Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: LR Classic Interface Annoyances  (Read 4454 times)

jwlimages

LR Classic Interface Annoyances
« on: November 22, 2017, 01:37:57 pm »

My experience with LR Classic so far has been underwhelming, to say the least.

In the Develop module it seems to run much more slowly than LR6. The image files I'm using are not huge - Fuji XPro2 and Canon 5D MkIV - in a catalog of about 40K files. Just using Library with 2 monitors, one with a grid & the other with Loupe, as I proceed thru images there will frequently be times either the thumbnail in grid or the enlarged version in loupe will not display. A "blank" gray space shows instead of the image. When I force a redraw, moving to next image & back, the "dropped" preview shows correctly again. (yes, I had LR create 1:1 previews on import)

Smaller annoyances include the fact that whatever I set up for info display - in Develop, for example - is not "sticky" as it was in LR6. When I quit LR & come back to it later no info is displayed - so I have to hit the "I" key again 3 times to have LR show lens & exposure info, for example. Yes, not a huge deal, but these are certainly not welcome "features".

I haven't seen others report anything similar. Are these issues unique to my setup?

I'm running OSX El Cap on an elderly (2009) Mac Pro, beefed up with SSD boot disk, 32GB RAM & an AMD Radeon HD 7950 video card (trying to stretch the life of this machine as long as I can). I have run LR with GPU use enabled & disabled, doesn't seem to make much difference either way, for overall speed or the above issues.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

John

rdonson

Re: LR Classic Interface Annoyances
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 03:15:38 pm »

File, Performance, is "Use Graphics Processor" checked?
Regards,
Ron

jwlimages

« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 06:19:29 pm »

is "Use Graphics Processor" checked?

At the moment, yes. In the dialog, LR says "OpenGL: AMD Radeon HD 7950 OpenGL Engine".

I also tried un-checking it (that's what I meant by "GPU use enabled & disabled", which was maybe the wrong way to say it). Doesn't make a noticeable difference either way.

Thanks for the suggestion.

John

jwlimages

« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 06:28:12 pm »

Accessing Lightroom's Help > System Info:

Graphics Processor Info:
OpenGL: AMD Radeon HD 7950 OpenGL Engine

Check OpenGL support: Passed
Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Version: 4.1 ATI-1.42.15
Renderer: AMD Radeon HD 7950 OpenGL Engine
LanguageVersion: 4.10
Total Video Memory: 3072 MB

From the specs, this card should speed up performance (that's why I got it!) which it did in LR6, but not now...

mbaginy

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 09:59:43 pm »

Smaller annoyances include the fact that whatever I set up for info display - in Develop, for example - is not "sticky" as it was in LR6. When I quit LR & come back to it later no info is displayed - so I have to hit the "I" key again 3 times to have LR show lens & exposure info, for example. Yes, not a huge deal, but these are certainly not welcome "features".
Yeah, I noticed that too.  Can't understand how someone at Adobe thought this is a good idea.  As you mentioned, not a major issue, but a step backwards as far as I'm concerned.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2017, 01:41:22 am »

There's no change. It just means the preferences aren't saving.

Tim Lookingbill

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2017, 01:52:32 am »

I'm just going to throw this out there since I keep reading about this slowness in basic interface function with more updated LR versions and newer OS and beefier hardware.

I'm on a 2010 MacMini, OS 10.6.8. I don't use LR4 but when I did it would be fast enough at first but when I started doing more edits on more images it would exhibit similar slowness but in other preview and interface interaction. Not saying it's the exact issue.

This also happens working in CS5 Bridge/ACR and can be compounded when I edit in non-Adobe apps such as Audacity, a free open source audio editor. I started noticing a pattern in the amount of available disc space in GB's indicated at the bottom pane of all open folders that wouldn't update (increase in size) when I would either quit an app and/or close and not save an image or audio file. It would reduce in number when opening a new audio file but not give it back when closing. Opening and editing new images or audio files started to make things get slower and slower.

I did a test as a process of elimination and quit all apps where it still didn't put back at least 2GB of disc space that was there before I opened all apps (Bridge takes a little bit under 1GB of disc space). So I quit all apps again, shut down the computer and unplugged my MacMini for about a minute and plugged it back in, launched the OS and there it showed at the bottom folder pane the missing 2GB of disc space.

I first launched Bridge which took its sub-1GB disc space, then started Photoshop (disc space stayed the same) then launched Audacity (stayed the same). Started working on images and the speed had improved. Then I opened audio files in Audacity (never an issue with speed) I saw the disc space drop by 1/4GB. Did some editing, saved the audio file and closed the original and noticed it gave back most of the previous disc space.

On some days quitting Bridge editing two or three images will give back the disc space as it updates in all folders ESPECIALLY if I had let Mac OS Cron Scripts do their scheduled maintenance particularly every new week and new month. On those occasions I could work in ACR for hours with very little slowdown. As the days of the week would build up with hours of editing it starts to not add bacl the disc space after quitting Bridge which during this time things start to slow down.

