Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Anybody out there Printing from LightRoom with a Canon Pro 2000?  (Read 1226 times)

uintaangler

Anybody out there Printing from LightRoom with a Canon Pro 2000?
« on: December 01, 2017, 05:50:14 pm »

Tried my first print and make some mistake in paper handling.
Wanted a 20 x 30 print and ended up with a 10" x 14" print on a piece of paper 35" long!
Ouch!!!!
Don't want to make that mistake a second time
HELP!!!
Thanks.

Dan Wells

Re: Anybody out there Printing from LightRoom with a Canon Pro 2000?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2017, 01:27:24 am »

I have done that too - be careful with the paper sizes in Lightroom! This is equally true of all roll-fed printers. I use mostly custom sizes ( the exception is that ARCH D is a perfect 24x36", so no need to make another) with the width ALWAYS being 24" (unless you have a 17" roll in your 24" printer, or are printing on a sheet). I have a bunch of custom sizes set up with different lengths depending on what I'm doing. All of my custom sizes are set up with all four borders at 0.25"

24x18" is a really useful one (note that the ARCH C 24x18" size is oriented the WRONG WAY - it will print only 18" wide and use up a 24" long piece of paper)... It makes a nearly 16x24" print (from a 3:2 image), or two nearly 12x18" prints next to each other.

24x20" is very useful if you use a less elongated format like Micro 4/3 or most medium format. I have had it set up in the past - haven't needed it yet with this printer.

24x14" is useful, because it gives handling room on the top and bottom when making three 8x12s next to each other.

24x36" (ARCH D) is useful to get the largest possible print of the entire frame.

24x8" is useful for cramming a bunch of 5x7" prints next to each other, and 24x9" is useful for 6x9" prints.

I keep a couple of longer sizes handy for dealing with panoramas - 24x72" is my record so far, and it's about the longest I can print at high resolution from Lightroom on my MacBook Pro with 16 GB of RAM.

Note that most of my print sizes are a tiny bit short of nominal (my 16x24" print is actually 23.5" wide, for example). I take this into account when ordering mats, but it's cheaper than running prints the long way to get the last bit (and you can't get a true 24x36" without going borderless).

Dan

patjoja

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 02:00:49 am »

Tried my first print and make some mistake in paper handling.
Wanted a 20 x 30 print and ended up with a 10" x 14" print on a piece of paper 35" long!
Ouch!!!!
Don't want to make that mistake a second time
HELP!!!
Thanks.

You have to set the paper size and orientation in the "Page Setup" menu (which opens the Canon Print Setup menu).  Set your paper to a custom paper size of 20x30. I'd recommend checking the print preview box which will give you a chance to abandon the print if you got something wrong.  After okaying that and getting out of the Printer Setup, set the cell size in the Lightroom print module to slightly less than 20x30 (you will need margins of about 0.13"). The cell is what actually contains the image and sits within the page. 

Hope that helps a little.  It takes time to learn all this things, but you'll get there!

Patrick

Dan Wells

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 10:31:37 am »

No reason to set the width of a custom paper size less than the width of the roll... Lightroom is good at centering prints if it knows how wide the paper is, and no normal printer can cut the paper in both directions (it'll trim the length, but you'll have to do the width with a Rotatrim), so there isn't an advantage to 20x30 over 24x30.
Pages: [1]   Go Up