Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: Discontent  (Read 16531 times)

Rand47

Re: Discontent
« Reply #80 on: December 03, 2017, 10:00:30 pm »

That is, once the discussion is over, how are you farther ahead?

Perhaps having commonly agreed to terms facilitates “actual” communication rather than just talking at each other - but mostly listening to our own narrative?

Rand
Rand Scott Adams

Rob C

« Reply #81 on: December 04, 2017, 08:21:00 am »

How many times have I done that?  Lots.  I have sliders and jibs, light gear, lens, etc that i seldom use ... thank God for eBay. 

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What's the deal with Tapatalk as a means of transmission from iPad to LuLa? Why is it better than not using it?

I don't use/have it, which is why I ask. Again, not meant as a trick or a trap.

Rob C

Telecaster

« Reply #82 on: December 04, 2017, 06:06:58 pm »

Tapatalk is a mobile device thing, aimed mainly at smartphones. Since iPads run the same operating system as iPhones they get caught in the net when LuLa does its “what device is this?” queries.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #83 on: December 05, 2017, 04:41:50 pm »

Tapatalk is a mobile device thing, aimed mainly at smartphones. Since iPads run the same operating system as iPhones they get caught in the net when LuLa does its “what device is this?” queries.

-Dave-

So far, I don't think I've had a problem like that on the 'Pad, but yes on the cellphone.

While we're on these devices, is there a way to clean the iPhone of cookies etc. assuming that cookies are able to find anything in an iPhone on which to hang? In fact, is there a regular cleaning programme such as CCleaner for computers that's available for iPhones - on the premise that there's some kind of hard drive or similar in a tablet that does need such tender attention? For all I know, maybe there isn't such a thing inside this little machine at all. As Chuck said: too much monkey business for me to get involved in!

Rob

Telecaster

« Reply #84 on: December 05, 2017, 05:33:54 pm »

While we're on these devices, is there a way to clean the iPhone of cookies etc. assuming that cookies are able to find anything in an iPhone on which to hang? In fact, is there a regular cleaning programme such as CCleaner for computers that's available for iPhones - on the premise that there's some kind of hard drive or similar in a tablet that does need such tender attention?

In the Settings utility there’s a config section for the Safari (browser) app. With iOS 11 the security settings are as in the attached pic (with my particular preferences chosen). Tapping on Clear History and Website Data wipes cookies among other things. There are fewer options with earlier iOS versions.

-Dave-

Rob C

« Reply #85 on: December 06, 2017, 04:24:22 am »

In the Settings utility there’s a config section for the Safari (browser) app. With iOS 11 the security settings are as in the attached pic (with my particular preferences chosen). Tapping on Clear History and Website Data wipes cookies among other things. There are fewer options with earlier iOS versions.

-Dave-

Thanks Dave, I never got that far in Settings: all I do is check WiFi and Bluetooth! I'm alays nervous about destroying the set up as it is, which is as my kids left it. Another version of RFM, then...

;-)

Rob

Rob C

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2017, 11:48:38 am »

Rob, yes, if I could no longer print I simply wouldn't bother pressing that button.

:-(

I've been thinking about this since you posted. Okay, I know you have the skill set to make good images by hand, too, but if you didn't, wouldn't the pleasure of seeing, framing and capturing an image that you could only - perhaps - see on a monitor count as worthwhile?

As you know, I haven't printed anything for ages, but I do still find a certain joy in making photographs that will end up on my website and not on a wall. Having written which, even with a print, unless somebody actually displays it somewhere, how are you, as photographer, any the better off than if you'd just put it into your site for your own convenient viewing?

We've all had chats on LuLa about the tactile quality of wet prints and of digital ones, too. However, unless one actually makes the thing oneself, by hand, then tactile qualities vanish behind protective glass and become evened out across the spectrum of papers we can access. Once mounted, framed and glassed, not much difference to looking at them on a good monitor except that one can, on the monitor, avoid seeing the room behind one, too.

Perhaps a touch of the devil's advocate here, but really, can not printing allow you to abandon and lose the other pleasures of your Leica system?

Rob

KLaban

• Keith Laban Photography
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2017, 12:12:41 pm »

I've been thinking about this since you posted. Okay, I know you have the skill set to make good images by hand, too, but if you didn't, wouldn't the pleasure of seeing, framing and capturing an image that you could only - perhaps - see on a monitor count as worthwhile?

Rob, no, it would be no substitute. I see the print as the physical manifestation that I can handle, physically move to view in varying lights and make judgements accordingly. I'm not reliant on a particular screen and not confused by varying screens. I had this physical manifestation with my illustrative work and my painting and would sorely miss it with my photographic work. The finalised print is the product of my labours.

As you know, I haven't printed anything for ages, but I do still find a certain joy in making photographs that will end up on my website and not on a wall. Having written which, even with a print, unless somebody actually displays it somewhere, how are you, as photographer, any the better off than if you'd just put it into your site for your own convenient viewing?

600x400 pixels at 72ppi doesn't excite me. BTW, I don't display my prints.

We've all had chats on LuLa about the tactile quality of wet prints and of digital ones, too. However, unless one actually makes the thing oneself, by hand, then tactile qualities vanish behind protective glass and become evened out across the spectrum of papers we can access. Once mounted, framed and glassed, not much difference to looking at them on a good monitor except that one can, on the monitor, avoid seeing the room behind one, too.

Again see above.

Perhaps a touch of the devil's advocate here, but really, can not printing allow you to abandon and lose the other pleasures of your Leica system?

I can't conceive of a situation that would result in me being able to use my cameras but not being able to print. If ever it happens I'll let you know ;-)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2017, 04:02:44 pm by KLaban »
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up