Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: New 24" printer - thinking Canon 2000  (Read 2376 times)

Dan Wells

New 24" printer - thinking Canon 2000
« on: November 13, 2017, 04:09:31 pm »

It looks like my Epson 7900 is probably down for the count with a piezo failure. It gave me five years, and I'm looking for someone who wants it for Piezography (it has nine good channels and a blown yellow). I'm looking for the replacement, and my current thought is a Canon PRO-2000. Since I'm a landscape photographer who goes on long shooting trips, my printer sits for substantial periods of time (sometimes a month or more). I make about 50 final 24x36" prints a year, figure 3-4 times that with test prints and the like, plus some smaller prints, and I'm hoping to double or maybe triple that with some printing for other artists in the next year or two. For a five to ten (twenty if I get some work printing for others) roll per year print load, I'm not sure I can keep an Epson going, especially with the burst nature of my printing.
     I've been reading that the P series is a lot less clog prone than their predecessors, so maybe an  Epson P7000 IS a consideration - is it still not recommended for long absences with the new heads?
    The dark horse is, of course, HP - the speed doesn't bother me, but the age of the Z3200ps without an update might. I don't have room for the 44", even though it's a lot lighter than the competing 44" models - it's still very long. The 24" Z3200ps looks like it sells for almost the price of the 44" (and nearly $1000 more than the best quote I have on the Canon). How does it compare to the Pro 2000 in gamut, specifically on baryta type papers. How does the Z3200ps handle the MK/PK switch?
     In practice, I've printed quite a bit of matte paper when I've been using Canons (I've had both Canon and Epson, and I've used HP GIS/CAD printers, but never their photo printers over the years, and I've generally had somewhat better experiences with the Canons) - I'll throw a roll of matte in the printer to see how a given image looks. I haven't used much matte on the Epsons, because of the ink  switch - is it worth switching the printer over because I think "that might look good on watercolor paper"?

mearussi

Re: New 24" printer - thinking Canon 2000
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 09:45:37 am »

My dilemma as well with my 9900 recently dying. From my research the main differences between the HP Z3200 and the others is limited gamut and more fragile inks. Here's an old test but it still has some relevant info:
http://www.on-sight.com/canon-x300-printer-review/

Another review mentioned that the tonal gradation isn't as fine on the HP as Canon or Epson. I'm also concerned about whether the HP inks have the same vibrancy as the latest Canon and Epson, though it still holds the record for display life.

For me the choice is between the Canon Pro 4000 and Epson P9000.

From my research so far the Canon seems to win on usability with its second roller, less ink usage, ink reservoir tanks and non-plugging head (though there have been no complaints so far from Epson users).

The gamuts are similar with the Epson ahead on midtone greens and yellows and Canon ahead on darker blues.

The Epson is better at handling thick/stiff papers and the display life is known as 200 years (Canon has yet to publish any display life figures, though the early published figures were 45-50 years, which was soon yanked down from Canon's site).

Since I'm especially concerned about display life right now I'm leaning towards Epson. But if the Canon inks test out to be the same then Canon would be my choice.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 09:49:47 am by mearussi »

Ryan Mack

• Ryan Mack on Facebook
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 11:10:01 am »

I keep seeing people say Canon hasn't posted ink longevity information but google turns up this page... why isn't this the answer we are looking for?

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART164634&actp=RSS

mearussi

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 11:40:29 am »

Thanks, I didn't know it was still out there. So Canon's display life is between 45-60 years vs 200 years for Epson. So it sounds like Epson is the best way for me to go.

patjoja

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2017, 02:04:42 pm »

I keep seeing people say Canon hasn't posted ink longevity information but google turns up this page... why isn't this the answer we are looking for?

https://support.usa.canon.com/kb/index?page=content&id=ART164634&actp=RSS

Here is what Wilhelm Imaging Research documented for the Canon Lucia inks printed on an iPF8300. SEE HERE.

That should be very close to the new Lucia Ink sets.

Patrick

mearussi

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2017, 07:11:57 pm »

Here is what Wilhelm Imaging Research documented for the Canon Lucia inks printed on an iPF8300. SEE HERE.

That should be very close to the new Lucia Ink sets.

Patrick
I'm familiar with those, and yes we can hope the new inks will be similar, but we have no way of knowing for a fact until the final results have been posted.

erlingmmoe

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2017, 03:35:04 am »

Very happy with my PRO-2000, printing on Canon roll and sheet papers, and special papers from Mojab and Canson. I've had it for a year without problems. It sucked up almost all the ink it was delivered with for set-up, but has been moderate in usage after that.
- ErlingMM

enduser

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2017, 07:32:51 pm »

There seem to be very few if any clogging dramas with the new Epsons. If the Epson heads do last the life of the machine now, which they seem to have done on the earlier machines that didn't clog,  then they actually come out ahead of Canon, which have a head life in a busy machine of about 2 -3 years.

jimcamel

• Film from the 70's; digital and computers now.
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2018, 09:07:32 am »

g'morning, Dan......moving forward in time 4 months - it's now March .... I find I am in exactly the same dilemma as you - and wondered what decision you made regarding replacing your 7900 ?   I think mine is toast, too, for all the same reasons.
JC. Photography and computers ... how could that not be great ?

Garnick

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2018, 09:47:23 am »

Hi Dan,

Since I've been an Epson user for many years, I cannot offer any comments about either the Canon or HP Printers  I've been a member of this forum for many years as well, and during that time I've read a lot of good things about both of the other two printer models, especially Canon.  Before the Epson SP9900 I was using two 7600s and an SP4000 for smaller jobs.  I sold the 9900 when I moved my business to my home location and then bought the P7000.  I can definitely report that the P7000 has been the best Epson Wide Format printer I have used, as far as the "clogging" issue is concerned.  I have now been using it for almost a year, with very few cleaning cycles required.  And of course it produces excellent quality prints, as one would expect.

Gary     
Gary N.
"My memory isn't what it used to be. As a matter of fact it never was." (gan)
Pages: [1]   Go Up