Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bye Bye Dealers! Hassy launches online store.  (Read 7298 times)

ErikKaffehr

• Echophoto
Re: Bye Bye Dealers! Hassy launches online store.
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 04:13:08 pm »

Hi,

If you understand the physics behind photography, you may not need to read the manual, as 75 % of the manual just states the obvious.

I would agree, 95% of the times, dealers are not needed.

But, I would agree. When I bought my P45+ the main dealer in Sweden did know nothing about Phase One backs. But, there was a real dealer somewhere in the archipelago of Sweden who knew everything about sync cables and viewfinder masks.

It seems that a lot of good info is coming from Capture Integration, mostly due to Steve Hendrix. Would I live in the US, i would go to CI and asking for Steve. But, I don't live in the US...

Best regards
Erik

That's a reflection of one of photography's problems: far too many features that take digital recording almost right out of photography, if you let it.

My old Nikons have a pile of functions I have never used, don't want to use and can't imagine ever wanting to use. As a direct result, the manuals remain mostly unread, and as the bodies are set to be as manual as possible, the odd time something goes out of whack, usually my own damned fault, it means a hunt through the books in order to discover what the hell I did this time. As for ever getting the entire camera into my mind - I hope never: life is already becoming too complex for my happiness!

Shame that such a simple, intuitive process as making a photograph has turned into a technician's paradise rather than an artist's brush.

Rob C
Erik Kaffehr

Rob C

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2017, 05:32:00 pm »

Hi,

If you understand the physics behind photography, you may not need to read the manual, as 75 % of the manual just states the obvious.

I would agree, 95% of the times, dealers are not needed.

But, I would agree. When I bought my P45+ the main dealer in Sweden did know nothing about Phase One backs. But, there was a real dealer somewhere in the archipelago of Sweden who knew everything about sync cables and viewfinder masks.

It seems that a lot of good info is coming from Capture Integration, mostly due to Steve Hendrix. Would I live in the US, i would go to CI and asking for Steve. But, I don't live in the US...

Best regards
Erik

I"m certainly not saying dealers are not needed: quite the contrary, in that I think them essential; it's the closing of so many due to the Internet-based outlets that annoys me because it makes contact difficult.

My problem is it's the cameras have become too smart; consequently the manuals have become huge just to help people work their way around the functions they might have to learn, and which I am happy to ignore, most of the time. I like photography simple, just like my needs from photography.

Rob

bcooter

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2017, 06:46:10 pm »

I"m certainly not saying dealers are not needed: quite the contrary, in that I think them essential; it's the closing of so many due to the Internet-based outlets that annoys me because it makes contact difficult.

My problem is it's the cameras have become too smart; consequently the manuals have become huge just to help people work their way around the functions they might have to learn, and which I am happy to ignore, most of the time. I like photography simple, just like my needs from photography.

Rob

It depends on the camera.  The little Sony's and Olympus takes an online manual and  notepad to set the menu.

My contax/phase backs are like film.  Pop it on, set the speed, wb, turn the camera nobs and shoot.

Nothing can be more complicated than a digital cinema camera, (some makes) but acclaimed dp's like Roger Deakins shoots with the same set up all the time and uses one or two luts for base color on every movie he shoots.

With my older RED 1s I have used them for years, so in pre production, I set them up, match them, build my own look in cameras and tell any b or c operator, or assistant operator not to touch anything other than the t stops and the record button.   They always do, but I always catch it.

The only thing I dislike about newer digital cameras is they are too smooth and not as film looking as the older ones.

Sure they have more useable stops and go to higher iso's, but comparing a new dslr to my first canon 1ds, I always prefered the look of that camera and probably because it required fill cards or lights, which meant more craft to the image.

Though it's a shame how people buy now.   They go into a camera store, tie up the sales people for an hour, test the camera, then go online to save $75, then if there is an issue go back to the store they tested it with and want a fix for a soft lens or knowledge of how to set it up.

That's really not fair.

Anyway, when setting up my 1dx 1 and 2 I use the old 1ds as a baseline for the look.  Never get exact but can get pretty close.

But just like film, once you get zoned in on a look, all you need to change is a focus point, wb and iso.   The rest is easy.

But in my experience I've always had great service (except once) from cps and though I use older phase backs and a Leica S2, always had amazing service from CI and Steve Hendrix.

