Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Paying homage to the legendary 1Ds Mark III that gave me a crash course in DSLR  (Read 742 times)

traderjay

In one of my earlier jobs 2007-2008, I had access to virtually every camera and lenses in the market - literally a kid in a candy store with unlimited all you can eat. My only photography experience before that was the Sony DSC-P series DSC-V1 P&S Camera so DSLR is completely new to me.

The big white Canon L lenses and the bulky 1Ds body grabbed my attention so I took them out of the inventory for a spin. The first thing I wondered is where are all the presets found on beginner friendly camera (sports, landscape etc). Then I realized I am dealing with a different beast altogether and I better ramp up my skills quickly. A week later, it was my wife's university convocation so I better learn how to shoot properly or else I am just going to be a poser with no substance.

Thinking about this, the lack of any auto-presets really threw me into the deep end and forced me to very quickly learn and memorize the photographer's trinity cold. To this day, I credit the 1Ds Mark III for really giving me a kick in the butt on what real photography is all about. I've attached some of the photos that was taken in my first week of using the 1Ds:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:08:56 AM by traderjay »

francois

The 1Ds Mark 3 lacks the bells and whistles of the newer DLSRs but it is a real workhorse.
Francois

traderjay

The 1Ds Mark 3 lacks the bells and whistles of the newer DLSRs but it is a real workhorse.
But back in 2008 (when those pics were taken), the 1Ds is a real force to be reckoned with.

francois

But back in 2008 (when those pics were taken), the 1Ds is a real force to be reckoned with.

I still have and use mine.
Francois

douglas frost

I still have my 1DSmk3, although it generally just sits in may bag as a back-up body to my 1DX. Sadly, itís soon for ebay as I have slowly been switching fully to Sony for the last year.

I actually pulled it out a few weeks ago and used it alongside the 1DX shooting a musical rehearsal and I have to say, it was really annoying to use in comparison to the newer camera. Iím sure in a less demanding situation such as landscape or studio, it would be much less of an issue.

When I started shooting 40 years ago, it was with a Pentax K1000 - I guess like so many of us, Iíve become spoilt (and lazy...) with technology.

BUT, the files from the 1DSmk3 are still beautiful!
Pages: [1]   Go Up