Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: Capture One 11 announced and available  (Read 14076 times)

Rhossydd

• http://www.paulholman.com
Capture One 11 announced and available
« on: November 30, 2017, 04:10:49 am »

https://www.phaseone.com/en/Products/Software/Capture-One-Pro/Whats-new.aspx

A lot of interesting additions for processing, but sadly almost nothing that adds to it's DAM facilities.

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
Re: Capture One 11 announced and available
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 04:34:28 am »

For those interested, a full review of Capture One Pro 11 is available at Capture One Pro 11 Review

R_Yosha

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 07:36:13 am »

Video review from AlexOnRaw/Sasha Svet/
https://youtu.be/guNqkH_Kh-A

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:11:43 am »

The prices for the upgrades gone up, didn't they used to be lower?

Rhossydd

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 08:17:29 am »

Paul's review mentioned above has a link to get 10% off.

John77

• Zenfolio
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:45:18 am »

Great news!

On my side, a bit less... I have finally bought the upgrade to release 10 a month ago (28 oct.) and now that :-( I hope there will be a grace period. It is the second time it happens to me :( It was the same when I have upgraded to r8, r9 was out a month and half later.

Rhossydd

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:48:45 am »

Just look at the Wikipedia page that lists it's release dates, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capture_One , and you'll see that the last few releases have all happened at pretty much the same time of year.

farbschlurf

• fototypo
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 09:22:54 am »

Just looked in my old orders. Update Pro for Sony was 40, is 69 now ... well. Will buy anyway, the adjustable opacity for layers is really something that I waited for!

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 10:41:08 am »

Alto

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 01:57:04 pm »

Hi All

Unable to upgrade either from the program or Phase One website I'm running 10.2.1 .

Jon

sebbe

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 02:10:30 pm »

Hi All

Unable to upgrade either from the program or Phase One website I'm running 10.2.1 .

Jon

Download it, install it, open it. The rest will follow.
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download.aspx

DP

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 02:34:50 pm »

> LAB Readouts. Available in Capture One CH for years, this option is now available in Capture One Pro.

finally... now did they screw that by making it integer like Adobe did or with .xx precision like Iridient did ?

Jeff

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 03:01:01 pm »

> LAB Readouts. Available in Capture One CH for years, this option is now available in Capture One Pro.

finally... now did they screw that by making it integer like Adobe did or with .xx precision like Iridient did ?

With .xx precision

But I have not yet worked out how to use the feature  or which readout option to choose  :(

indusphoto

• 500px
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 04:10:40 pm »

For those interested, a full review of Capture One Pro 11 is available at Capture One Pro 11 Review

Thanks. I tried the coupon, but it is not working for upgrades.

John Hollenberg

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 04:37:27 pm »

Thanks. I tried the coupon, but it is not working for upgrades.

Worked fine for me.  You put in the coupon, then click on the gray box to the right to validate it.  Upgrade went smoothly.

Alto

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 04:38:09 pm »

Download it, install it, open it. The rest will follow.
https://www.phaseone.com/en/Download.aspx

Thats the point it wouldn't let me download it.

DP

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 05:22:27 pm »

With .xx precision

inconvenient for somebody who is not trying to do lab grade reproduction, the really useful is just .x precision , integers are too rough (shame on Adobe) and .xx is overkill

but it is better than nothing

But I have not yet worked out how to use the feature  or which readout option to choose  :(

for example when my eyes are tired after many images or I have less than ideal monitor/environment I 'd rather get certain colors within certain a/b range that I know works for my needs ... granted something where luma is separated from chroma from hue is better, but lab still better then rgb coordinates
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 08:54:28 pm by DP »

FMueller

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 07:48:26 pm »

No Fuji GFX 50S support.  :-\

Paul Steunebrink

• Image Alchemist
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2017, 04:07:11 am »

Worked fine for me.  You put in the coupon, then click on the gray box to the right to validate it.  Upgrade went smoothly.
There was an issue for CO9 to CO11 upgrades where the coupon offered is not working. This is fixed now. Thank you.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 03:05:52 pm by Paul Steunebrink »

TeeKay

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 06:50:26 am »

Thanks, that's the best C1 11 overview I've seen.

Have you noticed any improvements regarding the often poor quality of C1 previews?

Apparently, not all users seem up in arms about this issue but it has popped up multiple times (e.g., on the C1 forum as well) and any discerning user should take issue with the lack of micro-contrast at low magnification levels.

Working at 100% magnification (which would address the preview issue) is simply an unworkable proposition as many image adjustments require full view of the image for context. Using the "Proof" feature is a workaround but implies a very distracting "Proofing" label and makes editing too slow.

Independently of the fact that the previews are often unfit for editing, they shouldn't look so bad in the first place. With many shots, it looks like they should be discarded as being too blurry to be useful, but zooming in a couple of magnification steps (or using the "Proof" feature) reveals that they are perfectly sharp and only require adequate rendering at the viewing size when shown at "full size".

I believe the problem is the following: C1 generates a preview image at a user-specified size (-> Preferences | Image | Preview Image Size). This size is typically much larger than a typical rendering size which means that the image has to be downscaled. We are thus talking about a second-generation downscale (1. from original size to preview size, 2. from preview size to viewing size). C1 simply does not sufficiently counteract for the softness introduced by the second downscaling.

If one sets the preview size to 640, thus forcing C1 to custom-generate a preview for any viewing size that exceeds 640px, the generated preview is fine! I would live with the small delay this causes (although it would be much better if C1 simply stored additional previews for low viewing magnification levels) but when I edit images with this low preview size setting, the experience is very jarring, as C1 apparently uses the 640px preview image instead of the just-in-time custom-generated image for showing adjustments.

Long story, short: C1 10 has a preview quality issue that is the result of an engineering compromise. The fix is easy and could be made optional, i.e., not mandatory for those who do not want to pay the price in increased preview storage or slight re-rendering delays. If C11 does not address this issue, I most likely won't pay the increased upgrade price to get C11.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up