IMO

BC

BobShaw

• Aspiration Images
« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2017, 08:44:19 pm »

It is a sign of the times.
In Sydney at least most of the camera stores have gone bust or are in trouble.
The Phase One Dealer who has been in the business for decades just closed its doors. (A new dealer has been appointed)
The Hasselblad dealer does other things and so is not dependant on cameras.

When I started in digital I read my Canon 350D manual and knew every knob and twiddle. Same with the 5D2. Now I have a 5Ds and started to read the manual - 532 pages. I gave up. On the menu screen there are 4 pages of options for AF. Lucky auto focus is for sissies. I have a T-shirt that says so.

My Hasselblad has a much smaller manual. If I want Mirror Up I press the Mirror Up button.
If I need service I ship it to the dealer in Sydney and they ship it to the Head Office in Melbourne and unless it's something simple they then ship it to Denmark.

A lot of things Hasselblad does on line it fulfils through the dealers so you may buy online but then get it from the dealer anyway.
Website - http://AspirationImages.com
Studio and Commercial Photography

BJL

« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2017, 10:36:48 pm »

In a rational market, local support services, repairs and such can be products contracted separately from the original hardware: my HVAC service contract is not with the installer or manufacturer. Could good pro camera stores sell such a service to online buyers? Original hardware pricing would have to be adjusted down if it no longer includes all that pro dealer support.

Rob C

« Reply #25 on: December 02, 2017, 06:15:32 am »

In a rational market, local support services, repairs and such can be products contracted separately from the original hardware: my HVAC service contract is not with the installer or manufacturer. Could good pro camera stores sell such a service to online buyers? Original hardware pricing would have to be adjusted down if it no longer includes all that pro dealer support.

Thing is, good pro dealers always did provide an excellent (in my experience() after-sales service. In the case of my own local expert, he handled Leica, Nikon and Hasselblad as his major brands. He was one of only two Leica dealerships of which I knew in the area. The various camera reps paid him frequent visits (you could arrange to meet them) and would keep him up to date with all that was new. A photographer himself, he was very interested in the stuff that he stocked. Fortunately, he was a little straight-laced, and as a direct comsequence, I ended up getting the Hans Feurer and Sam Haskins calendars when he remembered; I wonder if the Pentax chap wondered where they went?

Trouble was, as I've mentioned before, like me, he was based in Scotland and not London. In the end, Hasselblad dumped him because he was not willng to buy from them at a price that was above that for which bigger English dealers were able to sell the bloody cameras! Yes, legal, but there is something amiss when the makers think it okay directly to undermine their smaller retailers. Those bigger companies, within bigger catchment areas, would have been selling the same number of units regardless: nobody bought Hassy on whim, and if they could, it was clearly not going to be a customer's make or break decision whether or not he saved a few critical (to the smaller dealers) bucks. See Leica today. If big companies can make cost cutting offers via internal advantages of scale or better management, okay, but it's not okay if that is because they can get the goodies from the makers at a lower price than can the competition. As a consequence, I lost a good dealer who knew his gear, but fortunately for me I ended up going abroad anyway. On a return trip I went to see him to discover he had folded. I had used him for over two decades.

And in the end, it's the customer's fault, brough about by the Internet and the virtual, non-shop outlets that gradually destroy everybody with premises to run and support. I think it's a manifestation of very limited vision on the part of shoppers; where the hell do they imagine this is going to finish? When all the real shops have closed then the fight between the Internet merchants will get really fierce, until the last man standing runs everything. Then see where prices go. If there's anyone left to manufacture anything, that is.

I suppose it comes down to our very own cupidity.

Rob

Kevin Gallagher

« Reply #26 on: December 02, 2017, 09:48:07 am »

" Though it's a shame how people buy now.   They go into a camera store, tie up the sales people for an hour, test the camera, then go online to save $75, then if there is an issue go back to the store they tested it with and want a fix for a soft lens or knowledge of how to set it up.

That's really not fair."

