Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Olympus macro lens question  (Read 141 times)

Trevor Murgatroyd

Olympus macro lens question
« on: December 06, 2017, 05:25:11 PM »

I am planning to do more macro photography. I do not have a macro lens, and am wondering if I need one. I use the Olympus OMD EM5 II (micro 4/3, crop factor 2) camera and have the Olympus 12-100 f4, 40-150 f2.8, and 12-40 f2.8 Pro lenses (mm doubled, of course, for 35mm equivalent). These lenses are very sharp and have quite short closest focusing distances.

Given that the lenses I have allow me to fill the frame with a sharp image of a small object even though they are not 1:1, I am not sure what additional benefit I would get from a true macro lens such as the Olympus 60mm f2.8. Is there something special about true macro lenses that I do not yet understanding?

I would much appreciate an explanation,

Trevor

nma

Re: Olympus macro lens question
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 02:25:47 PM »

Trevor,

I don't claim to be an expert in this area. I have the Oly 60mm Macro Lens, 12-40 pro Zoom and several other "longer" m43 lenses. The lenses you have are excellent for close-up photography. Just guessing that they can achieve a magnification of about 0.3 life size, with good image quality and working distance. But if you want to go to life size magnification or more, you will appreciate a macro lens.  This is the most convenient route to higher magnification but there are other options, such as close-up lenses and extension tubes. The basic trade off is between cost, working distance, image quality and convenience.

I enjoy using the Oly 60mm macro, particularly with the focus bracketing features on the E-M1 and E-M5.ii

Trevor Murgatroyd

Re: Olympus macro lens question
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:11:04 PM »

Many thanks for your response. Now I can agree with you because I was unable to resist the temptation to buy the 60mm macro lens and I played with it yesterday. It does indeed get me much closer and gives a much higher level of magnification that will be crucial for some of the images I am thinking of. It is also a nice portrait lens.
Pages: [1]   Go Up