My point in all this is I have a suspicion that disc space usage activity versus Ram usage is developing a bit of a traffic jam that might be contributing to this slowness. I have plenty of Ram to work with the small audio/image files (less than 100MB).

You might check your available disc space when launching LR and see how much it drops and gives back after quitting or closing image files when it starts to get slow. Do the unplug and relaunch system test and/or leave the computer on in sleep mode during a change of month (Cron Script maintenance) and check speed of LR and disc space update.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 01:56:16 am by Tim Lookingbill »

Hoggy

• Never take life, or anything in it, too seriously.
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2017, 01:55:58 am »

I just checked and it IS sticky here, on a Win10 machine.  So it might be a bug - maybe with the Mac version, perhaps?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 02:33:00 am by Hoggy »
Cams: Pentax K-3, K-30 & Canon G7X, S100
Firm supporter of DNG, throwing away originals.
It's the hash, man..  That good hash!

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2017, 06:28:37 am »

It seems sticky here on Mac too.

mbaginy

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2017, 07:41:20 am »

It seems sticky here on Mac too.
Not on my iMac.

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2017, 07:44:17 am »

You've probably got a preferences problem. The program's behaviour hasn't changed.

jwlimages

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2017, 01:43:05 pm »

You've probably got a preferences problem. The program's behaviour hasn't changed.

Hmm, that's actually encouraging. So how to fix a preferences issue? Is it as simple as deleting the file com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist from the User/Library/Preferences folder? Or do I need to dig into the root Library folder?

Well, I guess I'll just try it & report back if it works.

Thanks,

John

john beardsworth

• My photography site
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2017, 01:50:14 pm »

You can do that but you'd need to restart the Mac. Instead, Alt/Opt Cmd Shift as you start LR.

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2017, 02:02:14 pm »

Not on my iMac.
My MBP either. Works like it should and has in the past.
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

digitaldog

• Andrew Rodney
    • http://www.digitaldog.net/
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2017, 02:03:42 pm »

Hmm, that's actually encouraging. So how to fix a preferences issue? Is it as simple as deleting the file com.adobe.LightroomClassicCC7.plist from the User/Library/Preferences folder? Or do I need to dig into the root Library folder?
The best go-to reference for all LR:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/articles-page/how-do-i-reset-lightrooms-preferences/
http://www.digitaldog.net/
Author "Color Management for Photographers".

jwlimages

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2017, 02:38:35 pm »

Instead, Alt/Opt Cmd Shift as you start LR

- Thank you, John. Still no luck on the "non-sticky" info display, so will keep investigating. The other odd behaviors just seem so likely to be video card-related (even tho LR reports the OpenGL for my card is supported & should work fine). I'll try Adobe support directly.

And yes, Andrew, the Lightroom Queen is an excellent resource.

Thanks,

John

mcbroomf

• Mike Broomfield
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2017, 05:33:26 am »

Do you still have LR6?  If you do then I'd suggest that you run it to check that your computer is OK (especially the video card).  I know it would be quite a coincidence if something happened just as you switched to LRCC, but worth a check I think.

If you deleted LR6 you should be able to go back to Adobe and download it again.

jwlimages

« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2017, 09:56:48 pm »

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the thought. LR 6 still runs fine, as does most everything else.

I cleared the preferences in LR Classic, and it helped a good bit - Develop module draws images much more quickly, so I think my graphics card is working well with LR.

Still have the more minor glitches - using 2 monitors in Library module, one with Grid, the other with Loupe or Survey view, as I move from image to image occasionally the second monitor (showing Survey mode) will show just a gray space. Advance to next image, then back shows the image properly on both screens, so it's just a weird display issue that pops up randomly, tho repeatedly.

And the info display I prefer in Develop module definitely does not stick if I exit LR while in Library module. Oddly, sometimes it *does* stick, just as in LR6, but only if I exit LR while still in Develop. Go figure...

Thanks,

John

pflower

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2017, 02:52:22 pm »

For the most part my experience with upgrading to LR Classic has been pretty uneventful.  However two weird anomalies have arisen.

Exporting a photo to Silver Efex Pro was OK, and the resulting image was properly imported back into LR.  In the library view the imported picture showed the changes made in Silver Efex Pro, but when moving to the Develop module what was displayed was the original colour photo with none of the changes made in Silver Efex.  No matter what I did I couldn't get the Develop module to show the new B&W image.

Just this evening the histogram suddenly refused to display the RGB values when the cursor was placed into the image being edited.  I rely on this feature more than the clipping warnings.  But the histogram stubbornly just displayed the iso, focal length of the lens, aperture and exposure.

Taking advice from the standard IT department troubleshooters - turn it off and then turn it on again - I quit LR and restarted.  Both problems vanished.

Odd, annoying but hardly serious.  I am still on OSX 10.11 with an iMac 27 inch Retina display.

Pages: [1]   Go Up