Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: X1D and USB3 thethered - not stable  (Read 1325 times)

imageindustry

X1D and USB3 thethered - not stable
« on: December 04, 2017, 03:32:36 am »

Hi everybody,

Using the X1D thethered (laptop - tethered boost cable - and original short Hasselblad USB3 cable).
This does work. But if you work for a longer time (eg 5 hours) and you have to plug in/out because
ob changing the location, the connection becomes complete unstable. That means, you have to restart
everything several times to get a connection and you only can shoot one ore two images, than
it looses the connection again. There is no difference if you use only the short original cable (i know
that uSB3 does have a limitation in lenght aprox 1,5 merters). Everything is updated.

Would be also interresting if H6D-100 user does also have similar problems, or do the have
100 % stable tethered connections, by the way.

Any ideas, thank you in advance
wkr, Eric

Rdmax

Re: X1D and USB3 thethered - not stable
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 10:21:27 am »

Phocus was a dealbreaker for me for in-studio use.

David Watson

• David Watson
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 12:43:45 pm »

I have an H6D-100C and suffered very few disconnects when tethered. Having said that I did have the problem with my H4D which was solved by changing the energy saving preferences on my tethered Macs to everything always on.
David Watson ARPS

pschefz

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 12:44:55 pm »

same here...it's not that Phocus is THAT bad but when shooting even one connection issue can throw me off....
capture one is still probably the best solution out there
but i have to say i am actually surprised how well the fuji LR plug in works with the GFX....first time i can unplug, plug back in, go back and forth between tethered and a few shots non tethered and it is completely bulletproof every time, does not skip a beat....

i do like the hasselblad wifi tether implementation of getting really quick previews on iPad....
schefz.com
artloch.com

paulster

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 04:12:32 pm »

Try using a small USB3 hub in between the laptop and your cable.  I went through the exact same experience of hair-pulling when tethering (albeit with a different camera body), getting random disconnects, etc., and then I solved it completely by putting a cheap AmazonBasics 4-port USB3 hub in between.  I don't know whether it's the chipset of the hub being better able to deal with the long cable to the camera, or whether it has better impedance matching than the laptop itself, but with one tweak I've gone from having a torturous experience tethering to a flawless one.

imageindustry

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2017, 10:41:11 am »

Thanks for your answers,
I must note, after updating Mac OS X to Sierra i had no more troubles. Only once or twice
a day - which is aceptable, obviously a software issue.
wkr, Eric.
Pages: [1]   Go Up