Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Article/Review - Just Published A Hands On Review Of The Leica CL  (Read 16658 times)

OmerV

• Photographs
Re: New Article/Review - Just Published A Hands On Review Of The Leica CL
« Reply #80 on: December 04, 2017, 09:28:29 am »

Can anyone confirm the functions of the two control wheels on the top of the camera? The illustration in Kevin's review shows that the aperture is controlled by the left wheel, but according to Jono Slack the aperture is controlled by the right wheel. Are the functions swappable? If not then which wheel does what?

OmerV

• Photographs
« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2017, 09:38:44 am »

I should have gone to the Leica site and downloaded the CL manual before posting. If Kevin's illustration is how he used the camera then the functions of the two wheels can be reversed. According to the Leica CL manual, the right hand wheel controls the aperture.

bwbader

« Reply #82 on: January 11, 2018, 02:59:15 pm »

Does the M adapter allow the use of non-Leica brand M-mount lenses and retain some of the features, or is it completely manual operation?  What features are maintained?
Thanks

scott kirkpatrick

« Reply #83 on: January 14, 2018, 03:47:39 pm »

I've been shooting with a CL for just under a month, with some of the TL lenses (which are excellent, BTW) and some M lenses using the M to L adapter.  You can see the results in occasional posts at the Leica User Forum and at GetDPI or in my albums on Flickr.  To answer the questions in the past few posts, the M to L adapter supports any lens that works on the Ms.  You can identify it automatically if it has a six bit code (or one painted on) or assign it a code  to get the vignetting corrections.  Or leave that off.  With any manual lens, or with an AF lens in manual focus mode you get focus magnification and reasonably useful focus peaking.

The buttons and dials are more complex than the last two answers suggested.  The left dial, if you give a short press to its button, lets you choose P A S M video or (gasp!) styles.  The dials do different things in each of the four basic modes, with the right dial handling aperture and the left dial handling shutter.  In manual mode, that's exactly what they control.  In aperture priority, the right dial is aperture, and the left dial is exposure compensation.  In Shutter priority mode, the left dial is shutter speed and the right dial gets exposure compensation.  Makes sense to me, but some do find it confusing.  The menus are much like those on the M10, with a favorites page that you can configure, followed by five pages of the usual stuff.

Anyway, for me it is a mini-M, with auto focus, lighter lenses, and almost equal image quality.  And it also provides a 1.5X extender back end for Leica's long SL zoom and the R telephotos, without sacrificing aperture.

Flickr Albums:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/133969392@N05/albums
« Last Edit: January 14, 2018, 03:51:39 pm by scott kirkpatrick »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up