Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New Nikon PCE lenses coming?  (Read 104011 times)

kers

• Pieter Kers
New Nikon PCE lenses coming?
« on: November 23, 2017, 08:58:03 am »

Here in the Netherlands are black fridaydeals on the PCE 85, 45 and 24mm al costing only 899€
Such a 50% deal smells like clearing out storage...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
Re: New Nikon PCE lenses coming?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 10:01:33 am »

No doubt the 24mm is being replaced, with the 19mm, albeit the 19mm does have it's own issues sharpness not being one of them.

I have never used the 45mm, but have used several times the 85mm.  Optically, Nikon would be hard pressed to improve it, but it would be nice to have the lens come standard with the setup so that you can have shift and tilt in the same plane.  I realize Nikon will change it, but at a cost unless you are lucky to be NPS.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

kers

• Pieter Kers
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 04:31:01 pm »

...albeit the 19mm does have it's own issues sharpness not being one of them.
Paul Caldwell

So what are the issues with the 19mm PCE? I could not find any except that i think a tripod mount is missing for stitching.
The 45mm PCE has some color aberrations - you have to use it  f5.6 and F8- it is better at short distances than at infinity.
I like the way it draws - soft and sharp at the same time...
Pieter Kers
www.beeld.nu/la

Rob C

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 04:59:51 pm »

I'm in the Nikon camp, but can't think it a good idea for a technical lens to be anything but as sharp as is possible for a lens to be sharp. You can unsharp anything at any time, but not always realistically in the other direction. Nikon's shifters have been around for ages; it's part of the current malaise with the company that not improving them has helped produce. Photographers note these things, and for many, they are enough to drive them into other welcoming arms.

Softer filters sort of gave that impression you describe, but once used, you were stuck with that image and couldn't reverse the effect.

Best to start with best quality, especially in this digital age.

Rob

rethmeier

• http://www.willemrethmeier.com
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 05:46:42 pm »

I had all the PC-E's, sold the 85 as I wasn't using it that much. Certainly the best of the 3.
Can't afford the 19 PCE at the moment.
The 45 PCE I use ,but it does have some CA issues.
The 24 PCE could use an upgrade.
And maybe the 14-24 zoom as well?
Willem Rethmeier
www.willemrethmeier.com

Paul2660

• Photos of Arkansas
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 06:01:27 pm »

So what are the issues with the 19mm PCE? I could not find any except that i think a tripod mount is missing for stitching.
The 45mm PCE has some color aberrations - you have to use it  f5.6 and F8- it is better at short distances than at infinity.
I like the way it draws - soft and sharp at the same time...

Very sharp on center but starts to show effects of retrofocus design on shifts past 5mm pretty harshly. Elongation and flattening.  A bit of softness on mine on shifts past 7mm even at f8 to f11. However it seems that slight refocusing can help.

No hood and outer element being round is very flare prone. Even pulling flare from behind. By this I mean I was able to get flare from the sun even with the sun at my back which did surprise me.

With the Lee filter adapter you can filter the lens with the SW-150 setup.

IMO not equal to a Rodenstock 28mm which is close the same focal length in 35mm terms.

Outer element is huge and you just have to be very careful with it since there is no hood which again was a surprise for me.

Still a nice optic and I am looking forward to some creek use in the springtime.

Paul Caldwell
Paul Caldwell
Little Rock, Arkansas U.S.
www.photosofarkansas.com

alan_b

• West Coast Architecture + Interiors Photographer
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 08:43:57 pm »

I'd be pleasantly surprised if new PCEs (24, 35!) came, but don't hold your breath.  There were leaks for years (and a redesign) before the 19 was released. 

Note that they have field curvature (19, 24, 45 - haven't critically checked the 85), so not straightforward to get sharpness where you expect/want it.  As Paul says, you definitely need to shade the 19 - it will flare from open sky or a window if inside.  For filtering, Haida has a 150mm holder that bayonets onto the 19, with other inserts available.

aaronleitz

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2017, 12:36:36 am »

No doubt the 24mm is being replaced...

Boy I hope so. I've had three copies of the 24mm and all of them have been disappointing. Nikon's sensor tech is the only thing that has kept me from jumping ship to Canon and it's superior PC lineup (IMHO).

the_luminous_french

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 05:49:27 pm »

I was in the process to upgrade my D800 for a D850 with PCE in other to shoot architecture ( i'm using an arca RM3D for that purpose)...
i've test the 24... 3 copies... horrible !
i've test the 19... quite good, but in many cases too large
i've test the 45, and was surprise... while it was quite sharp, too much color fringing for ma taste
i have the 85, and that one is quite good

no 35 available... the 24 being horrible... i keep my arca for now... maybe i should try a canon...
I had the 5D mark I and a 5D mark II, then i bought the Arca... and i went for the nikon D800 when he came out for other stuff... much better IQ in my opinion than the 5D mark III... i prefer the nikon way of rendering colors...

so i was in the process to spend quite a lot of money for a D850 and lenses... finally, i'm waiting for a D850 without mirror... and news PCE... 24 and 35... but it looks like the wait will be long... maybe i should go for an IQ150...

If i wasn't using shift, i will go for the Fuji GFX... really nice rendering !

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2017, 07:24:18 pm »

If i wasn't using shift, i will go for the Fuji GFX... really nice rendering !

Have you seen this?

http://forum.luminous-landscape.com/index.php?topic=121985.0

Cheers,
Bernard

the_luminous_french

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 06:04:35 pm »

the GFX use the same sensor as the IQ150... i've tried the IQ150, and there was a lot of color issues when using movements... but Capture One can handle it ( LCC )
The GFX raws cannot be open in Capture one...

BernardLanguillier

• http://www.flickr.com/photos/bernardlanguillier/sets/
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 06:41:55 am »

the GFX use the same sensor as the IQ150... i've tried the IQ150, and there was a lot of color issues when using movements... but Capture One can handle it ( LCC )
The GFX raws cannot be open in Capture one...

Is this compatible with recent versions of Lightroom?

https://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lightroomplugins/

Cheers,
Bernard

the_luminous_french

« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2017, 10:56:35 am »

i've shoot a report with a 5D mark III and a 24 TS-E II yesterday...

years ago i had the 5D II and the 24 TS-E I, i've stopped using it in favor to an arca swiss RM3D and MFDB.
i've bought a Nikon D800 for non architectural pics years ago... i've tried several 24 PC-E without success...
compare to the 24 PC-E, the Canon II is fantastic...
No real information about a new 24 PC-E so far... i'm thinking of going back to canon just for that lens !

i've just find out that when you apply a cropping to the D850 file in order to have the same amount of pixel as the 5D Mark IV... it covers a surface of 2,93x1,95mm... so for that surface, that's a factor of 1.23x... the 19mm on that part of the sensor is similar to a 24 on the full frame... i'd like to see a comparison of the 5D IV + 24 TS-E II vs D850 + 19PC-E crop to 30,5Mp...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 03:00:01 pm by the_luminous_french »
Pages: [1]   Go Up