Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Have I missed?  (Read 1335 times)

summernz

Have I missed?
« on: December 02, 2017, 10:22:56 pm »

I can't seem to make the images work. It was mid afternoon, very flat light, low tide and the locals were taking advantage of a hot water spring that rises through the sand. The images look so flat and empty. Can anything be done PP or is it a re- shoot? Any comments would be gratefully received. :)

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
Re: Have I missed?
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2017, 07:20:52 am »

I can't seem to make the images work. It was mid afternoon, very flat light, low tide and the locals were taking advantage of a hot water spring that rises through the sand. The images look so flat and empty. Can anything be done PP or is it a re- shoot? Any comments would be gratefully received. :)

I like your First image, and it has much potential...needs depth and drama. Deeper tones. This however just my opinion.
Peter

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 07:28:53 am »

Your second image needs a shot in the arm...this time, I feel lightening and slight saturation for the image seems to work best for the motif.

Peter

RSL

• http://www.russ-lewis.com
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 07:31:26 am »

Interesting stuff, Sum. And Peter's always worth listening to. But you won't get greater detail from a file much over 500K. Takes a long time to download what you're posting unless you have a fiber connection.
Russ Lewis  www.russ-lewis.com.

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 07:31:57 am »

I like your First image, and it has much potential...needs depth and drama. Deeper tones. This however just my opinion.
Peter

And mine. Great adjustment; just as well it's not Without Prejudice!

;-)

Rob

P.S. Do you watch the Inspector Montalbano series on tv? Set in Sicily - I love it. It comes as a mix of Italian and Sicilian with - for anglophones - English subs. The older Inspector is my favourite - my son's double! - but the other series, of the young Inspector Montalbano, came after the success of the original set of series featuring the older man.

petermfiore

• Peter Fiore Fine Art
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:39:38 am »

And mine. Great adjustment; just as well it's not Without Prejudice!

;-)

Rob

P.S. Do you watch the Inspector Montalbano series on tv? Set in Sicily - I love it. It comes as a mix of Italian and Sicilian with - for anglophones - English subs. The older Inspector is my favourite - my son's double! - but the other series, of the young Inspector Montalbano, came after the success of the original set of series featuring the older man.

Hi Rob,
No, I have not. However I need to. Montalbano is the Sicilian town of my father's birth. It's my ancestral home for the past six hundred years, but what's in a number.

Peter

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 07:58:42 am »

I don't think the TV series has made it to the U.S. yet, but I am addicted to the wonderful English translations by Stephen Sartorelli (sp?). I am in the middle of "A Beam of Light" right now.

Eric
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

luxborealis

• luxBorealis.com - photography by Terry McDonald
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 09:06:41 am »

My guess is the experience you felt in being there is not coming through in the photographs.

The view is distant, more so in the second than the first, so creating immediacy and dynamic is automatically more difficult. However, Peter’s representation simplifies the concept into a set of shapes set against the interesting sky. I think he’s done about the best that can be done. Not every set-up, scene or situation will be a keeper.

If you can re-shoot, get closer. It can work without depth (almost like a set of line dancers), but that’s what you have now. Decide what’s most important: what the people are actually doing (more documentary) or the shapes, tones, lines - the aesthetic - of the scene. Good luck! It’s not an easy situation to capture in a single photograph.
Terry McDonald - luxBorealis.com

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 03:51:37 pm »

For #1 I probably would’ve gone for something like the attached edit as an alternate composition, presuming the unseen sky was more of what we do see.

-Dave-

brandtb

• http://www.brandtbolding.com
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2017, 05:24:41 pm »

I think your instincts are good here and the subjects have "potential". The processing in both isn't helping - they're both a bit wan... lacking needed contrast e.g. - would processing help them over the edge?..not sure.  I think the first has more potential generally. The color image simply has way to much land/sky/sea context for the people in mid ground - and that context doesn't really have any really good contribution. You might look at this image and divide it into either "fourths or fifths" horizontally -  then remove the outer left and right "fourth or fifth" and see what that looks like. Work with contrast and clarity adjustments. If you use Camera Raw/LR etc. the dehaze filter can bring some nice "clarity" to an image like this but the color will shift and may have to be "corrected" if necessary...as well you could add a graduated filter for the beach portion and shift the white balance to be slightly warmer to contrast with the sky.
Brandt Bolding
www.brandtbolding.com

MattBurt

• Looking for that other shot
    • Matt Burt Photography
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2017, 02:00:26 pm »

I think better light would help. Something in the morning or evening to add a little drama.

The composition is ok but not all that engaging. You are like a distant observer in these and that is good if that is what you wanted but like others mentioned, closer would change that. Also a different angle where you might be able to take advantage of a leading line or two wouldn't hurt if possible. Maybe the shoreline? Or if closer, possibly footprints or something in the sand like that.
-MattB

summernz

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2017, 03:17:25 am »

Thank you all for your thoughtful and insightful comments on the images. Peter, you have done a great job in adding drama to the image and luxborealis comment is very constructive. The images are a "miss" but thanks to all of the comments you have given me plenty of options to re-shoot - again thank you :)
 :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up