Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Qimage for MAC?  (Read 21060 times)

enduser

Re: Qimage for MAC?
« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2018, 10:39:38 pm »

I've been using QU and plain old Qimage for years. The killer function for me is to put about 6 of the same image on one sheet and assign a different profile to each one. Always useful for obvious reasons.

TommyWeir

« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2018, 03:57:38 am »

Now that is interesting.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2018, 07:02:14 am »

Now that is interesting.

The per image printer profiling on the print page is nice if you like to compare profiles but is hardly something you need for daily practice. All the images land on the same paper anyway and you will use the best profile for that paper. What is nice though is that the rendering choices with one profile can be set per image on the print page if desired. Saves time and/or paper working with paper rolls.

I have not used it yet but the latest QU update has a new cropping tool added that is outside the image editing tools part. Looks like tools created for Q1 are faster embedded in QU than Q1 :-). However a good decision, it would need that very much if I had to depend on Q1.  Next thing needed are border choices and cut marks, the ones I prefer are the corner marks where after each cut there still are small lines visible for cutting the next edges. I usually add 0.5mm extra white border and cut just within the marks then. The graphic arts cut marks as used for stacked prints on a quillotine cutter, they take more paper and are not as precise and handy when prints are cut one after the other. If Mike adds a color choice for the cut marks in preferences one could use a lighter color and just cut once when the images are nested against one another, the light color will not show on the cutted edge like the black ink does. Or use yellow marks and use a blue lamp near the cutter. Right now QU allows another marking color too (on my request) but the method to get that is too tricky, I would like to have it in preferences.

Met vriendelijke groet, Ernst

http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
March 2017 update, 750+ inkjet media white spectral plots

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2018, 10:12:14 am »

The per image printer profiling on the print page is nice if you like to compare profiles but is hardly something you need for daily practice. All the images land on the same paper anyway and you will use the best profile for that paper.
True, although you may use differing rendering intents. But you'd soft proof to see which first so, kind of a fringe feature.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

gdsf2

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2018, 11:23:24 am »

Quick question for all of you QU or Q1 users. I print with a Pro-1000, so no roll paper, just sheets. I print from CO and only 1, maybe 2, prints per sheet (like 2 5x7 on 8.5x11 paper). Is there really any reason to move away from printing in CO?

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #65 on: January 22, 2018, 06:49:47 am »

True, although you may use differing rendering intents. But you'd soft proof to see which first so, kind of a fringe feature.

Well you can read that in my message as well and I trust a hard proof more than a soft proof so usually skip the last.  For several small proofs nested on the width of a roll a rendering choice per image is very nice. The new crop tool in QU that applies the crop to the image on the print page makes a set of proofs easier too. Very likely that it will come to Q1 too.

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #66 on: January 22, 2018, 06:53:04 am »

Quick question for all of you QU or Q1 users. I print with a Pro-1000, so no roll paper, just sheets. I print from CO and only 1, maybe 2, prints per sheet (like 2 5x7 on 8.5x11 paper). Is there really any reason to move away from printing in CO?

There is a demo. Compare the print results. Check the tools available, if not enough difference come back after a year and check them again.

Edit: at the updating rate already shown I would now say; come back in 3 months.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 03:07:26 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #67 on: January 25, 2018, 03:20:23 am »

What about Qimage One more integrated with Capture One, Photoline, etc ?  The speed of Capture One with big files draws users to it in increasing numbers. It can work with higher than 4 core CPUs, like Qimage Ultimate does too.  A month ago Darktable became available on Windows. In short; there are now good alternatives to Adobe products and binding Q1 to Adobe only may not be the optimal choice for the future.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #68 on: January 25, 2018, 05:34:09 am »

What about Qimage One more integrated with Capture One, Photoline, etc ?

And not to forget Affinity Photo.

The speed of Capture One with big files draws users to it in increasing numbers. It can work with higher than 4 core CPUs, like Qimage Ultimate does too.  A month ago Darktable became available on Windows. In short; there are now good alternatives to Adobe products and binding Q1 to Adobe only may not be the optimal choice for the future.

A seamless way of integrating the printing capabilities of Qimage with those programs would be very interesting indeed.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #69 on: January 25, 2018, 07:15:24 am »

And not to forget Affinity Photo.

A seamless way of integrating the printing capabilities of Qimage with those programs would be very interesting indeed.

Cheers,
Bart

I would like to see Capture 1 for sure.
Equip: iMac (Ret. 5K,27"Mid 2015),macOS 10.15.6

Binartem

« Reply #70 on: January 25, 2018, 11:22:24 am »

We have users who have reported that it works in Capture One Pro (using the Edit With/Edit In feature). What version of Capture One Pro and Qimage One are you using?

Regards,
Mike Chaney
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #71 on: January 25, 2018, 12:13:43 pm »

We have users who have reported that it works in Capture One Pro (using the Edit With/Edit In feature). What version of Capture One Pro and Qimage One are you using?

Regards,
Mike Chaney
Binartem, Inc.
ddisoftware, Inc.

I have check using my Capture one V 10.2.1 and I have used the file menu to send a raw file to Qimage One and it works just as it does from Lightroom. see the relative screen capture. I opened Capture One and select a file to send Qimage One open with the file available as a thumb, i have not tested a print but will do so in due course.
Very happy  :) :)

PH Focal-Scape

• Focal-Scape Photography
« Reply #72 on: January 25, 2018, 05:00:21 pm »

Hello

I've been successfully printing using Q One from Capture One Pro.

I have found that, while COP's "Open With" works it does not incorporate the COP edits.

The best option is by using COP's "Edit With ...". That creates a TIFF (with all the edits) and feeds that to Q1. Perfect!

I'm not sure but it may be that the "Edit With ..." TIFF settings option may need to be set to "uncompressed".

