Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: No Black Friday for Medium Format gear!  (Read 1667 times)

BAB

No Black Friday for Medium Format gear!
« on: November 24, 2017, 10:44:19 am »

Why wouldn’t Hasselblad, Phase, Arca, Linhof, Sinar, etc have some Black Friday deals?
It is a cheap and fast way to move merchandise, the biggest names in the business have offers from software discounts of 70% off to equipment for at least 10% off hell even Leica is in the game?

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
Re: No Black Friday for Medium Format gear!
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 11:26:37 am »

After we were asked to on a Facebook group we participate in, we put up a Black Friday promo for our DT Capture One Style Pack; promo code black60.

For hardware, we normally consider clients to be on more of a long-term journey with us. Typical sales for us begin weeks or months before a purchase and include sending raw files, arranging in person testing, arranging rentals (credited toward purchase) and a lot of hand holding on questions, problems, and advice. The conversation often involves bundles, trade-ins, financing, or promos. In that context offering 10% off on Black Friday isn't really sensible. I really don't want someone buying a lens *today* (in order not to miss a deal that ends before tomorrow). I want them to buy when they are confident it's a lens that is right for their needs.

Plus, DT works hard, but we consider Thanksgiving weekend to be a chance to spend time with family (I'm on a train to visit my family as we speak) and close the office. We suggest you do the same!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 11:30:43 am by Doug Peterson »

Joe Towner

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 01:31:34 pm »

Software has a zero duplication cost, so any 'sale' on software generally is about getting folks into your ecosystem.  As to hardware, the Medium Format market is more about service & support rather than moving units.  For the few dealers who sell MF gear, any 'discount' would come out of their operating budget (not good).  I'd rather them be able to overnight a bit of gear in an emergancy

With Nikon & Sony having just announced new flagship bodies, any 'sale' is to help clear stock in the previous model.  Canon will sell based on what they see as a good price, and it will include a printer to get you to buy ink hopefully  ;D
t: @PNWMF

BAB

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 07:34:18 pm »

I was talking about the manufacturers initiating a Black Friday sale! The dealers have no loss on their end especially with today’s price fixing. PS the easy way to sell another lens is to an existing customer. A complete system might be a different story.

I realize Thanksgiving is a holiday only celebrated in the USA, not in Europe. Europeans definitely got the idea Black Friday is a day to move merchandise nothing to do with Thanksgiving except for the fact some people don’t work on the Friday following Thanksgiving those people shop. As for me I’m working.

Enjoy your time with your family!
I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kic

pschefz

« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2017, 12:52:03 pm »

Fuji GFX is pretty incredibly cheap right now, body and lens deals....and it was already the most affordable before the sale....
it might also be the best way to get in now, lenses are incredible and are already made for next years 100mpix sensors....
schefz.com
artloch.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up