Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: help to decide between Epson surecolor p800 and 5000  (Read 4251 times)

mokenny74

help to decide between Epson surecolor p800 and 5000
« on: November 19, 2017, 07:13:42 pm »

I would appreciate help in deciding between Epson sc p800 or the 5000. I mostly will be printing for personal use,  and intermittently for the occasional exhibition.

Thank you

Mo Kenny

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
Re: help to decide between Epson surecolor p800 and 5000
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2017, 07:22:45 pm »

I reviewed both printers on this website, and Keith Cooper also reviewed them on his website (Northlight Images). Did you read those reviews and find them useful inputs to the choice you wish to make? There are some major differences between these printers and it's really not possible to help you decide which is better for you without a clear and detailed statement of your needs and expectations.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."

mearussi

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2017, 09:25:46 pm »

I can't imagine why you'd want a printer as large as the 5000 for only personal and the occasional pro use.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:38:39 am »

I can't imagine why you'd want a printer as large as the 5000 for only personal and the occasional pro use.

The relative size of the printers - per se - is not really material, it's the technical reasons underlying the size difference that would matter for this choice; I would find it hard to advise between the two without a whole lot more detail on intended usage and outputs as I mentioned above. I'd be pleased to contribute some more substantive thoughts on this choice once I know enough about the context.

ssgphoto

• Brooklyn Editions
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 08:28:49 am »

One practical difference for me is that the p5000 does not support borderless sheet printing; only borderless roll printing.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 08:55:36 am »

One practical difference for me is that the p5000 does not support borderless sheet printing; only borderless roll printing.

Yes and no. There are specific sheet sizes in the SC-P5000 driver for which left and right borderless printing is an option. You would need to trim top and bottom, however.

mearussi

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 09:42:31 am »

For me the 5000 is the obvious choice because I print for resale. Also having owned two 4800s I have no interest in printing from a less rugged printer, and I'm spoiled on having a good quality roll holder and built-in cutter.  But for someone doing low volume it seems overkill.

howardm

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 09:51:51 am »

I print (low volume) for myself and sales on a 3880.  I've been to multiple small art shows and in talking w/ the photographers, almost all of them use the 3880/P800 etc.  I have yet to run into someone w/ a 4900/5000.

YMMV

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 09:52:41 am »

But for someone doing low volume it seems overkill.

Well, you may be right, but let's see what the O/P comes back with - volume isn't the only consideration.

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
    • http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 01:43:56 pm »

For me the choice was easy. The P800 fits in my home office, and the 5000 would not. Besides, I've only printed five prints ever in any size larger than 13x19".
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

mokenny74

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 10:25:15 pm »

Thanks for all the input. I actually have an Epson 4880 and is about 6-7 yrs old. It seems a bit long in the tooth as far printer technology is concerned. My plan is to gift it to a local high school art department and then buy a p880 or the p 5000. I am leaning more towards the latter as I believe the print quality is somewhat better that the p800 ( I stand to be corrected) and more likely to be sturdier and durable. I have already saved some money over the past few years from selling old photographic equipment to be able to afford either of this printer.

Mo kenny

Rand47

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 10:50:46 pm »

Mo,

I had the 4880 sold it for the SC P800 (wanted the HD inkset).  Have to say that I missed a lot of what the 4880 was... e.g., roll paper auto cut, vacuum platen, big paper cassette, general robustness. 

I sold the 800 when the SC P5000 was released.  I had skipped the 4900 based on horror stories re clogging. 

LOVE the 5000, better than 800 in every way (except footprint).  Bottom line, I don’t think you’d be happy going 4880 to 800.

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2017, 08:25:13 am »

Thanks for all the input. I actually have an Epson 4880 and is about 6-7 yrs old. It seems a bit long in the tooth as far printer technology is concerned. My plan is to gift it to a local high school art department and then buy a p880 or the p 5000. I am leaning more towards the latter as I believe the print quality is somewhat better that the p800 ( I stand to be corrected) and more likely to be sturdier and durable. I have already saved some money over the past few years from selling old photographic equipment to be able to afford either of this printer.

Mo kenny

None of this provides a rational basis for a decision. How many square feet a month do you expect to print? Do you need roll-holding capability? Does the nature of your photography require extremely wide gamut reproduction (i.e. lots of very highly saturated colour)? These are the key parameters that would guide a rational decision from the financial and artistic perspectives.

mearussi

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2017, 09:04:36 am »

Mo,

I had the 4880 sold it for the SC P800 (wanted the HD inkset).  Have to say that I missed a lot of what the 4880 was... e.g., roll paper auto cut, vacuum platen, big paper cassette, general robustness. 

I sold the 800 when the SC P5000 was released.  I had skipped the 4900 based on horror stories re clogging. 