Regards

Peter

I would like to see Capture 1 for sure.

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #73 on: January 25, 2018, 05:44:39 pm »

Hello

I have found that, while COP's "Open With" works it does not incorporate the COP edits.

The best option is by using COP's "Edit With ...". That creates a TIFF (with all the edits) and feeds that to Q1. Perfect!

I'm not sure but it may be that the "Edit With ..." TIFF settings option may need to be set to "uncompressed".

Regards

Peter

yes I agree with your findings.
Thanks for the clarification.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:15:17 pm by Denis de Gannes »

Mike Raub

« Reply #74 on: January 25, 2018, 09:06:15 pm »

In comparing prints from Qimage to those made directly from Photoshop, the QI images have a definite reddish cast. This is likely from operator error, but I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Any ideas?

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #75 on: January 25, 2018, 09:20:09 pm »

In comparing prints from Qimage to those made directly from Photoshop, the QI images have a definite reddish cast. This is likely from operator error, but I cannot figure out what I am doing wrong.

Any ideas?
The only way anyone could possibly respond to the question is for you to describe in detail exactly what procedures, settings and color management you employ with each application when producing the actual print.
This article from 2011 by Mike Chaney the author of Qimage, while is a bit dated, describes how you can get matching prints using both Qimage and Photoshop. Hope this helps.
http://ddisoftware.com/tech/articles/may-2011-printing-the-same-colors-in-qimage-ultimate-and-photoshop/
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 09:30:21 pm by Denis de Gannes »

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #76 on: January 26, 2018, 09:43:18 am »

Hello

Regards

Peter

Not that familiar with Capture One Pro for Sony yet (two hours) but would Exporting Originals / Variants not deliver more possibilities?  Windows version here and I use Qimage Ultimate instead of Q1 so can not really judge that. With Export Variants I might be able to set up both a Color Tiff and a separate B&W export from the RAW file.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:40:06 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2018, 10:03:25 am »

Not that familiar with Capture One Pro for Sony yet (two hours) but would Exporting Originals / Variants not deliver more possibilities?  Windows version here and I use Qimage Ultimate instead of Q1 so can not really judge that. With Export Variants I might be able to set up both a Color Tiff and a separate B&W export from the RAW file. However Grayscale + assigned Gamma 2.2 export seems to be no longer available in C1 based on a google check.

See the quote below by Mike Chaney from a reply to a question from me requesting how Q1 deals with raw files Mac version.
Raws that are well exposed and don't need a lot of editing should have similar default renderings across Ultimate and One.  Beyond that, the scenarios can get complicated.  Ultimate allows the user to change raw processing options to change them from the defaults.  And since macOS has system level support for raw photos, the Mac version of Q1 will render raws like other macOS tools to be consistent across applications on the Mac... but that also means that raw photos will not necessarily be identical when comparing Q1 macOS to Q1 Windows.

Since all raw developing tools come with their own "flavor" of how the raws are developed, we tried to keep things consistent among tools on the same OS.  So Q1 Windows will be a good match for QU Windows (with QU defaults).  And Q1 macOS will be a good match for other macOS tools like Photos.  We felt it was important for macOS users to get raw photo results similar to what they were used to seeing with other macOS tools rather than try to emulate the same results between macOS and Windows since few users tend to switch back and forth between macOS and Windows applications.

As previously mentioned, nearly any tool will produce similar results when developing "typical" raw photos.  For those with challenging scenes, difficult lighting, under or overexposure, we feel like users will likely use their favorite raw developing tool to do the more complicated edits anyway and they will be exporting and then using Q1 to print, or using the including plugins to come from Photoshop.

Regards,
Mike

End Quote

Ernst Dinkla

« Reply #78 on: January 26, 2018, 10:20:22 am »

See the quote below by Mike Chaney from a reply to a question from me requesting how Q1 deals with raw files Mac version.
Raws that are well exposed and don't need a lot of editing should have similar default renderings across Ultimate and One.  Beyond that, the scenarios can get complicated.  Ultimate allows the user to change raw processing options to change them from the defaults.  And since macOS has system level support for raw photos, the Mac version of Q1 will render raws like other macOS tools to be consistent across applications on the Mac... but that also means that raw photos will not necessarily be identical when comparing Q1 macOS to Q1 Windows.

Since all raw developing tools come with their own "flavor" of how the raws are developed, we tried to keep things consistent among tools on the same OS.  So Q1 Windows will be a good match for QU Windows (with QU defaults).  And Q1 macOS will be a good match for other macOS tools like Photos.  We felt it was important for macOS users to get raw photo results similar to what they were used to seeing with other macOS tools rather than try to emulate the same results between macOS and Windows since few users tend to switch back and forth between macOS and Windows applications.

As previously mentioned, nearly any tool will produce similar results when developing "typical" raw photos.  For those with challenging scenes, difficult lighting, under or overexposure, we feel like users will likely use their favorite raw developing tool to do the more complicated edits anyway and they will be exporting and then using Q1 to print, or using the including plugins to come from Photoshop.

Regards,
Mike

End Quote

Denis, that answers some questions I raised in my second message in this thread but not the one you replied on.  I rephrase it shorter here; Can Capture One Pro export a Tiff, JPG or PNG as a Grayscale file with Gamma 2.2 assigned? 

Edit; It can, as some replies further on indicate. I was mistaken with C1's activation and by that still in the Express version that may not have the direct Grayscale file export.

« Last Edit: January 29, 2018, 05:43:02 am by Ernst Dinkla »

Denis de Gannes

« Reply #79 on: January 26, 2018, 11:19:39 am »

I am sorry Ernst i do not have an answer to that specific question. Maybe a more experienced user of Capture One can post a response.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up