Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: Lightroom Classic new behavior  (Read 9144 times)

pearlstreet

Re: Lightroom Classic new behavior
« Reply #40 on: November 14, 2017, 10:24:50 am »

NVIDIA probably set the default to DirectX as most buyers are gamers and that's what they need.  NVIDIA support OperGL as shown:  https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl  I'm sure that the Adobe prompt you mentioned was a message to switch the GPU over manually (I don't know if it can be done automatically by LR; it sounds like no).

Alan does this mean I should download and use one of the drivers from that link? My card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti which is on that list.

Thanks, Sharon

PS: I got burned on the name brand computer models when I bought my first desktop pc - a top of the line Compaq that couldn't run photoshop because of a bottleneck in how it used ram. I wish there had been social media then, Compaq would have replaced it.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 10:28:16 am by Sharon VL »

Alan Goldhammer

• A Goldhammer Photography
« Reply #41 on: November 14, 2017, 10:39:18 am »

Alan does this mean I should download and use one of the drivers from that link? My card is an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti which is on that list.

Thanks, Sharon

PS: I got burned on the name brand computer models when I bought my first desktop pc - a top of the line Compaq that couldn't run photoshop because of a bottleneck in how it used ram. I wish there had been social media then, Compaq would have replaced it.
I'm hesitant to advise you on this one.  I have a GTX960 that I believe auto adjusts to the application depending on whether it uses DirectX or OpenGL.  I would ask the person/company that build your workstation.

EDIT ADDED:  Also that page is focused on developers.  See the first part of this page:  https://developer.nvidia.com/opengl-driver  and it refers you to the consumer site to get the latest drivers.  I use GeForce Experience and that automatically downloads drivers.  As I noted, your system builder can give you the best advice.

pearlstreet

« Reply #42 on: November 14, 2017, 10:46:27 am »

Thank you, Alan.

Mark D Segal

• Contributor
    • http://www.markdsegal.com
« Reply #43 on: November 14, 2017, 11:55:36 am »

It is a public secret that Adobe software is very buggy and that is mainly due feature bloat in all of their products. Using non-standard hardware is very common on Windows and most of my software runs fine regarding of the hardware it is on. Furthermore, self-built computers are using components based on standards, and in general also the same kind of components that you will find in a Mac or Linux computer. I am an avid gamer and almost all gaming rigs are custom built and this doesn't hamper performance (although one system might perform better than the other for a certain game). Gaming happens to be one of the applications that pushes systems most, so if game developers manage to optimize, why doesn't Adobe?

Furthermore, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that Adobe is essentially forking Lightroom into two branches: Lightroom Classic and Lightroom CC. This essentially means that their resources, including engineering and testing, are now split. This makes me believe, regardless of what Adobe says (they are not known for keeping their word), that Classic (and the name is a clear indicator) is now in maintenance mode with a much smaller team. I wouldn't say it won't get any new features or updates, but the code base isn't going to chance significantly, major UI update full revision. That full revision has already arrived: it's called Lightroom CC. And I believe their strategy is similar to what Apple did with Final Cut Pro > Final Cut Pro X and Aperture > Photos (although it can be contested to what extend they succeeded with Photos, unlike Final Cut Pro X which is now a very solid feature rich application). This means that over the next few years, Lightroom CC will involve into a more feature-rich product in line with Adobe's vision on modern image management and development. Ultimately, the product will be better for it and Adobe will reach a bigger audience (if their value proposition is good enough vs Apple Photos / Google Photos). 

This blog by Peter Krogh is an interesting read http://thedambook.com/lightroom-innovators-dilemma/ and I believe he nailed it in his analysis. I believe Adobe is doing the right thing but I also think they have been milking existing customers for far too long. And I also think you can correlate the drop in big updates to Lightroom with the start of the development of Lightroom Mobile (what is now CC).

TLDR: I still think that overall Lightroom Classic is still the most holistic and complete DAM/Developer with some great features, an open plug-in infrastructure and overall good image quality (but both Capture One and DxO get more out my images, so I use Lightroom mainly as DAM and DxO as developer). Essentially you're paying Adobe $100-$120 a year for Camera updates, unless you make good use of Photoshop in the package.

Hard to know where to begin with this:

(1) Sorry, the secret is so public I've never heard it before, but maybe that's just naive me.
(2) What is feature bloat? One person's bloat is another person's useful feature. Aimless criticism with no objective merit.
(3) What makes you so sure you can compare gaming with Adobe image editing software? Do you know the inner programming of each well enough to sustain this kind of generaliztion?
(4) How do you know they didn't bring more staff on for managing the application split?
(5) How do you know they even need more staff for this? (You wouldn't unless you worked for them and then you wouldn't be allowed to write this stuff.)
(6) How do you know Classic is in "maintenance mode" - do you sit at the Board table where such decisions would be made?
(7) What do you mean by "milking customers for far too long"? You don't think all those customers who don't like being milked for "far too long" would have left them by now? There are options. People decide what is worthwhile and vote accordingly with their choices. Seems the value proposition hasn't failed either them or most of the customers yet. But this is open for on-going evaluation.
(8) If you were to make a catalog of the all the improvements and additions to LR since the time it was first launched up to this very version you wouldn't be saying we are only paying for camera updates. It's just factually wrong. But again, what matters henceforth is the rate of improvement going forward and their attention to minimizing serious bugs with new launches, matters we can evaluate over time.
Mark D Segal (formerly MarkDS)
Author: "Scanning Workflows with SilverFast 8....."
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up