Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Calibrated Windows monitor, adjustment steps  (Read 1547 times)

Ethan Hansen

• Dry Creek Photo
Re: Calibrated Windows monitor, adjustment steps
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2017, 06:12:43 PM »

One more thing -- in the DisplayCal documentation they say that "the precision of Windows' built-in calibration loading is inferior compared to the DisplayCAL profile loader and may introduce inaccuracies and artifacts." This might also be true of other calibration loaders, I suppose.

It may, although I never saw artifacts or could measure any differences in raw screen behavior with our photoradiometer when using DisplayCal vs. the built-in Windows calibration loader. DisplayCal profiles contain the Argyll-only 'arts' tag used to specify which absolute <> relative media white point transform should be used (Bradford or wrong Von Kries). If you use an ArgyllCMS-powered application to display your images on-screen, you'll see improved accuracy when viewing sRGB or Adobe RGB images. Adobe, etc. don't support this.

Apple's Make and Model tag ('mmod') also appears, but it is not used. All data are zeroed out. I don't see any other tags that could affect LUT loading behavior that are not supported by the Windows native API.

We used DisplayCal on the occasional system (server display screens, a handful of laptops) some years back. These systems were ones without DDC support for other calibration software. I tired of the Zero Install stuff running in the background and dumped the DisplayCal loader. That's when I checked for any differences between using Windows and DisplayCal to load the calibrations. If anyone out there has other experiences, please let me know.

Side note: I don't think we currently have any monitors calibrated with DisplayCal. We dumped older systems and i1P supports DDC on many mainstream panels, giving superior results to DisplayCal.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up