Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: View eMotion75 files on external LCD via firewire connection?  (Read 1299 times)

lowep

• http://sites.google.com/site/peterlowefoto/
View eMotion75 files on external LCD via firewire connection?
« on: November 19, 2017, 11:57:50 pm »

Most people here have surely moved on to newer and fancier camera gear but maybe somebody recalls if there is any way to view images from a Sinarback Emotion75 on an external LCD monitor, either immediately before, during or after exposure?

I see this LCD has firewire input but my guess is only devices with Mac osX or Win operating systems that can run Sinar Captureflow or similar programs may be capable of doing this?

I also see that it is quite possible to get a small adapter to convert firewire to usb signal so wonder if it would be possible to hook up and view files from the Emotion75 on any small device that runs MacOSX or Win via it's usb input and such an adapter?
« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 12:01:01 am by lowep »

yaya

• http://yayapro.com
Re: View eMotion75 files on external LCD via firewire connection?
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:29:01 am »

it is quite possible to get a small adapter to convert firewire to usb signal

AFAIK such thing doesn't exist. Two different protocols...
Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One - Cultural Heritage
e: ysh@phaseone.com |

lowep

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:20:08 pm »

AFAIK such thing doesn't exist. Two different protocols...

Since most of the others who posted on this thread confirm what you say then this post in that thread must be wrong:

"You can use an external Firewire to USB video adapter for a laptop, just be sure it is made for that purpose. I use the Pinnacle Moviebox Ultimate unit and it works perfectly, even giving me camera control. You can use the captured video in any editing program, not just Pinnacle's."

Looks from this video demo importing a signal via firewire to thunderbolt is also an option.

But both of these examples relate to converting video signal from a firewire output to a different type of laptop input. That does not mean software programs used to import photos can talk to cameras via this kind of link and that may be the straw that breaks the camels back?

« Last Edit: November 20, 2017, 08:21:21 pm by lowep »

landscapephoto

« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 01:58:58 pm »

"You can use an external Firewire to USB video adapter for a laptop, just be sure it is made for that purpose. I use the Pinnacle Moviebox Ultimate unit and it works perfectly, even giving me camera control. You can use the captured video in any editing program, not just Pinnacle's."

That converter will only allow one to get a DV video stream from firewire to the computer. It will not allow the computer to actually talk to a firewire device.

Looks from this video demo importing a signal via firewire to thunderbolt is also an option.

That will work. Apple has a thunderbolt-firewire adapter which supports the complete firewire protocol (including the video stream that the above device supports). But it needs thunderbolt and not usb.

If Sinar's software still runs on your computer (I have no idea of the requirements) and your computer has a thunderbolt interface, the Apple adapter will work.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2017, 02:02:28 pm by landscapephoto »

Doug Peterson

• http://www.doug-peterson.com
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2017, 03:05:50 pm »

That will work. Apple has a thunderbolt-firewire adapter which supports the complete firewire protocol (including the video stream that the above device supports). But it needs thunderbolt and not usb.

If Sinar's software still runs on your computer (I have no idea of the requirements) and your computer has a thunderbolt interface, the Apple adapter will work.

There are also power requirements of some digital backs that may or may not be fulfilled by the Apple Thunderbolt Adapter.

And to reinforce what others have said, there is no such thing as a FireWire to USB adapter/convertor that would be useful in your context.

lowep

« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2017, 09:11:37 pm »

Thanks for the tips and clarification, good to know what's what and what's not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up