Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down

Author Topic: This is art.  (Read 14141 times)

farbschlurf

• fototypo
This is art.
« on: November 18, 2017, 02:11:32 pm »

When your pictures are printed on a shopping bag ...  :-\

Telecaster

Re: This is art.
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2017, 04:18:06 pm »

At least it isn’t *da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi;D

-Dave-

*Allegedly, that is. I gather the painting started as a Leonardo but may not have been completed by him, and at any rate has had a lotta work done to it over the centuries.

Rob C

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 07:05:34 am »

At least it isn’t *da Vinci’s Salvator Mundi;D

-Dave-

*Allegedly, that is. I gather the painting started as a Leonardo but may not have been completed by him, and at any rate has had a lotta work done to it over the centuries.

Money is blind.

Rob

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 07:48:37 am »

Can you just imagine what a half-decent image by Leonardo would go for?

Rob C

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 07:57:17 am »

No, but a helluva lot more than one by yours truly ever will!

:-)

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

• http://myrvaagnes.com
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 01:41:18 pm »

I think I'll choose one of my own lesser images and offer a single print for sale for a half billion dollars.    8)
-Eric Myrvaagnes (visit my website: http://myrvaagnes.com)

Rob C

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2017, 07:07:24 am »

I think I'll choose one of my own lesser images and offer a single print for sale for a half billion dollars.    8)

Huh! I heard about that print and the poison-pen killer hidden under the mount at the back!

One tiny question: is the list on archival support?

Rob

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2017, 09:19:11 am »

Huh! I heard about that print and the poison-pen killer hidden under the mount at the back!

One tiny question: is the list on archival support?

Rob
The list should remain archivally intact, until it is placed in any light strong enough to read it, when it will fade completely in approximately 1 microsecond.

So I hope your check is in the mail, Rob.

Eric

Telecaster

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2017, 04:07:35 pm »

The list should remain archivally intact, until it is placed in any light strong enough to read it, when it will fade completely in approximately 1 microsecond.

My neutrino scanning gizmo doesn’t need no stinkin’ light. All your list are belong to me!  ;)

-Dave-

mediumcool

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2017, 09:56:15 am »

Image?
FaceBook facebook.com/ian.goss.39   www.mlkshk.com/user/mediumcool

Telecaster

« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2017, 02:57:15 pm »

Image?

Leonardo was a multimedia dude!

-Dave-

Eric Myrvaagnes

« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2017, 11:48:41 pm »

Leonardo was a multimedia dude!

-Dave-
His videos seemed a bit weak to me, and his tweets just never got off the ground, IMHO.   8)

Telecaster

« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2017, 12:11:06 am »

His videos seemed a bit weak to me, and his tweets just never got off the ground, IMHO.   8)

Lame Instagram too. In 7 years only one pic, and that one's a focus test.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #13 on: December 17, 2017, 05:50:46 am »

Lame Instagram too. In 7 years only one pic, and that one's a focus test.

-Dave-

Thanks for the link; I enjoyed most of it until it became obvious that the writer, too, had no idea when to quit. Or he was being smart, and proving his point without writing so.

Regarding "Adoration..." I have to say that I hold a different opinion: I think the artist was simply developing a new genre, a new style of graphic representation - almost an entirely new school of it. Perhaps it isn't unfinished at all, but very much completed in the new style. I like the concept a lot - almost photographic in the digital sense, because as we all know, a digital picture need never end (be completed), which is also its own greatest failure: the temptation to mess yet further is almost irresitible, if only because it's cheap and eminently undoable which, of course, is not the case with a wet print unless you include ferri in the afterwork... oh yeah, the new school of painting scored because its main man did resist temptation and stopped before going over the edge. It was the entire point.

(As my fading hope about Brexit, and its dreadful effect on my savings and my pension. Yep, I notice because of constant currency exchange needs stuffing it in my face; those still in the UK have escaped nothing: they just don't notice it yet in the sense of its true attribution and implications because the exchanging is being done, invisibly, by somebody else on their behalf: they think in terms of nebulous concepts such as inflation, full employment etc. and buzz words such as hard or soft Brexit without really seeing the inescapable damage already done to the finance and business sectors that fuel everything else. They expected instant measurements to prove or disprove...)

The Mona Lisa must have known: it's in her face.

Feel much brighter now, off to make a Nescaf' and suck on a biscuit.

;-)

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #14 on: December 17, 2017, 03:43:51 pm »

My guitar (or keyboard) playing these days consists almost entirely of messing about 'til I come up with a chord progression or rhythmic pattern or fragment of melody I like. Then I play it 'til the playing becomes a matter of muscle memory. At that point it might develop into something more, or it might not. Years and decades ago I'd feel compelled to turn such things into fully formed pieces, but now I don't care one way or the other. Making a new thing, even if it's just a fragment, is a satisfying end in itself.

