Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Resolution  (Read 1855 times)

PeteCamera

Resolution
« on: September 19, 2006, 05:44:07 am »

Dear all,
I'm new to Photoshop and need a little help with resolution please. I have just read the understanding resolution articale and it made great sense - Thx Michael.
I want to print out my photos at good resolution. When I go to the image size dialogue box, the largest pixel dimensions that my camera will produce is 2576x1932. My camera is 5MP, however at the top of the image size box it states pixel dimensions 14.3M (not sure what to make of this!)
Lower down, it says document size: 90.88x68.16cm (I'm OK with this I think!!) Then it states Resolution 72 ppi. Now my 1st major query is this - should it always say 72 ppi? Is this within my camera settings or a Photoshop default? I'm asking this beacuse when Michale frist discusses this in his article - he has initiall resolution of 240 for and image of his.
When I print out, I've read that I should print at a resolution of 300. Now if I change the 72 to 300, the document size stays the same (should this be the case?) but the pixel dimensions at the top of the dialogue box increase to 10734x8050 - 247.4M
Now I know this has something to do with the resample image thingy at the bottom. (At this juncture can I apologise to experienced PS users who cannot believe my stupidity at this point!!!!!)
If I want good quality prints, what do I do? Change the resolution to 300? Leave it at 72? Check or uncheck the resample image box?
And I might as well, as I'm here, ask - In the resample image box, what do the bicubic, bilinear and nearest neighbour drop down menus mean and........what on earth is interpolation (a word I've heard banded around re. this subject but have no idea what it means!)
Again, many apologies for my ignorance, but can anyone help?
Thx, Pete

Stephen Best

Resolution
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2006, 06:36:24 am »

It's all explained in Chapter 6 of your Photoshop CS2 User Guide.

Raw shooter

Resolution
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2006, 08:42:35 am »

Pete,

Yes, just uncheck the resample image box - which will lock down the pixel dimension, while allowing you to only change the DPI/PPI.  This will simply change the pixel density for printing (from 72 to 300) - while preserving the original image resolution (pixel dimension)
Pages: [1]   Go Up