Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: doubt on Resolve export settings  (Read 5052 times)

fredjeang2

doubt on Resolve export settings
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:02:43 am »

Using Red,
In Color
On the Camera Raw Master settings decode quality, if I let's say use 1/4 Res Good (bypassing that way my project settings which is set to max)
and then
in Deliver, Render; do I have to "tell" Resolve to use the maximum debayer resolution in the option "Force debayer resolution to highest quality"?
or Resolve always takes the source material to its full res anyway in what render is concerned independently on the decode quality that was set in Raw Master?

For what I'm seeing, I have to "force Resolve" to set the max debayer quality on Render.
The problem I see is that sometimes I want to downgrade the debayer for performance playback. But then it's easy to forget to switch that back on Render.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 08:32:07 am by fredjeang2 »

bcooter

Re: doubt on Resolve export settings
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 03:49:56 pm »

Using Red,
In Color
On the Camera Raw Master settings decode quality, if I let's say use 1/4 Res Good (bypassing that way my project settings which is set to max)
and then
in Deliver, Render; do I have to "tell" Resolve to use the maximum debayer resolution in the option "Force debayer resolution to highest quality"?
or Resolve always takes the source material to its full res anyway in what render is concerned independently on the decode quality that was set in Raw Master?

For what I'm seeing, I have to "force Resolve" to set the max debayer quality on Render.
The problem I see is that sometimes I want to downgrade the debayer for performance playback. But then it's easy to forget to switch that back on Render.

Nothing like a printed piece of paper.    As you know working in motion is like walking into the black hole of time and the hours can be huge and we all get tired.

What I do is first, test different files under different settings, utpt them, preview them and look very much at the quality, play speed, etc.

Once I have what works I screen shot the settings, print it out, put the printouts next to a check list and in setup, ingest, grading and output make sure I have checked off all settings.

If it’s a long, long day, I will usually catch something I didn’t click.

It’s funny if you go on the web looking for the answer to your question, you’ll get about 5 different answers, that’s why I test a few clips first get my settings and still recheck during the process.

IMO

BC

« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:22:17 pm by bcooter »

fredjeang2

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 05:51:37 pm »

Nothing like a printed piece of paper.    As you know working in motion is like walking into the black hole of time and the hours can be huge and we all get tired.

What I do is first, test different files under different settings, utpt them, preview them and look very much at the quality, play speed, etc.

Once I have what works I screen shot the settings, print it out, put the printouts next to a check list and in setup, ingest, grading and output make sure I have checked off all settings.

If it’s a long, long day, I will usually catch something I didn’t click.

It’s funny if you go on the web looking for the answer to your question, you’ll get about 5 different answers, that’s why I test a few clips first get my settings and still recheck during the process.

IMO

BC

Lol!
The postprod blackhole...spaghettification!
Ps: I adopt the screenshots of settings idea.
Ps2: attachement, me doing renders
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 05:55:30 pm by fredjeang2 »

fredjeang2

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 06:51:56 am »

As you know working in motion is like walking into the black hole of time
BC

I discovered a weired behaviour in Resolve on QT export for the web.

If you choose the MPEG4 Video Codec and put the video/data level on Auto, the results are as expected.
in fact Auto chooses video level.
If you forced the MPEG4 to data level, the result looks more contrasty and saturated than the original and there is a lost in DR. However the look remains viewable.
With MPEG4 the setting that preserves the original is Video level (or auto)

But if you choose the H.264 Codec with video/data level on Auto, the result is a gamma shift and the footage looks washed-out and non viewable.
The cure with H.264 is simply to force video/data level to Data(4-1019) and so the footage will be back to normal.
Exactly the contrary of the MPEG4 codec.
With H264 the setting that preserves the original is Data level

As you see, this is the big mess.

Those kinds of details are irritating. For sure they might be a technical explaination an engineer would write a brilliant essay on it.

« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 07:16:21 am by fredjeang2 »

bcooter

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 04:15:58 pm »

I discovered a weired behaviour in Resolve on QT export for the web.

If you choose the MPEG4 Video Codec and put the video/data level on Auto, the results are as expected.
in fact Auto chooses video level.
If you forced the MPEG4 to data level, the result looks more contrasty and saturated than the original and there is a lost in DR. However the look remains viewable.
With MPEG4 the setting that preserves the original is Video level (or auto)

But if you choose the H.264 Codec with video/data level on Auto, the result is a gamma shift and the footage looks washed-out and non viewable.
The cure with H.264 is simply to force video/data level to Data(4-1019) and so the footage will be back to normal.
Exactly the contrary of the MPEG4 codec.
With H264 the setting that preserves the original is Data level

As you see, this is the big mess.