My guess is Leonardo started the "Adoration" with something more conventional in mind. Whether he stopped working on it because he got stuck or bored or distracted, or because he felt he'd made something fresh & new & done…dunno. I do feel it's a glorious work as it is.

As for the other thing  ;)  grievance and loathing are powerful motivators, often superseding economic concerns. (Come to think of it, this likely applies to artists as much as anyone else.) Will the slower & longer-term drip of diminishing financial health be enough to overcome the immediate endorphin rush of being given political permission to despise? For anyone suckered by the scam in the first place, probably not.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 04:05:26 pm »

My guitar (or keyboard) playing these days consists almost entirely of messing about 'til I come up with a chord progression or rhythmic pattern or fragment of melody I like. Then I play it 'til the playing becomes a matter of muscle memory. At that point it might develop into something more, or it might not. Years and decades ago I'd feel compelled to turn such things into fully formed pieces, but now I don't care one way or the other. Making a new thing, even if it's just a fragment, is a satisfying end in itself.

My guess is Leonardo started the "Adoration" with something more conventional in mind. Whether he stopped working on it because he got stuck or bored or distracted, or because he felt he'd made something fresh & new & done…dunno. I do feel it's a glorious work as it is.

As for the other thing  ;)  grievance and loathing are powerful motivators, often superseding economic concerns. (Come to think of it, this likely applies to artists as much as anyone else.) Will the slower & longer-term drip of diminishing financial health be enough to overcome the immediate endorphin rush of being given political permission to despise? For anyone suckered by the scam in the first place, probably not.

-Dave-

I can understand that sense of racing ahead into the new: in a certain sense, it's part of keeping interest alive and functioning. It has its reflection in non-pro photography: once you know that you really can do what you want to do, then you are faced with the prospect of Groundhog Day. Perhaps the only rescue from terminal boredom is changing to radically different self-imposed themes - as mentioned in another thread recently.

It's opposite can be found in pro life, where if you get known for something, you may get bored with it, but it puts bread on the table, which is the thing upon which the rest of the game depends. In fact, you may well find pleasure in distilling that style down to its essentials, and discovering just how that can be done.

On the other: some day you must experience the UK's best-selling tabloids. No, perhaps not. But they do have the power to form opinion, just like the so-called social media sites... it's why all governments court such "journalists" as best they can. I do wonder, though, whether one should really and fully blame the journos: they all have jobs to safeguard. Is there a free press?

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 12:03:32 am »

On the other: some day you must experience the UK's best-selling tabloids. No, perhaps not. But they do have the power to form opinion, just like the so-called social media sites... it's why all governments court such "journalists" as best they can. I do wonder, though, whether one should really and fully blame the journos: they all have jobs to safeguard. Is there a free press?

I get a little of the UK's best  :)  from my Scots & English cousins. Don't want any more than that! The equivalents here are mostly *TV stations rather than print media. One of my dad's former engineering protégés, with whom I keep in periodic touch, is forever complaining about people glued to their smartgizmos and websites and social media platforms…while spending most of his afternoons & evenings glued to his idiot box propaganda conduit of choice.

There will always be pathogens. It's up to us to develop antibodies. Or succumb.

-Dave-

*And radio
« Last Edit: December 18, 2017, 04:31:41 pm by Telecaster »

Rob C

« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 10:09:35 am »

Dave, if you want a sort of ersatz version of our musical culture during the 1960s pirate radio period, here's a link to Radio Caroline (on 199! as they would announce) which ended up being two different transmitting boats moored outwith the 12mile limit of UK territorial waters - one serving the south and the other the north.

https://tunein.com/radio/Radio-Caroline-Flashback-s249564/

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #18 on: December 18, 2017, 04:54:28 pm »

Rob, I got to hear Radio Caroline in summer 1964, though I don't remember it per se. It was only many years later while talking with one of my cousins that she sparked a memory of the two of us dancing around to the music playing in her older sister's flat. "Radio Caroline on 199!" she said with a laugh.

I'll give the link a listen when I'm back home.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #19 on: December 18, 2017, 05:21:02 pm »

Rob, I got to hear Radio Caroline in summer 1964, though I don't remember it per se. It was only many years later while talking with one of my cousins that she sparked a memory of the two of us dancing around to the music playing in her older sister's flat. "Radio Caroline on 199!" she said with a laugh.

I'll give the link a listen when I'm back home.

-Dave-

Yep, an enchanted era, if you were doing the right things! That was the problem: those things were ever difficult to break into, but if you could, the magic could be real enough.

Of course, the DJs doing their stuff on the link don't have the original silly, excited charm of, say, Tony Blackburn and his dog - probably fake - Arnold, who'd offer the lonely listener a friendly bark now and then. I say lonely, because photography was, essentially, a solitary occupation where you had moments of high-voltage collaboration followed by eons of work in the darkroom, mostly by yourself and the aural friends you switched on. Got me through many a cold night, where all I craved was getting home and into my bed. I think I enjoyed it, though.

Rob
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up