Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 11 announced and available  (Read 14080 times)

jonride

Re: Capture One 11 announced and available
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2017, 06:38:08 pm »

Not once you use the discount code above, then it's roughly the same.
At least CO continues to have an upgrade policy enlightened enough to allow you to skip a version without a massive financial penalty.
It still is significantly more expensive even after the discount.  But yes, the skip-a-version possibility helps.

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2017, 07:08:08 pm »

It still is significantly more expensive even after the discount.  But yes, the skip-a-version possibility helps.

Yes, the price increase is significant. I suppose we have Adobe to thank for that as well. With so many people trying to jump ship after they abandoned the perpetual subscriptions for Lightroom, Phase One probably wanted to set a new/higher baseline pricing for the newcomers (and figured they could overcome the temporary loss of a few faithful users). But for working professionals, it's a manageable increase, for this round ...

It does mean that users will become more critical/vocal when things do not work as expected. I'll also have a few items that need to be improved to keep me satisfied in the field of emerging alternatives.

The initial version 11 functionality additions are quite useful for several types of (especially professional commissioned work) users. But e.g. the restrictions to layered (proprietary) PSD files for some of the output, instead of TIFF, makes little sense to me. To name one issue. 

Cheers,
Bart
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 07:25:55 pm by BartvanderWolf »
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

hk1020

« Reply #42 on: December 05, 2017, 04:19:20 am »

The preview issue is really annoying. The worst part is that in some conditions it actually changes the color appearance at different sizes.
I wasn't quite sure what people complained about here but such changes in color I've seen as well. I've put it down to some problems with the graphics card and the GPU use I but never bothered to really track it down. I haven't seen it recently. C1 keeps changing use of GPU from version to version. I think you can currently only switch between auto and none for GPU usage in the settings, which essentially means you don't know whether the GPU is being used or not unless you set it to none.

With respect to DAM, it is debatable if this should be a core functionality or not.
Well, if it isn't then C1 shouldn't reinvent the file system. I can perfectly organize my files in a directory structure but C1 makes it hard to use it. Tried to import a folder and all the subfolders?

And what really bugs me with the release of version 11 is that V 10 is now essentially without support. I doubt that if you find a bug and report it that it will be fixed in a new 10.something release.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 04:22:56 am by hk1020 »

IanSeward

« Reply #43 on: December 05, 2017, 07:09:04 am »

Working at 100% magnification (which would address the preview issue) is simply an unworkable proposition as many image adjustments require full view of the image for context. Using the "Proof" feature is a workaround but implies a very distracting "Proofing" label and makes editing too slow.

I am not sure I would agree that the "proof" label is very distracting, please see attached image.  To me it looks quite small.

I also do not see any problems with the preview images.  Could this issue be hardware related?

I am using a 27" monitor with a Nvidia 1060 graphics card.  The C1 preview size is set to 2560 (default).  If I was to use a 640px preview size this would have to be enlarged significantly for display?

I checked the pixel size of the image showing the proof label and the actual image is 2330x1440 px.  Not that great a difference between the original preview size.  Is this why I don't see the issues you are bothered by?

Ian

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #44 on: December 05, 2017, 01:16:24 pm »

It still is significantly more expensive even after the discount.
What am I missing here ? the upgrade is 119 euros > 10% discount takes it to 107 > convert to UK pounds > £92 add VAT gets it to £110.
Adobe photography plan is £10 a month, £120pa so it's actually cheaper than sticking with LR.

Where's this significant extra cost ?

Bart_van_der_Wolf

« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 02:55:46 pm »

What am I missing here ? the upgrade is 119 euros > 10% discount takes it to 107 > convert to UK pounds > £92 add VAT gets it to £110.
Adobe photography plan is £10 a month, £120pa so it's actually cheaper than sticking with LR.

Where's this significant extra cost ?

The V11 upgrade is more expensive than the previous V10 upgrade was.

Cheers,
Bart
== If you do what you did, you'll get what you got. ==

ppmax2

« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 03:21:06 pm »

Cheers,
Bart

...by a grand total of...18 dollars  ::)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 04:45:31 pm »

Not by much, but I was refencing the assertion;
<the upgrade> Definitely seems significantly more expensive in the UK.  It's now more than the annual licence for Lightroom + PS.
Er, no, it's still cheaper.

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #48 on: December 07, 2017, 03:07:21 pm »

Thanks. I tried the coupon, but it is not working for upgrades.
Hi, apologies for the inconvenience. It should be working now. Thank you.

sjprg

« Reply #49 on: December 11, 2017, 09:31:51 am »

I went ahead and upgraded without the coupon. Any credit available?
Paul
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up