Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Unpacking HP Z3200  (Read 1894 times)

maxs

Unpacking HP Z3200
« on: November 23, 2017, 01:58:29 pm »

After many a painful wait, I will be in receipt of my new Z this Monday. I ended up buying from Adorma. The printer was back ordered and took 3 weeks to get back into stock. Got call from shipper they wanted to deliver yesterday, unfortunately/fortunately depending on which angle you look at it from, I had too many guests in the house and ended up rescheduling delivery to Monday. That was hard to have to wait a little longer :-(

Anyway in preparation for the arrival. I wanted to ask folks who have this machine, what are the first steps other than unboxing I need to do? I am a printer virgin and this is my first!

Have a wonderful Thanks Giving.

Max

Peter McLennan

Re: Unpacking HP Z3200
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 05:50:52 pm »

Your first printer is a Z3200?  Wow.  Prepare for launch! :)  It makes superb images.

Setup is very straightforward.  HP even provides you with the tools you need.  You will need plenty of space for the assembly process, but it's not difficult.  You'll need help at some point.  It's heavy. 

Installing the inks and heads (!) is easy and well documented by HP.  It will take several hours from opening the box to first print.  Take your time and enjoy the ride.

For me, as a long time printer but a first time HP owner, the worst part is the printer software.  Opaque is putting it kindly.

BTW, don't attempt a USB connection.  Ethernet only.  The printer has its own (invaluable) website built-in.

Mark Lindquist

• it’s not about the photos we take - it’s the ones we leave
    • LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:11:44 pm »

Follow the quick start and unboxing guide to the letter.  You may as well download the software from the HP website.  The CD that comes with it is outdated.

You basically assemble the base first, then with the printer upside down, attach the base while it's still in the big styrofoam end caps, then with three people (one on each end and one in the middle, you tip it up and over. Once it's up on the base, everything is easy from there.

I recommend having a UPS to plug your printer into.  Also, be prepared, there will be noise from the fan that runs 24/7/365.  Don't set it up in your bedroom.  You'll get used to the fan and the occasional maintenance noises it goes through periodically.  It will click and pop then run the head up and down the rail, then find home and seat itself.  It usually does this twice a day.

Good luck with it - you will really enjoy it.  The printer can be quirky, so just be patient with it and learn its ways.

Mark
Mark Lindquist
http://z3200.com, http://MarkLindquistPhotography.com
Lindquist Studios.com

dandeliondigital

• http://www.dandeliondigital.com
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 08:24:49 pm »

be prepared, there will be noise from the fan that runs 24/7/365.  Don't set it up in your bedroom.  You'll get used to the fan and the occasional maintenance noises it goes through periodically.

Hi Mark,
Do you have any idea why HP made that change of having the fan working as it does in the 3200? I have both the 3200PS, and 3100PS, and I must say I prefer the quietness of the 3100PS. Maintenance noises aren't the issue, but that fan noise (very disruptive to the tone of my studio) means I actually shut down the printer when in contrast, I have let the 3100 run and run for years and years. Of course, I mostly now happily use the 3200PS for color work. I hope turning it on and off doesn't end up being a stress for it in the long run. That fan seems like a mistake to me. Just sayin'.

So long for now, Tom

Peter McLennan

« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 10:58:30 pm »

the occasional maintenance noises it goes through periodically.  It will click and pop then run the head up and down the rail, then find home and seat itself.

Scares the hell out of my cats. :)

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 12:51:07 am »

Hi Mark,
Do you have any idea why HP made that change of having the fan working as it does in the 3200? I have both the 3200PS, and 3100PS, and I must say I prefer the quietness of the 3100PS. Maintenance noises aren't the issue, but that fan noise (very disruptive to the tone of my studio) means I actually shut down the printer when in contrast, I have let the 3100 run and run for years and years. Of course, I mostly now happily use the 3200PS for color work. I hope turning it on and off doesn't end up being a stress for it in the long run. That fan seems like a mistake to me. Just sayin'.

So long for now, Tom

Hi Tom,

I was told by a tier 3 engineer that they are working on trying to reduce the fan issue in upcoming firmware, but I haven’t seen it yet.  I’m going to upgrade my firmware soon and see if there has been any difference.  I read somewhere that someone replaced the stock fan with a quiet cool fan and hasn’t had any problems. 
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

Mark Lindquist

• LINDQUIST STUDIOS
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 12:52:09 am »

Scares the hell out of my cats. :)

Yeow!  LOL!
Mark Lindquist
Lindquist Studios.com

maxs

« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 11:51:26 pm »

Yup first ever. Unless you call a Dell Laser 3130CN a 'real' printer!!!

I am hoping the printer is something that blends into one of my unused kids bedrooms :-)

Thanks for the advice.

Max

Your first printer is a Z3200?  Wow.  Prepare for launch! :)  It makes superb images.

Setup is very straightforward.  HP even provides you with the tools you need.  You will need plenty of space for the assembly process, but it's not difficult.  You'll need help at some point.  It's heavy. 

Installing the inks and heads (!) is easy and well documented by HP.  It will take several hours from opening the box to first print.  Take your time and enjoy the ride.

For me, as a long time printer but a first time HP owner, the worst part is the printer software.  Opaque is putting it kindly.

BTW, don't attempt a USB connection.  Ethernet only.  The printer has its own (invaluable) website built-in.

Peter McLennan

« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2017, 12:05:21 am »

Yup first ever. Unless you call a Dell Laser 3130CN a 'real' printer!!!

I am hoping the printer is something that blends into one of my unused kids bedrooms :-)

Thanks for the advice.

Max

Make sure when you decide where to put it that you can get access to the rear easily. You need rear access to load roll media. It's on casters, so that's not usually an issue.

maxs

« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2017, 12:06:35 am »

Followed your advice and downloaded the latest version for Mac OS X from HP website. I also got a spare UPS ready.

Printer arriving Monday so I am pretty excited. One problem is that my wife knows I bought a printer, but I don't think she realizes how large this thing is. It's a small detail I forgot to mention to her. I was hoping I could hide this thing in one of the empty kids bedrooms...but I am hearing this thing is big and noisy and I will need help setting it up. Looks like my plan to unpack it, set it up and move it to where I want all while she is out at work may not work. I will have to think quick on my feet, otherwise if she returns from work and the box is still sitting in my garage might give her a freight...hehe

Dang :-)

Follow the quick start and unboxing guide to the letter.  You may as well download the software from the HP website.  The CD that comes with it is outdated.

You basically assemble the base first, then with the printer upside down, attach the base while it's still in the big styrofoam end caps, then with three people (one on each end and one in the middle, you tip it up and over. Once it's up on the base, everything is easy from there.

I recommend having a UPS to plug your printer into.  Also, be prepared, there will be noise from the fan that runs 24/7/365.  Don't set it up in your bedroom.  You'll get used to the fan and the occasional maintenance noises it goes through periodically.  It will click and pop then run the head up and down the rail, then find home and seat itself.  It usually does this twice a day.

Good luck with it - you will really enjoy it.  The printer can be quirky, so just be patient with it and learn its ways.

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up