Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Printing formats: camera vs frame  (Read 1332 times)

Reiep

• Pierre Pichot - Urban Photographer
Printing formats: camera vs frame
« on: November 15, 2017, 09:28:26 am »

Hello there,

I've been selling some prints in the last few months, but I'm facing an issue that kind of puzzles me: the frames' ratio vs the camera sensor's ratio.

Typically the sensors have a 3:2 ratio, but frames are usually on squarer ratios of 4:3, 5:4 or 7:5 at best. I can't find that many frames with mats in the 3:2 ratio, and my (potential) clients have raised this as an issue too.

Just crop you'd say  My problem here is that while some photos may have room for a crop, a majority has interesting details on the edges too. So how do you do when you get requested a ratio that isn't the original one ? Or maybe, do you even plan it during the shot e.g. have everything in a 5:4 area, the rest being croppable margin ?

Thanks!

dgberg

• http://bergsprintstudio.com http://bergscustomfurniture.com
Re: Printing formats: camera vs frame
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 10:40:00 am »

Ratio is never an issue. (At least for us.)
Print whatever you want and either make or purchase the proper frame.
You can purchase chops or preassembled.
Nothing is really standard when you are in  the framing business. We treat everything as custom.

Two options.
Give the customer a print based on no crop with the up charge for the custom cut mat and frame.
Crop to one of the standard sizes for off the shelf mats and frames.

Reiep

• Pierre Pichot - Urban Photographer
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 10:49:28 am »

Thanks Dan for your answer. For now I sell only the prints, nor the frames, with my usual 3:2 ratio. I'll study the possibility of custom mat, but until now all I've seen was quite expensive, that's why I've preferred to delegate it to the customer. But print + custom mat + frame = too much for many... That's why I'm trying to figure out what to do to from now on, trying to accomodate with standard sizes.

framah

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2017, 11:22:13 am »

The only way to solve this is to have mats cut to the "standard" frame size you want to use and have the openings in the mats fit your photo size.

With this type of matting, it is called "opposites equal"... meaning that the opposite sides are the  same width, thus keeping a sense of balance to the matting.

You are going to have to spend some money to sell your photos.That's all there is to it.
If a mat cost you $15 to have it cut, then add $20 to the final cost.... plus what ever it cost to add the backer.

On another side to this... if your photos won't sell unless they are cheap, then your photos aren't good enough to sell, period.
Find another level of customers or another venue for selling where they are willing to spend a bit more.

Too many "artists" insist that their customers would never pay THAT much for my paintings/photos!!
You will never know unless you put a higher price on them to find out.

"It took a  lifetime of suffering and personal sacrifice to develop my keen aesthetic sense."

BradSmith

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2017, 02:59:38 pm »

Relep,
Here is what I settled on.  I mostly frame unusual aspect ratios because I crop all my images to look their very best.  Then I frame them myself and standardize my materials as much as possible. Aluminum sectional frames....always black, 4 ply white alpha cellulose "conservation" mat board and acid free 3/16 foam core for backing.  I've ordered and keep on hand at least 4 sections of 16, 18, 22, 24, 26, 28 and 30 inch aluminum frame pieces.  I decide how large to make the print, then add from 2 to 3.5" for borders and see what even number frame size works considering my frame sections.  Example: Printed image dimension = 12x19.5  I'll then choose a frame size of either 16x24 (borders = 2.0 x 2.25) or 18x24 (borders = 3.0x3.25).  I used to order frames individually like this for each print that I sold, but it took more time and added framing section shipping expense to every sale.  So I opted for keeping pieces in hand at set, 2" increment lengths.  Then I individually cut my foam core and mat to the frame size and custom cut the mat opening as needed.  Finally, my local glass shop sells me custom cut glass at my desired size for $10 apiece.
Brad
« Last Edit: November 16, 2017, 08:53:02 pm by BradSmith »

patjoja

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2017, 04:51:48 pm »

Hello there,

I've been selling some prints in the last few months, but I'm facing an issue that kind of puzzles me: the frames' ratio vs the camera sensor's ratio.

Typically the sensors have a 3:2 ratio, but frames are usually on squarer ratios of 4:3, 5:4 or 7:5 at best. I can't find that many frames with mats in the 3:2 ratio, and my (potential) clients have raised this as an issue too.

Just crop you'd say  My problem here is that while some photos may have room for a crop, a majority has interesting details on the edges too. So how do you do when you get requested a ratio that isn't the original one ? Or maybe, do you even plan it during the shot e.g. have everything in a 5:4 area, the rest being croppable margin ?

Thanks!

I feel your pain.  I've been over this ground again and again for the last three years. 

The bottom line is that you need to use the mat to go from your print aspect ratio to a standard frame size.  For instance, a 10x15 (3:2) print fits nicely in a 16x20 frame.  A 12x18 print fits in an 18x24 frame, etc.  You're not going to get completely equal borders top/bottom and side to side, but you should end of with something that looks good.  Check out a company called Frame Destination.  They have a good on-line program for laying out prints and mats, plus a large list of 'standard' sizes.

Patrick

nirpat89

• Photography by Niranjan Patel
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2017, 05:24:14 pm »

Hello there,

Thanks!

If your image is 3:2, then the mat and the frame size won't be 3:2.  For example, if your print a 10.5"x7" image (most likely size for me when using 8.5"x11" papers) and you use 2" borders all around then the mat/frame size would turn out to be 14.5"x11" which is 2.63x2, less than 3:2.  What I do is standardize on 11"x14" frames and use 2" border along the short side and 1.75" border along the long side.  Or if you use 12"x16" frame, the borders will be 2.5" and 2.75" on the short and the long sides respectively. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up