Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cinema Display calibration problems  (Read 2571 times)

jrmintz

Cinema Display calibration problems
« on: September 16, 2006, 10:56:48 pm »

Hi all,

I have an older (maybe four-year-old) 22" Apple Cinema Display. I have begun soft-proofing because the difference between my monitor and prints was too great. I bought a Monaco Optix colorimeter with EZColor software and did several profiles and I can't get anywhere near what the soft-proof images look like. I have some custom profiles for my printer that look similar to the factory profiles, but they're all browner than the monitor images. I also downloaded the demo of BasiCColor and tried that several times with the same result - I can't get the monitor and the soft proofing images close to each other. I tried different white points, different gammas, and the monitor profiles look slightly different from each other but they're all very different from the printer profiles.

To check my methodology I calibrated my Powerbook with EZColor and the Monaco Optix and it worked fine - the custom printer profiles and the monitor image look pretty close. Is there something wrong with my Cinema Display? Are there controls other than the brightness that I'm not aware of?

Thanks,

Seth Glassman

Christopher Sanderson

• photopxl.com
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2006, 08:58:19 am »

FWIW. . . I had an early 23" cinema display that provided grossly different profiles depending where the colorimeter was placed on the screen. Turns out there was a huge shift to green across two areas of the screen. The unit was returned to Apple and replaced.

Try profiling different areas of the screen to see if the profiles returned are different and that my scenario is (hopefully) not yours . . .

jrmintz

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2006, 09:25:03 am »

Try profiling different areas of the screen to see if the profiles returned are different and that my scenario is (hopefully) not yours . . .
[a href=\"index.php?act=findpost&pid=76668\"][{POST_SNAPBACK}][/a]

I will do that, thanks.

jrmintz

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2006, 08:32:21 pm »

I figured it out - I had "Preserve RGB Numbers" checked. I deselected it and everything is fine.

Thanks
« Last Edit: September 18, 2006, 09:00:39 pm by jrmintz »
Pages: [1]   Go Up