummy session in Capture One (this is a new session, but with nothing imported into it), then leave this session open ( the dummy session I created was called "C1-editor")

Assuming Windows allows you to right click on an image in LR and open the file in Explorer, you can then drag the raw file into the C1 icon where it will open in the running dummy session. After editing you can save or export from C1 as a TIF back into the folder where the original raw file lives, where it can be catalogued by LR.

John Beardsworth's Open Directly is also useful for this http://lightroomsolutions.com/plug-ins/open-directly/

Disadvantages are that C1 works at a folder level, so although the file you want to edit appears in the C1 editing Window, all the files from the same folder appear in the C1 thumbnail view. It doesn't actually matter, but its a bit disconcerting.

And because you never actually import the file into C1, just work on a virtual copy, you can't then round trip from C1 to PS.

There is a video on using LR and C1 here   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6LwKaNo4ks&t=2085s

Its version 8 of Capture One, but I suspect much will be the same.

As I said, I don't do this now, (having abandoned both Media Pro and C1 catalogues and gone back to lR for cataloguing), I now create proper sessions with C1 and use the LR publish services feature to export raw files from LR into the appropriate session capture folder, where C1 automatically recognises it.  I have several C1 sessions, and a different publish service folder in LR for each of my different C1 sessions. The sessions are set up by project, or specific subject e.g. Seabirds, or Cornwall seascapes etc.

I can now work with C1 and PS on my raw files and export "finals" from C1 to a "finals" folder which is then catalogued by LR, where I can take advantage of the better integration with the wider world that LR offers.

I know this duplicates the raw files, but it means that all my "important" raw files have another back up, and I have the advantage of everything related to a project/subject being kept together in a session.  The Sessions folder and the Finals folders, while backed up with everything else, both have an additional backup to a NAS, as eventually as I move everything over to this workflow, these two folder will contain everything that is really important. That's at the moment anyway.

Cheers,

Graham

Pages: [1]   Go Up