Those kinds of details are irritating. For sure they might be a technical explaination an engineer would write a brilliant essay on it.

Fred,  I don't see that much difference between your 4 clips.   Obviously it's there but a client won't notice.

I also set on export under the left hand pane, the video level to full.   That seems to give me the best results.

But, you nailed it.  Spaghettification.  That’s how this stuff works.  They write on top of existing systems, rarely do the makers do full tests on different machines, don’t recommend turnkey solutions like like graphics cards, operating systems and with the 12 million tutorials out there, they all make it seem easy.  That’s why I buy my computers from a company that specialize in video.

Nothing is easy in professional digital cinema, even if the screen is tiny.

I needed a new laptop for traveling.  I searched, read specs etc. etc.  Finally found a new company that specializes in configuring video machines and tests every software, every way possible.  I was going to buy a new 2017 macbookpro and they talked me into a custom configured 2015.  It has less vram than the newest, but has the fastest ssd made.

We had an hour and a half conversation, they explained why the 2015 was better and even offered to take it back at any time if I wanted to return it for a newer one.   So far it’s been amazing and will run resolve faster than the newest, because I duped the data drives, put 100 clips in resolve and in a friends 2017 machine the 2015 went through 1dxII files with motion jpeg codec (a very heavy codec) and ran through 4k red files so fast it was like working standard def and this is on a laptop running a 27” monitor and a broadcast monitor.

In fact I have a 2 year old I mac with 4 gigs of vram, 32 gigs of ram and all ssd, and the macbook pro runs equal or faster and as of the last two weeks never crashed.

But even using my screen shot, check list system, every computer I have works differently.  Don’t know why and I have 5 machines in LA, three in the Dallas studio and three in London.

The only way I know is to test files, grade them deeply and conform them.  I personally never output less than prores, or dpxhd, then down convert in wondershare for mp4 or h264 viewing on vimeo and even running 2.2 gamma out of resolve, vimeo usually lightens and flattens the file some.   

The biggest issue I have is how clients view the files as all monitors and graphic cards react differently.  The only “monitor” that seems to make everything looks great is an ipad or iphone.  Go figure.

IMO

BC

fredjeang2

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2017, 08:11:43 pm »

The biggest issue I have is how clients view the files as all monitors and graphic cards react differently.  The only “monitor” that seems to make everything looks great is an ipad or iphone.  Go figure.

Lol!
”Hammertime” !

About the phone display, I saw exactly the same.
Nobody can control how the footage will be viewed once out of the ideal environment of a studio and the differences between monitors out there, as you point, can be huge. Gamma shifts, color shifts, bits...a party!
Teevees are even worse.
However, everybody sees the same on iphones and if someone says "color looks weired in the wife's laptop", answer: "watch on the phone".

I guess a Hammer is the right tool to bang the motion imagery P.P...
« Last Edit: December 09, 2017, 03:27:29 pm by fredjeang2 »

John Brawley

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 06:19:00 pm »

and then

The decode quality and the final render debayer aren't related.

But "force" debayer gives you a small computational advantage in the debayer (which is already at full).

In truth, I've never seen much of a difference visually.

I know that many prefer the Resolve Debayer (forced or not) over the hardware debayer you get from a Red Rocket card.  So the workflow is to use a rocket for speed to grade but then turn it off when you do the final render.

JB

bcooter

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2017, 09:39:18 pm »

The decode quality and the final render debayer aren't related.

But "force" debayer gives you a small computational advantage in the debayer (which is already at full).

In truth, I've never seen much of a difference visually.

I know that many prefer the Resolve Debayer (forced or not) over the hardware debayer you get from a Red Rocket card.  So the workflow is to use a rocket for speed to grade but then turn it off when you do the final render.

JB

I agree with all you've written.   I only use my rocket cards for dailies, but for final output, I go from full to force and let the machine work it out.

I also set a 2.2 gamma for my workflow and it seems the best compromise in final output.

IMO

BC

John Brawley

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2017, 10:23:27 pm »

I only use my rocket cards for dailies, but for final output, I go from full to force and let the machine work it out.

It's been that way at the "Hollywood" end of town for many years....

JB
Pages: [1]   Go Up