Could not agree with you more. A good friend had a sporting goods store many years back. The store included an indoor Archery Range. I listened one day as a customer was beating up on him over the $$ of a particular bow. Mind you, when someone purchased archery equipment there, they ALWAYS left the store with a bow that was setup and tuned to fit the shooter. All this was done at no charge. Well he finally said to the customer he'd take the 20 or 30 dollars off but the customer could not open the box in the store and would have to deal only with the bow's maker if there was a problem. The same thing used to happen all the time with certain (dare I say it, firearms purchasers), the store was very well stocked with them and always had a very good supply of certain hard to get items. The usual exchange went something like this "well dealer X has this for 20.00 less and this one here for almost 40.00 less." My friend would then ask why the customer was not making his purchase from Dealer X, the answer was always the same "well, he doesn't have any in stock"

Kevin in CT
Kevin In CT
All Animals Are Equal But Some Are More Equal
 George Orwell

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2017, 12:31:56 pm »

deleted idiotic post. apologies  :)

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 02, 2017, 06:43:23 pm by eronald »
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

bcooter

« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2017, 07:13:33 pm »

If the web store works well, I could imagine that in time Hassy could move to a direct sales model for the "small" X1D, and lower the price substantially.

I don't believe it works that way.    Even RED started with their own exclusive sales outlets, in most major markets, offered a complete line so you could buy it all and start working.    Now they sell through many retailers as the goal today is to sell product, no matter how.

If you buy from RED you get your own bomb squad rep some are good, some not so, but RED changes their upgrade and sales process continually so whatever you hear today will most likely change tomorrow.

I personally believe you buy as local as possible, build good relationships with your suppliers as they can save you and give you honest information.

I also want to speak with the people I purchase from.  Nothing is more frustrating than buying 5 items and only 4 come in 1 is backordered or not the correct item.

No matter if you shoot for fun or commerce, what you purchase is important to you and good suppliers really are your production partners.

IMO

BC

eronald

« Reply #29 on: December 03, 2017, 12:10:14 am »

I don't believe it works that way.    Even RED started with their own exclusive sales outlets, in most major markets, offered a complete line so you could buy it all and start working.    Now they sell through many retailers as the goal today is to sell product, no matter how.

If you buy from RED you get your own bomb squad rep some are good, some not so, but RED changes their upgrade and sales process continually so whatever you hear today will most likely change tomorrow.

I personally believe you buy as local as possible, build good relationships with your suppliers as they can save you and give you honest information.

I also want to speak with the people I purchase from.  Nothing is more frustrating than buying 5 items and only 4 come in 1 is backordered or not the correct item.

No matter if you shoot for fun or commerce, what you purchase is important to you and good suppliers really are your production partners.

IMO

BC

Aren't the rental houses now turning into full-service rent/sell/problem-fix bureaus?

I have dealt with the video rental places a bit and they seem much more solution-oriented than the photo dealers, and helpful with the small stuff -cables etc-  not only the large.

Edmund
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

BJL

« Reply #30 on: December 03, 2017, 01:02:52 pm »

I posted to provoke and am surprised no one has picked up that if a camera needs a 400 page manual the chances of using it to its full potential is rather vanishingly small IMHO.
I have never read the manual for my Leica M2 and it works surprisingly well, mine doesn't have a self timer so that's one complication less as well  8)
Strange logic: a product that offers a greater array of functionality is likely to have a longer manual—I do not see how that can be spun into a disadvantage. to put it another way: I use a smaller _fraction_ of the far more numerous features of my current digital cameras than I did with my manual SLRs, but that "smaller fraction of a larger total" comes to more capabilities that I am making good use of.

eronald

« Reply #31 on: December 03, 2017, 04:54:41 pm »

Strange logic: a product that offers a greater array of functionality is likely to have a longer manual—I do not see how that can be spun into a disadvantage. to put it another way: I use a smaller _fraction_ of the far more numerous features of my current digital cameras than I did with my manual SLRs, but that "smaller fraction of a larger total" comes to more capabilities that I am making good use of.

Have you tried setting up the action follow-focus AF on a pro SLR?

Edmund

BJL

« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2017, 08:45:52 pm »

Thing is, good pro dealers always did provide an excellent (in my experience() after-sales service. . . .
Rob
Rob, I have no disagreement with your diagnosis, and the sadness of the situation: the only places I could now buy a camera within many hours' drive of home are big-box discount stores that only carry a few models of ILC from each of just two or three brands.

I am just looking for some optimism about how the people at "bricks and mortar" photo stores might adapt to this painful  reality, and find new markets for whatever part of their talents and resources there is still a need for. Maybe Edmund has a point that lenses and their rental providers are a hope — but only in very major markets.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up