LOVE the 5000, better than 800 in every way (except footprint).  Bottom line, I don’t think you’d be happy going 4880 to 800.

Rand
Forgot about the vacuum part. The P800 has a reputation for leaving tooth marks on matte paper. And once you get used to a certain level of quality it's difficult going backwards.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2017, 09:15:58 am »

Forgot about the vacuum part. The P800 has a reputation for leaving tooth marks on matte paper. And once you get used to a certain level of quality it's difficult going backwards.

Why "forget about the vacuum part"? The vacuum is built into the P5000 for reasons, and it works well.
I don't know about this "reputation" of the P800 leaving tooth marks on matte paper. I have put a lot of different matte materials through that printer and haven't seen such. Not denying some people may have observed them from their printers and certain materials, but as a systemic issue, not clear to me.
What is this "certain level of quality" from which one would go backward between the O/P's 4880 and a P800? Depending on the quality parameters you have in mind, in more instances than others I'd bet the P800 comes out the winner.

mearussi

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2017, 09:36:24 am »

Why "forget about the vacuum part"? The vacuum is built into the P5000 for reasons, and it works well.
I don't know about this "reputation" of the P800 leaving tooth marks on matte paper. I have put a lot of different matte materials through that printer and haven't seen such. Not denying some people may have observed them from their printers and certain materials, but as a systemic issue, not clear to me.
What is this "certain level of quality" from which one would go backward between the O/P's 4880 and a P800? Depending on the quality parameters you have in mind, in more instances than others I'd bet the P800 comes out the winner.
I was referring to build quality and conveniences. The 4800s I had were just a lot tougher than the (at the time) corresponding 3800. I just got spoiled on the built-in roll holder and cutter as well as not having all the problems I kept reading about others were having with the 3800/3880 (such as tooth marks).

Daverich

« Reply #16 on: November 23, 2017, 12:28:33 pm »

I too had a 4800 and when it died bought the P5000. I really wasn't prepared for the difference between the two printers. I always thought the 4800 was a robust printer but the P5000 is built like a tank. It's in a completely different class. There are a number of nice improvements over the 4800 but the #1 improvement for me is that during the two months that I've had the P5000 I haven't experienced a single clogged nozzle. Not...a...single...one. I've owned Epson printers going all the way back to the Photo EX and this is the first one that I can print on without first running a nozzle check. There are a number of other things I like about it that I believe it shares with the P800 but I thought I'd list them anyway. Auto switch photo/matte ink. I haven't printed on matte paper in more than a decade and now I can again. Leaving roll paper loaded while printing sheets. The printer uses whatever you tell it to from the print dialog. I've reprinted work that I'd previously printed on the 4800 to compare and while the increase in gamut isn't huge, it is noticeable. Did I mention the lack of clogged nozzles? In spite of it's size, weight and cost, if it's was within someone's budget, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the P5000. Overkill or not.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 07:06:55 am by Daverich »

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2017, 01:37:08 pm »

I was referring to build quality and conveniences. The 4800s I had were just a lot tougher than the (at the time) corresponding 3800. I just got spoiled on the built-in roll holder and cutter as well as not having all the problems I kept reading about others were having with the 3800/3880 (such as tooth marks).

OK, but obviously you are comparing two previous iteration technologies, including references to other peoples' problems the extent and depth of which you can't be sure about, from which to draw inferences about two current models, each of which has their bespoke advances from the previous models; a trifle risky if I may suggest.

mearussi

« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2017, 11:48:30 pm »

OK, but obviously you are comparing two previous iteration technologies, including references to other peoples' problems the extent and depth of which you can't be sure about, from which to draw inferences about two current models, each of which has their bespoke advances from the previous models; a trifle risky if I may suggest.
Not really. There have been plenty of people complaining about the P800 leaving marks on various papers on Jose's site (and dpreview's digital darkroom forum as well) over the last several months. It just seems an inevitable problem when you don't have a vacuum advance. I don't know from personal experience because the 4800 was my first 17" printer, but if you read enough complaints from others you have to figure there's some basis for their problem.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9YXaSulpM90vC24lmAeZA

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2017, 12:04:57 am »

Well, I was responding to post #15 in which you were talking about other peoples' complaints with the 3800/3880, not the P800. If we're changing the conversation to the P800 and  that's what's going on, I don't think such a problem should be "inevitable". It shouldn't happen - printers shouldn't be leaving marks on the photos. I have to say I've seen no evidence of it from my P800 and I've run lots of different materials through it for my printer and paper testing work on this site.I would be curious to know what percentage of units sold are producing this issue and whether it is a usage matter or an Epson defect before concluding whether it would be a generic enough problem to steer a purchase decision. Of course those who do buy the P800 and experience this problem should get it resolved during the warranty period, regardless whether it's a usage or an Epson generated issue.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up