Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Bye Bye Dealers! Hassy launches online store.  (Read 7303 times)

eronald

• My gallery on Instagram
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
Re: Bye Bye Dealers! Hassy launches online store.
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 11:33:22 am »

Interesting!   Dealer support is of critical importance to me.  In the case of Phase One, I find their customer support sorely lacking but DT provides all the support I need.  I'm not sure that camera manufactures have the DNA to really support customers.

Bo_Dez

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 12:09:40 pm »

I would rather support a dealer who supports me in return.

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 04:11:01 pm »

Makes sense.

I don’t see why X1D customers would benefit more or less from dealers than D850 users would.

Even for the H6D, unless you use it on a tech camera it is self-explanatory and just works.

A key role of dealers during the CCD era was to convince their customers that the inferior real DR of their 40,000 US$ back compared to 3,000 US$ Nikons was in fact a great spec of their camera.  ;D This isn’t needed any longer with CMOS backs.

Now good dealers can have great value for mission critical pro customers, but not for Chinese hobbyists whi just want to show off and prefer the ease of online stores where impulsive purchases are just one click away.

Cheers,
Bernard
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:37:58 pm by BernardLanguillier »

cgarnerhome

• cgarnerphoto
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 07:26:02 pm »

I have had a couple of instances where I had problems in the field and dealers sent replacements over night.  One was with a Nikon and one was with a Phase One.  Not sure any manufacturer is going to provide that level of service.  While that might not be important to some it's important to me.

eronald

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 07:59:33 pm »

If the web store works well, I could imagine that in time Hassy could move to a direct sales model for the "small" X1D, and lower the price substantially.

Edmund

Makes sense.

I don’t see why X1D customers would benefit more or less from dealers than D850 users would.

Even for the H6D, unless you use it on a tech camera it is self-explanatory and just works.

A key role of dealers during the CCD era was to convince their customers that the inferior real DR of their 40,000 US$ back compared to 3,000 US$ Nikons was in fact a great spec of their camera.  ;D This isn’t needed any longer with CMOS backs.

Now good dealers can have great value for mission critical pro customers, but not for Chinese hobbyists whi just want to show off and prefer the ease of online stores where impulsive purchases are just one click away.

Cheers,
Bernard
If you appreciate my blog posts help me by following on https://instagram.com/edmundronald

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:10 pm »

Nikon/Canon do offer Professional Services that in MF, pro dealers typically have to step up for.

eronald

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:37:43 pm »

Nikon/Canon do offer Professional Services that in MF, pro dealers typically have to step up for.

Here in France, whatever the manufacturer, service quality depends on who you are.

I handed  a new pro body in to Nikon once for a viewfinder tilt adjustment. As it came back,  I told the tech at the counter to take a picture to check the camera- he pointed it at a Nikon Service notice, took a picture, looked at it and said "this is rather unsharp". So I said "ok you've seen it's unsharp, now please fix it". Guy answered "I can't do that, you need to hand in a file to prove that the camera is not ok". Of course it wasn't about not doing the warranty fix, it was about making sure I was at the back of the queue as I deserved to be without a pro id. The fact that you've paid $XXXX for the camera doesn't mean that you deserve a precisely adjusted body. I'm not the only one who got these games, Stephen Eastwood told me a similar problem in NY about display color issues when I interviewed him, except that the maker was Canon, I think. Under warranty it was "impossible",  when he became an Explorer of Light, the reps got the cameras adjusted.

Edmund
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 09:45:14 pm by eronald »

Stngoldberg

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 09:53:00 pm »

In my case a Capture Intergration representative came to my house to deliver the camera and tutor me in Capture One and the use of the Phase One 100 megapixel camera. He stayed for three hours until I felt secure with my ability to use the camera. Truthfully I would not have bought the camera without that personal service.
Medium format is not a Nikon...I have three Nikons and they have a purpose...medium format requires a different learning curve that requires personal attention
Chris Snipes, the CI representative, has also excelled in service after the sale.
I have emailed him numerous times with questions; he has responded usually within the same hour with a solution.
IMHO buying a medium format camera online makes no sense
Stanley

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 09:59:03 pm »

I would be interested in hearing how you think your XF differs from your Nikon?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

pschefz

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 10:31:33 pm »

i have owned several DMF backs and way too many other cameras to remember but i don't see or understand why DMF needs more or less handholding or service? on the contrary, every DMF system i have owned has been pretty straight forward in terms of use and handling, some other cameras i have owned probably should have come with a personal instructor since their menus and options are over the top.....

