Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: DXO PhotoLab print dialog (Windows)  (Read 1754 times)

rasworth

DXO PhotoLab print dialog (Windows)
« on: November 11, 2017, 05:37:34 pm »

PhotoLab presents a reasonably complete print dialog, including a resolution field.  However I can't find information as to whether or not PhotoLab is resizing the image to the specified resolution prior to feeding it to the printer driver.  There is no print to file option, so I haven't found a means to intercept and examine the rasterized output.  The pdf user manual has no additional information.  The field unit label is "dpi", which is confusing, I'm assuming they really mean ppi.  The maximum allowed value is 1200.

There is also a sharpening field, 0 to 100 - the pdf manual states there is no way to examine the sharpening, have to "experiment" with actual printing.

Anybody have an idea as to how to determine what they're doing with the print data output?

Richard Southworth

rasworth

Re: DXO PhotoLab print dialog (Windows)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 12:41:48 pm »

Installed "Universal Document Converter", a virtual printer driver that after a brief investigation seems to be one of the better.  Then I used the print dialog in DXO PhotoLab to create the three attached images, each a 100% crop of a 7.5" x 10" original:

1. 72 ppi, 50% sharpening

2. 360 ppi, 50% sharpening

3. 360 ppi, 100% sharpening

It's clear comparing the 72ppi and 360ppi images that DXO PhotoLab is resizing the original image per their resolution field.  I haven't compared their sharpening to Lightroom yet, next experiment.

Richard Southworth

rasworth

Re: DXO PhotoLab print dialog (Windows)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2017, 03:02:55 pm »

I completed the experiments by running the same image from Photolab into Lightroom Classic, using the LR print dialog.  Print to file, 360 ppi, sharpening set to high.  Not much difference by my estimation, maybe a slightly smaller halo than the Photolab version at 100% sharpening.

I'm reasonably impressed with Photolab, can arrive at a good quality raw conversion with less effort than ACR/Lightroom.  The print module doesn't have all of the options available in Lightroom, but it certainly seems adequate for most output.

Richard Southworth

Pages: [1]   Go Up