hasselblad understands that the only way to survive in the long run is to maintain a fine line between professional system and luxury item (like leica) and they also understand that they might get away with charging a certain premium but lets face it: the same sensor and similar quality lens has to be within a certain range....

i think it is a good move by hasselblad, i don't think any of the available dealers will really care all that much and anything that helps keeping another DMF maker stay in business and keeps competition healthy is fine with me....
schefz.com
artloch.com

SrMi

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 11:36:47 pm »

I would say: "Bye Bye Online Dealers". Even before Hasselblad's latest move, people could choose to buy from a local dealer or from an online store. Those who decided to support the local dealers would continue to support local dealers for the same reasons they avoided online dealers before. Those who want to buy online have now an additional source: Hasselblad's  online store.

eronald

« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2017, 02:44:43 am »

I would say: "Bye Bye Online Dealers". Even before Hasselblad's latest move, people could choose to buy from a local dealer or from an online store. Those who decided to support the local dealers would continue to support local dealers for the same reasons they avoided online dealers before. Those who want to buy online have now an additional source: Hasselblad's  online store.

You are completely right.

Edmund

Chris Livsey

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2017, 03:46:08 am »

Hasselblad H6D-50C User Manual:  181 pages
Hasselblad X1D User Manual: 124 pages
Nikon D850 Manual: 400 pages

Which needs more handholding?

hubell

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2017, 08:38:52 am »

So true.

BAB

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2017, 09:40:55 am »

The H manual lacks in depth explanations concerning its features and practical examples, the few examples they do offer are no more than one paragraph in length.

The manual also would be more complete if firmware additions were completed instead of remaining on the to do list. This list has 25 feature that could be implemented which would make the system second to none...please email your favorite H employee or anyone having influence to get these requests facilitated.

Also the technical articles if added to the manual would increase its size, however even so those articulate are limited and also need to be brought up to date.

Nikon has lots of automation, many more features crammed into its DNA and the H bodies are very capable of producing similar results but your on your own with the work arounds and the timing issues!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2017, 09:49:32 am »

IMO if the only Value your Value Added Reseller is providing can be readily replaced by reading the manual then you have a decidedly deficient dealer with whom you should be done.

Chris Livsey

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2017, 10:10:19 am »

IMO if the only Value your Value Added Reseller is providing can be readily replaced by reading the manual then you have a decidedly deficient dealer with whom you should be done.

I posted to provoke and am surprised no one has picked up that if a camera needs a 400 page manual the chances of using it to its full potential is rather vanishingly small IMHO.
I have never read the manual for my Leica M2 and it works surprisingly well, mine doesn't have a self timer so that's one complication less as well  8)

eronald

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 03:37:34 pm »

I used to special order esoteric tech books at a Paris bookseller many years ago. I’d phone and they’d never be there. One day I saw my books on display on a shelf dead opposite the entrance: The shop was selling them, reordering, selling again, reordering, and if the books stayed there for a bit longer they’d call me and deliver my (unsaleable) copy.

But I needed those books for my PhD. In fact I’d already paid for them.

I never bought a book there again.

In the photo trade what the dealer does is sell you the lens that has already been rejected as unsharp by a “pro”, which is why a lens bought from him by a random buyer will never be good. My Nikon dealer in Germany was honest, he said he had people test the lenses on location, and usually sent two out of three back; a Paris dealer will just sell all three, one to a “pro” and the other two to suckers. If the sucker returns the lens it will go to another sucker and in the end maybe to an institution.

Dealers have all sorts of tricks to make money; the interests of their customers come last. Many of the customer service issues we hear about actually come from bad dealer behaviour - buy from B&H or another big house and you’ll have a better chance of stuff that works out of the box.

Edmund
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 03:47:29 pm by eronald »

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 03:43:49 pm »

I posted to provoke and am surprised no one has picked up that if a camera needs a 400 page manual the chances of using it to its full potential is rather vanishingly small IMHO.
I have never read the manual for my Leica M2 and it works surprisingly well, mine doesn't have a self timer so that's one complication less as well  8)

That's a reflection of one of photography's problems: far too many features that take digital recording almost right out of photography, if you let it.

My old Nikons have a pile of functions I have never used, don't want to use and can't imagine ever wanting to use. As a direct result, the manuals remain mostly unread, and as the bodies are set to be as manual as possible, the odd time something goes out of whack, usually my own damned fault, it means a hunt through the books in order to discover what the hell I did this time. As for ever getting the entire camera into my mind - I hope never: life is already becoming too complex for my happiness!

Shame that such a simple, intuitive process as making a photograph has turned into a technician's paradise rather than an artist's brush.

Rob C
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up